What's your opinion on the possibility of both McDavid + Drai being hart finalists this season?

Do you think both McDavid + Drai should be hart finalists this season? And will they?

• Total voters

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
That is quite a change in tone. Let's agree to disagree.
Didn't have my morning coffee before my first post.

Regardless, the best player on a bubble team deserves MVP is flawed method of voting. Last time it happened, it was awarded to Taylor Hall in a season where both MacKinnon (took his team to playoffs) or McDavid (missed playoffs) deserved it more.

Like I said, guys like Hedman, Matthews, Kane, Barkov, Marchand all deserve recognition. Sorry they play for a good team

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
McDavid could not play another game this season and still possibly end up winning it, that's how good he's been. He's the clear winner, I don't see the point in even nominating someone else tbh.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
My logic is simple. The better a player is - the more valuable he is.
If McDrai are the top 2 best players (as you could make a convincing argument they are this season) - they are also the 2 most valuable.

This is the correct way to evaluate the award. It's for "the player most valuable to his team". Of course the best player in the league is most valuable to his team!

If McD and Drai are the two best players, they should be 1-2 in voting.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014

Draisaitl is a great player but McDavid is clearly the straw the stirs the drink on that team.

I mean just look at the highlights of this recent game above.

All he does is mooch points of McDavid by sitting and waiting for one-timers or doing little drop passes to him and letting McDavid do all the work.

Great Player but definitely not the 2nd best player in the world like Oilers fans would tell you and definitely not deserving of Hart consideration.

do you even watch them play or just watch highlights?

By your own logic Matthews is just a glorified triggerman to Marners hardwork

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010

All he does is mooch points of McDavid by sitting and waiting for one-timers or doing little drop passes to him and letting McDavid do all the work.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

It's frankly a miracle that his most productive quarter this season by a huge margain was Q1 when he was centering Yamamoto and Kahun

Also was a total fluke last year when he was centering RNH and Yamamoto and they went on an absolute tear. McDavid was carrying him from the bench

Reactions: KlefDown

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
do you even watch them play or just watch highlights?

By your own logic Matthews is just a glorified triggerman to Marners hardwork
Care to show some recent examples?

Also Matthews has been more productive than Marner this year so I think you may have your logic backwards.

and yeah I did watch the game. McDavid was flying all over the ice while Draisaitl was just kind of floating around waiting for McDavid to get him the puck.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
yeah let me pull up all the highlights where Matthews scores off Marner primary assists lmao

if you don't think Drai is a top 2 player that's fine (I think he's top 4), but if you think there are 5-6 players currently better than him then you crazy

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
McD wasnt a finalist last year because he got hurt and while he was hurt Drai carried the team. They both would have been finalists last year and they both will be this year. McD easy clap though

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017

Also Matthews has been more productive than Marner this year so I think you may have your logic backwards.

and yeah I did watch the game. McDavid was flying all over the ice while Draisaitl was just kind of floating around waiting for McDavid to get him the puck.

Imagine putting up 276 points in 194 games (115 goals) and still trying to discredit the guy lmao. Matthews has 333 CAREER points and Drai has done that in 2.5 seasons. AM is a great player, elite shooter for sure. But eventually production outweighs Toronto fanboyism. If it wasn't for the shortened year the dude would have 3 straight 100 point seasons averaging ~45 goals.

Reactions: McOilers97

Steven Toast

Apr 3, 2019
Sol System
Imagine putting up 276 points in 194 games (115 goals) and still trying to discredit the guy lmao. Matthews has 333 CAREER points and Drai has done that in 2.5 seasons. AM is a great player, elite shooter for sure. But eventually production outweighs Toronto fanboyism. If it wasn't for the shortened year the dude would have 3 straight 100 point seasons averaging ~45 goals.
No but you see, a selective eye test tells me he "floats around" (even though hes actually a fast NHL skater).

The disrespect he continues to get is quite baffling.

Reactions: McOilers97

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
The Hart is very much a most points/narrative award.

Drai just won it last season and some of the narrative there that helped his case was the 7 games McDavid missed, how he kept the Oilers afloat, and of course had 13 more points in those 7 overall games.

This season is different.

McDavid hasn’t won it for a few seasons despite being the best player in the league since he won his first (missing the playoffs and missing games last year are huge reasons why he is Hart-less since 2017-2018).

That helps going into the season. Add to the fact that he’s led the scoring race for most of the season and he’s of course ahead of Drai, there will be little support for Drai as a finalist. Perhaps enough votes for top 5, but I just don’t see enough to be a finalist, particularly if Crosby plays as well as he has been for the remainder of the season.

McDavid will be the deserving winner. Drai’s level of play over the last 2.5 seasons would see him win it outright every year and at least be a finalist otherwise, but narrative wise will see Kane, Crosby, and possibly Barkov finish with more votes. And of course there will be votes cast for MacKinnon which could bump Drai out of the top 5.

Drai has an uphill battle from here on out where he can continue to be the second best player in the league, but see lesser players win the awards because only McDavid being out will let people give him credit.

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
yeah let me pull up all the highlights where Matthews scores off Marner primary assists lmao

if you don't think Drai is a top 2 player that's fine (I think he's top 4), but if you think there are 5-6 players currently better than him then you crazy
in all honesty, I'm just busting balls.
Got sick and stuck in my house super bored until I get test results back and getting a rise out of Oilers fans keeps me entertained.

In all seriousness Draisaitl along with Matthews, MacKinnon, Hedman, Barkov, Panarin and Kucherov all have strong arguments for being the 2nd best player in the league with guys like Crosby, P. Kane, Marner, Marchand, Vasilevskiy ect ect rounding out the next group IMO.

keglu

Jul 11, 2014
McDavid and Drai aren't torching the league. They are torching the other 6 teams in Canada, and heavily padding their stats against Ottawa (each with 21 points in 9 games). Are we supposed to believe they'd be replicating these numbers in any of the other divisions?

Draisaitl had better per game production last season so....

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
The answer is probably number 2.

I expect something like this. Lemieux wins, Jagr fourth. 50/149 of Jagr's points recorded with Lemieux.
1995-96 NHL Awards Voting | Hockey-Reference.com

I think the point shares are a little higher right now for McDavid and Draisaitl.

Presently:
McDavid
Mackinnon
Matthews
Draisaitl
Barkov

HM: Kane/Hedmon/Stone. Chicago currently out of a playoff spot which will determine where Kane finishes. Think 2-5 can go in any order.

Last edited:

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
The answer is probably number 2.

I expect something like this. Lemieux wins, Jagr fourth. 50/149 of Jagr's points recorded with Lemieux.
1995-96 NHL Awards Voting | Hockey-Reference.com

I think the point shares are a little higher right now for McDavid and Draisaitl.

Presently:
McDavid
Mackinnon
Matthews
Draisaitl
Barkov

HM: Kane/Hedmon/Stone. Chicago currently out of a playoff spot which will determine where Kane finishes. Think 2-5 can go in any order.
honestly with the way Marchand has played this year, it would be tough leave him out of the top 5!
Involved in 44% of his teams offense plus he has 13 more points than his next closest teammate.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

Yeah that's why Marner has the same amount of points, "way more productive".

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
honestly with the way Marchand has played this year, it would be tough leave him out of the top 5!
Involved in 44% of his teams offense plus he has 13 more points than his next closest teammate.

I know, I should have him as an HM. I just think if you include Barkov you've gotta include Mack. Cant leave off Matthews given his goal scoring, points, and the Leafs fighting for a president trophy. Cant drop Draisaitl since he's running away from Kane. Making a top 5 is so hard....

Trying to reward some of the team success of Florida, Avs, and Leafs with my votes. I dont want to just pick guys that's are squeaking into the playoffs though Kane moves up if the central changes.

dalewood12

Oct 9, 2017
1. McDavid
2. Kane
3. Draisaitl
___

4. Barkov
5. Matthews
6. Hedman
7. Crosby
8. MacKinnon
9. Fleury
10. Marchand

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
The Hart isn't a scoring prize. I don't really understand what makes one teams scoring leader more important to his team than another. I'd like to see it going back to people who make broader contributions.

I guess it used to be an award for guys who drag their teams into the playoffs on their own which certainly this duo does but it wasnt much of an accomplishment this year and obviously they are helping each other. How can I be most valuable to my team in the league and maybe I'm not even be the most valuable on my team, a bit silly.

Not a trophy I care about and one of them will win it.
I agree with you. People have such different interpretations of value though.

Zamknij kurwa ryj

Feb 22, 2021

Draisaitl is a great player but McDavid is clearly the straw the stirs the drink on that team.

I mean just look at the highlights of this recent game above.

Great Player but definitely not the 2nd best player in the world like Oilers fans would tell you and definitely not deserving of Hart consideration.

This actually sounds like Matthews. And is a good indication why he isn't able to put up the same point totals, have the same impact or drive his line like Draisaitl is capable of doing. Hence why one player has a claim for being the 2nd best player in the World and the other is nowhere near that conversation.

You clearly have never watched Draisaitl play because what you described couldn't be further from the truth when it comes to this player or his playmaking abilities.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
They should both be finalist imo, Draisaitl is having an excellent year, both sides of the puck. He’s 2nd in points and 3rd in goals, and when he is at center, he has a lot less talent to work with than Mackinnon, Matthews, Scheifele etc

He’d be 3rd in my book (after Kane) but I could also see an argument for Vasy or Hedman being finalist. But I don’t think there is another forward rn you can say is definitely having a better season than Draisaitl other than McDavid and Kane. If Mackinnon didn’t miss some games it’d be a lot easier to put him in that conversation

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad