What's Your Most Controversial Hockey Opinion?

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
Trapezoid should be reversed, (can play it where you can’t now and can’t play it where u can now, other than to cover it say). I believe it would make the dump and chase game much more effective and exciting, and would help out offense.

Reactions: TJImbro

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
Tanking actually works if you do it correctly (you obviously also need some luck in the lottery and with nailing your picks) and is probably the best way to build a winning team...

There's nothing controversial about this comment. Everybody knows it works. The controversy comes from the ethics behind tanking.

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
Mine's that i dont value Ovechkin overall as a good hockey player. Good shooter yea he has had and will get crazy amount of goals because theyr team's stragedy is to get him goals, but really outside of shooting nothing special. My opinion is that if Ovechkin would be replaced by some other player Capitals wouldnt be effectively negatively at all lets say atm player like Tomas Tatar or somethink like that Capitals would be about same level team. Tatar ofc wouldnt get as much goals they would play differently, but removing Ovy wouldnt negatively affect Capitals at all they would just play different style.
Bwahahah! I needed a good laugh!

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
I'll comment on this one because I've been passionate about eliminating all video reviews in all sports for a long time.

-Well, #1, I've been against it in all sports for years, so it's not some recent bad call.

-It's not an issue of "slowing the game down". I don't care if you speed up the reviews so they take 10-15 seconds. I watch sports for the excitement. The excitement comes from a goal, or a long diving catch (in football). If there is a close play in those situations, I know that we won't get an "official" ruling for 10-15 seconds or up to 3 minutes.

The fact that I have to wait for a coach to look down at the floor and make a decision on challenging, a ref to point to center ice, or watch a team scramble up quickly to the to get the next play off (in football) before I know if the exciting play will actually count, all takes away from my enjoyment of the game. I want to celebrate the big play as it happens. I can't do that right now

I think reviews destroy the integrity of sport.
It is a human performance including the evaluation of it.

I'd rather see better training an instruction for officials.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Removing the two line pass damaged the game. It took away areas of contention, reduced board play, limited defensemen being able to stand up at their blueline and dramatically increased the weak stick fouls.

The worst failing was that by removing those areas of physical contention, it took a whole subset of players who relied on physicality and grit to persevere and deemphasized their value. Those players had that "heart and soul" tag more often than not, and the game has lost a lot of those admirable attributes and replaced them with video game hockey.

Not bad take.
I love the speed, but hate the non physicality at times of today's game.

kmart

Jan 23, 2008
i hate every jersey that is not standard home/away... because when you watch a highlight or just a review a few years ago, it makes it harder to recognize the teams playing.

Crabapple

Jun 17, 2010
Edmonton
I'll stay topical, the Babcock/Marner list story is not that big of a deal, and coaches will continue to do shitty things like that to try and manipulate their players.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
That none of this matters. We are spending enormous amounts of time (and some money) watching and discussing essentially the same things over and over again. That we have no control over. We hate guys that have a different colored shirt than “our guys” and hate other teams based on location (yea I know there are plenty of different reasons why someone chooses to like a team but that’s the main one). Yet, when the guy we hate is on our team, we love him. But at the end of the day, I find enough enjoyment in this sport that I let those thoughts go. This and boxing are the only sports I like. I never watch other sports.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
The regular Season is more meaningful and interesting than the playoffs. In my opinion the best Team is the one WHO eins the regular season. Luck is simply to big a factor in Hockey. Playoff beards are extremely Bad for the Promotion and Public recognition of Hockey.

As a Capitals fan I approve this post. :thumbu:

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Oh, and I also don’t think there’s anything wrong with being an equal fan of more than one team. I’m not this way, but I really don’t care.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
Goalies should wear 80's size equipment
If they go back to wood sticks then sure. I'm very curious to see how styles would change if they went back to an older style. The technology today should be able to make sure the equipment is safe as well.

pucksakes666

Mar 8, 2018
If they go back to wood sticks then sure. I'm very curious to see how styles would change if they went back to an older style. The technology today should be able to make sure the equipment is safe as well.
Goalies would be coming out the top of the circles again they would have to play more athletic.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
Trapezoid should be reversed, (can play it where you can’t now and can’t play it where u can now, other than to cover it say). I believe it would make the dump and chase game much more effective and exciting, and would help out offense.

The trapezoid functions 100% as intended.

That's a good thing.

Mantis

I am a doctah
Mar 7, 2011
Crimetown, Saskatchewan
Unless it is already a 5 on 3 if you break your stick just go to the bench and get a new one instead of skating around your own end being useless. It only takes a few seconds and your team should be able to adapt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad