What's wrong with this picture?

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Only 8 games in, you can find quite a number of anomalies around the league to the same effect. Tye McGinn has as many goals than the Sedin twins combined, and he plays for the team that is tied as the worst offensive team in the league.

Richardson was a good hockey player, I would have tried to keep him over Fraser, but that's just how things go, there was no room on the team, and I am glad he is having success. He was likely gone no matter what, he wanted to play and Sutter wasn't going to allow that.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I always liked Richardson, I thought he provided energy and speed every time he got a chance to play. I think he would be an improvement over every guy currently on our bottom six with the exception of Lewis, but like Telos said, Sutter was never going to give him that chance.

Jason Lewis

Oct 4, 2011
Tomas Hertl and Alex Steen also lead the league in goals. Let's take everything with a grain of salt right now shall we?

jml87

Jun 27, 2011
This is why goals are not the end all be all. Are Carcillo and King better cause they have a goal and Kopi and Richards don't? Sometimes the puck just refuses to go in for you, but that doesn't stop you from contributing. Richards has had a number of key assists to guys who have to just tap it in.

Winger23

May 3, 2007
This is why goals are not the end all be all. Are Carcillo and King better cause they have a goal and Kopi and Richards don't? Sometimes the puck just refuses to go in for you, but that doesn't stop you from contributing. Richards has had a number of key assists to guys who have to just tap it in.

While true, I do wish some of our guys would start to score. Hopefully kopi is out of his funk as he looked good last game and actually took a few good shots.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Tomas Hertl and Alex Steen also lead the league in goals. Let's take everything with a grain of salt right now shall we?

Actually, after watching Steen play against the Kings in the playoffs I was expecting big things from him this season. Not that he will lead the league in any offensive category, but a big year nonetheless.

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
Good for him, I don't think we had enough roster space anyways. But its nice to see former players succeed because that says something about the systems we have in place here. Clifford-Richardson-Simmonds was a great playoff line a few years back.

Peter James Bond

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Every player that has ever left the Kings (at least in the last decade)
has ALWAYS put up better numbers, or way exceeded them. Name 1 that hasn't.

Robert Lang couldn't do anything here, given countless chances and then blossomed when he left. Going from not being able to break 10 goals and 25 pts, to scoring 20+ goals for 7 seasons and getting a 5 mil contract, or whatever it was. Purcell outscored most Kings the last few years, Moulson topped 30 goals 3 years in a row. Simmonds went from 14 goals to 28..even Loktionov scored 8 goals in 28 games for NJ last year, while he couldn't score a goal to save his life here. I am sure I am leaving another 10 out, but I am in all day biz meetings and on the road.

EVERY GM should target King players, because they will take an 8 goal scorer and instantly having a 20+ goal scorer on their team.
Even Stoll could go somewhere and probably score 10 friggin goals!
lol. He may get 2 or 3 this year on the Kings.

These are facts. Why is this? Please don't say it's 'the system' the
Kings play. It is more than that.

Winger23

May 3, 2007
Every player that has ever left the Kings (at least in the last decade)
has ALWAYS put up better numbers, or way exceeded them. Name 1 that hasn't.

Robert Lang couldn't do anything here, given countless chances and then blossomed when he left. Going from not being able to break 10 goals and 25 pts, to scoring 20+ goals for 7 seasons and getting a 5 mil contract, or whatever it was. Purcell outscored most Kings the last few years, Moulson topped 30 goals 3 years in a row. Simmonds went from 14 goals to 28..even Loktionov scored 8 goals in 28 games for NJ last year, while he couldn't score a goal to save his life here. I am sure I am leaving another 10 out, but I am in all day biz meetings and on the road.

EVERY GM should target King players, because they will take an 8 goal scorer and instantly having a 20+ goal scorer on their team.
Even Stoll could go somewhere and probably score 10 friggin goals!
lol. He may get 2 or 3 this year on the Kings.

These are facts. Why is this? Please don't say it's 'the system' the
Kings play. It is more than that.

It's the system. Seriously. All 5 players on the ice think defence first. I'd wager the kings have the least amount of 2 on 1s for and against. Add in the fact the kings are a dump and chase team, its not designed to score tons of goals.

If you think its more than just the system what is it?

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
Is Doughty typically a slow starter? Got a potential trade in a fantasy league for him but I want more info :P Are the chances there for points but just not happening yet? Or has something looked off this season? Unfortunately with him out west I don't get to see him play as much I want to :(

Scottkmlps

Aug 25, 2003
Ladysmith, BC
Visit site
It's the system. Seriously. All 5 players on the ice think defence first. I'd wager the kings have the least amount of 2 on 1s for and against. Add in the fact the kings are a dump and chase team, its not designed to score tons of goals.

If you think its more than just the system what is it?

So the Kings have had a defence first system for the last 15+ years?

Winger23

May 3, 2007
So the Kings have had a defence first system for the last 15+ years?

So what is it then? Of the players he listed:

Lang - Went to Pitt, offensive minded team. Was also on the PP with Pitt, not with LA.
Purcell -Went to TB. Again gets time on the PP and top line.
Lotki - To small. Sure he scored with NJ, Wasn't enough room for him here.
Simmonds - Philly...LOL @ them and defense. Also got way more PP time there.
Moulson - Only played 29 games. Given up on too early imo but who knew.

Yes you can make the case for other players I'm sure. If it's not the system what is it? Coaching? The players? I mean, what else is there?

And you asked if the Kings have had a defensive system for the last 15 years? of course f'ing not. but they have had some pretty crappy players for top line players as well. The Deadmarsh/Allison/ziggy era was the last time the kings had a decent offensive team.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Mike Smith now has more goals than Mike Richards, Anze Kopitar, Matt Frattin, Jarret Stoll, and Trevor Lewis combined now! :sarcasm:

Last edited:

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
i think any kings player leaving the kings for another team will produce more points than when they were with the team... it's the system

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad