Nashville Predators talk - The offseason.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
Preds are currently small and somewhat fast, except for a few, but not very good on the puck. Need better puck handlers/controllers and a true 1C. Adding some secondary scoring would go a long way as I am not sure the top line will career years again. Could happen but history is against them.

I can let go of Beauvillier as he did nothing except for 1 goal. Sure he was fast but so was Sherwood and a couple others. And at over $4M per he is overpriced! Trade Carrier for what you can get. He gets hurt too much and not a needle mover. I prefer Fabbro anyways (against most everyone else on this board). Then you have Big Sexy, Zuck, Glass, Jank, and Keef to fight for jobs with the AHL guys. I would try and Keep Zuck if he wants to stay for a decent price. I liked his style.

You could try and package a few players w PT to see if a scoring winger is available. But a 1C is a must have to move the needle and get into that SC discussion.
Yeah but Sherwood was also combined speed with really bad decision making and puck handling. I really like him less the more I saw of him in the playoffs

Reactions: Flgatorguy87

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Preds are currently small and somewhat fast, except for a few, but not very good on the puck. Need better puck handlers/controllers and a true 1C. Adding some secondary scoring would go a long way as I am not sure the top line will career years again. Could happen but history is against them.
I'm not sure about the "somewhat fast" either.... decidedly slower than most teams in the NHL I'd say. I think the odds are definitely stacked against getting those kinds of years out of O'Reilly and Nyquist again. Fair enough... Nyquist is turning 35 and we only have him signed for next season anyway, so he could become a great TDL asset. O'Reilly may have a little more tread left at 33, but his role probably ideally diminishes over the remainder of his career too.

I think we have 1 really bona fide 1st line player in Forsberg. A few bona fide 2nd liners in O'Reilly, Nyquist, and Evangelista. One solid bottom-6 guy in Sissons. And then a whole lot of question marks and spots to fill. If we assume Nyquist moves on at the TDL next season, then there's a whole lot of slots to fill in order to reach a really solid contending lineup up front in the next few years IMO. We have gap-fill players in those ??? slots for now. But lots of room for others to step up or for Trotz to go out and find us some actual solutions up front.

Forsberg - ??? - ???
??? - O'Reilly - Evangelista
??? - ??? - ???
??? - Sissons - ???

I find it a little disappointing to have that many question marks, relative to the hopefulness we maybe had at the end of the previous season's run when Glass, Novak, Tomasino, and Parssinen had all shown a lot more than they did this season. :(

I can let go of Beauvillier as he did nothing except for 1 goal. Sure he was fast but so was Sherwood and a couple others. And at over $4M per he is overpriced! Trade Carrier for what you can get. He gets hurt too much and not a needle mover. I prefer Fabbro anyways (against most everyone else on this board). Then you have Big Sexy, Zuck, Glass, Jank, and Keef to fight for jobs with the AHL guys. I would try and Keep Zuck if he wants to stay for a decent price. I liked his style.

You could try and package a few players w PT to see if a scoring winger is available. But a 1C is a must have to move the needle and get into that SC discussion.
Carrier is an impending UFA, we could let him walk, but likely can't trade him for anything. I think most of us do prefer Fabbro. But that's not exactly a high bar. :dunno:

Reactions: predhead1

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I agree but they can't replace everyone...or can they?
Well, they can't/won't replace Josi, McDonagh, Schenn, or Lauzon I'm sure. They probably won't replace Carrier or let him walk either, unfortunately... as much as I wish they would, the organization has thus far shown every confidence that he can be a permanent fixture on this D. I think that's a mistake and will represent an opportunity to upgrade missed. But I guess we'll see.

Hopefully Carrier just asks for so much money that he writes his own ticket out of town! :)

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Well, they can't/won't replace Josi, McDonagh, Schenn, or Lauzon I'm sure. They probably won't replace Carrier or let him walk either, unfortunately... as much as I wish they would, the organization has thus far shown every confidence that he can be a permanent fixture on this D. I think that's a mistake and will represent an opportunity to upgrade missed. But I guess we'll see.

Hopefully Carrier just asks for so much money that he writes his own ticket out of town! :)
Totally agree. I think they play him and Lauzon way above their talent level.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
Fabbro has had that Jon Blum career arc. Wowed and then really has been kicked to the curb since then. I can't figure him out. He has good games and then he has really bad games leading to several weeks of benching.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia

Bringing back Carrier just cements Fabbro being Traded in my books. He's probably gone anyways but with Brunette's preferences for McD/Josi and Lauzon/Carrier it doesnt leave anywhere for Fabbro as long as he keeps schenn in the lineup which Brunette has tended to do.

Honestly, i hope we can find an upgrade somewhere and break away from McD/Josi. McD is nearing retirement and we dont need to be leaning on that pairing and id like to get lauzon down to the third pairing where he belongs.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Fabbro has had that Jon Blum career arc. Wowed and then really has been kicked to the curb since then. I can't figure him out. He has good games and then he has really bad games leading to several weeks of benching.
When he's been brought back from his stints as hot dog tester, he has looked pretty rusty to me. And they put him out there with Josi to keep the degree of difficulty maxed up. So he's quickly caught in a pairings blender as the game proceeds.

Probably best for everyone if they trade him for a bag of wingnuts and superglue.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Since Phil has come up on the trade board and has been called out by Bruno...

It's just weird to me. I really, truly understand there is more to playing than putting up points, and there are productive NHL players that are probably detrimental to their teams because they don't play a "complete" game (e.g. Fiala).

That all said, we were largely let down by a lack of secondary scoring this season. Tomasino paces for ~41 pts if he played the full season, and this is putting in at least a handful of games with Big Sexy and Smith. All the other Preds forwards that surpassed this rate of production:
FF9
ROR
Gus
Novak

:huh:

And it's not like sending him and Parsnip down and icing all the vets and grinders eliminated the consistent team defensive gaffes, fixed special teams, or improved the consistency of secondary scoring.

predhead1

Aug 7, 2003

It's just weird to me. I really, truly understand there is more to playing than putting up points, and there are productive NHL players that are probably detrimental to their teams because they don't play a "complete" game (e.g. Fiala).

That all said, we were largely let down by a lack of secondary scoring this season. Tomasino paces for ~41 pts if he played the full season, and this is putting in at least a handful of games with Big Sexy and Smith. All the other Preds forwards that surpassed this rate of production:
FF9
ROR
Gus
Novak

And it's not like sending him and Parsnip down and icing all the vets and grinders eliminated the consistent team defensive gaffes, fixed special teams, or improved the consistency of secondary scoring.
I think that the coaches and front office can see PT's talent, so I hope this is just a case of making sure he gets the message loud and clear about the effort required to be an everyday player in an NHL lineup. He's far from the most talented player we had that became a casualty in the cultural revolution - I just hope his is only a temporary casualty and not a fatality given that he's still relatively young and has tons of room to improve.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN

FF9
ROR
Gus
Novak

Just Pred things.

Hopefully he's not cast off, I like him and see the talent he has.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019

FF9
ROR
Gus
Novak

Parssinen was just an odd situation to me too. He’d obvious lost his game from all of the lineup shuffling but then he never gets a chance again for the rest of the season until an elimination game in the playoffs?

Loyal Legion

Nov 24, 2019
The way I saw Zadorov play against us, I’d love him here. Looked much faster than his 6’6 245 LB frame and played with an edge. I know he’s left handed and won’t be known for his offense, but he would bring size and a mean streak that our current defense lacks.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Am I wrong or does Josi seem to do better when paired with Fabbro? If so that's what I'd so puzzling about him being benched

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Am I wrong or does Josi seem to do better when paired with Fabbro? If so that's what I'd so puzzling about him being benched
Statswise McDonagh was Josi’s best partner but Fabbro is a close second and then that also lets us move McDonagh elsewhere in the lineup. Much like Tomasino his benching spans both Hynes and Brunette so there is clearly something both of those guys didn’t like about his game though. Which neither of those guys are perfect players but to me they do enough that they should stay in the lineup over some guys we have decided to play.

Reactions: hockey diva

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Brought this up in the Tomasino trade thread, but where do you go with Tomasino. If they still haven't figured out if he's a full timer at this point, aren't we out of time in a way? If he comes to camp and they aren't willing to commit to him, where do they go? He can't be waived, and any trade at that point is clearly a numbers game that GMs will know is just a roster decision so he's not lost for nothing on waivers. It's shaping up to be the same path as Tolvanen.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Brought this up in the Tomasino trade thread, but where do you go with Tomasino. If they still haven't figured out if he's a full timer at this point, aren't we out of time in a way? If he comes to camp and they aren't willing to commit to him, where do they go? He can't be waived, and any trade at that point is clearly a numbers game that GMs will know is just a roster decision so he's not lost for nothing on waivers. It's shaping up to be the same path as Tolvanen.
He’s either a sweetener in a trade package or flip him for another change of scenery type prospect. I think for his and the teams sake they just need to move on. It gives another young guy that fits what Bruno wants more opportunity in camp for us and gives him a chance somewhere new. Otherwise, I think he’s basically a repeat of what we saw with Glass this year with higher production rates.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Possible UFA targets:
Forwards
Guentzel
Reinhart
Chandler Stephenson/adam Henrique

Defense
Montour
Zadorov
Roy

Probably missing a couple but that is who sticks out to me.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
He’s either a sweetener in a trade package or flip him for another change of scenery type prospect. I think for his and the teams sake they just need to move on. It gives another young guy that fits what Bruno wants more opportunity in camp for us and gives him a chance somewhere new. Otherwise, I think he’s basically a repeat of what we saw with Glass this year with higher production rates.
I agree. It needs to happen before camp in my mind, or we are out of time with a high likelihood he's gone for nothing on waivers or mostly nothing in a pressure trade.

I'd be fine with using him during the draft to move up or around for positioning. Not ideal as we have plenty of prospects, but your point of creating space is valid, so resetting him as an asset to a draft pick is a good way to do that.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Wonder how many spots we could move up in the 1st using Tomasino. He genuinely has offensive talent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad