What's Up With Dylan Larkin?

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Percieved in the locker room? Are you in the locker room? Or are we just going to go by hearsay and subjective opinions to support your "facts"? (Rhetorical we know your answer bud):help:

I literally said “you could make an argument of not knowing how he is received in the locker room.” You aren’t making a new argument like you think you are.

AA was a fourth round pick too wasn't being called a future NHL captain on DRAFT DAY!! Don't forget that. And don't pretend like they had/have the same expectations in the NHL.... AA EXCEEDED expectations for where he was drafted!

Nobody mentioned draft expectations until you brought it up. AA has exceeded the expectations of his draft position. Draft position means nothing when it comes to captaincy. I’m going to drop this one here because I don’t want to listen to you bring more unrelated topics up.

Reactions: Mlotek

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
It's not an obvious choice to make him captain. If his downturn in play is because he has an injury, that's one thing. If it's because he's unmotivated or feeling sorry for himself or because he doesn't like the coaching staff, that's another thing.

And going down like he's been shot every time he gets touched.

I dunno... What sort of leader do we want?

Reactions: nhlisawesome

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
It's not an obvious choice to make him captain. If his downturn in play is because he has an injury, that's one thing. If it's because he's unmotivated or feeling sorry for himself or because he doesn't like the coaching staff, that's another thing.

Larkin's post-whistle whining and diving has been curbed.

Generally, his hustle and work ethic are the stuff you want in a leader.

I wouldn't blame him if he feels a bit put off by the captaincy stuff.
For two years, everyone said he was the next captain. The media. Even team officials.
Zetterberg retired and they didn't give him the captaincy the first year. Fine. Kronwall was still there. Maybe out of deference to Kronwall's leadership, you hold off for a year.
But in year two? After Kronwall retires?
Unless there are off-ice, dressing-room issues we don't know about, I don't see much reason to hold off.

I get it. Nobody should EXPECT the captaincy.
At the same time, Larkin's work, improvement and production showed he DESERVED it.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004

Yeah that's been driving me crazy. He's been legitimately taking high sticks to the face but as far as I know there isn't a nerve that runs from your chin to your feet, causing your legs to tuck up if you get hit in the face. I think his antics are keeping him from getting legit calls because refs can't tell how bad he got clipped when he always reacts like that.

And more on the captaincy stuff, I really think not naming one right now is an act of mercy by the franchise. No one wants to have their leadership attached to what could be a historically bad season.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
It’s better to not name a captain than to have to remove the captaincy years down the road.

Larkin is great, but if this team gets out of the basement it’ll be because we drafted and acquired a handful of players better than Dylan Larkin and probably players better fit to lead the team for the long term future.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Larkin has earned it.
Improved point totals two straight seasons while learning center and improving his faceoffs
Until this regular season, he's done just about anything you could have expected him to do.
K

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
People are way over-thinking the captaincy thing. There is nothing wrong with having a good depth player that is also a captain. Many teams, Original 6 or not have done it, and it makes no sense to not have one. Zetterberg is not the Captain anymore, he is LTIR, and not in the lockerroom anymore, and I legit doubt he would have issue with an active roster member becoming captain, as he isn't coming back. To me the only issue Larkin has, as far as captain goes is his going down way too easy at times trying to draw calls, something he has done every year, but is doing more than the past couple of seasons. I think he is simply exhausted trying to keep this team going in both ends, as he is the only one doing both. Fabbri has been good offensively, but he isn't great in how own end, and Bertuzzi is kind of sporadic in his defensive effort at times.

Also Yzerland bringing up -15 for Larkin is a so Yzerland nonsense thing to bring up. Larkin plays more minutes by a lot, and plays against the top players on opposing teams, while AA plays against much worse opposition in comparison. Larkin is 20 +/- better with 6 more games of ice time than AA, which is mind boggling.

Reactions: The Red Line

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
Larkin's post-whistle whining and diving has been curbed.

Generally, his hustle and work ethic are the stuff you want in a leader.

I wouldn't blame him if he feels a bit put off by the captaincy stuff.
For two years, everyone said he was the next captain. The media. Even team officials.
Zetterberg retired and they didn't give him the captaincy the first year. Fine. Kronwall was still there. Maybe out of deference to Kronwall's leadership, you hold off for a year.
But in year two? After Kronwall retires?
Unless there are off-ice, dressing-room issues we don't know about, I don't see much reason to hold off.

I get it. Nobody should EXPECT the captaincy.
At the same time, Larkin's work, improvement and production showed he DESERVED it.
Bu Zetterberg didn't retire, technically, he is still the captain.

Had he retired Wings would be stuck with cap recapture penalty, and Zetterberg don't get paid for final years of his deal. I know technicality, but still stands. Win-Win for both parties.

Unless I have missed it (generally fall asleep during games these past few weeks), Larkin hasn't been smashing his sticks or throwing his helmet on the bench like he was constantly last year. Those acts of childish frustrations were the reason why I didn't think Larkin was ready coming into this season.

Being best player on year team is one thing. There is difference between being the best player and being a leader. Something the NHL has clearly blurred. If you are a leader you don't need a letter to prove it.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Montreal had Bob Gainey as a captain.
I wouldn't give it to Glendening either, personally. But there's precedence for this kind of move.
Glendening is no where near a player as Gainey? What?? Gainey is in the HALL OF FAME! And a 5x cup winner. What is going on here these days?!
A selke winner, conn Smyth winner. 4 all star games and you are comparing that to Glendening?!

nhlisawesome

Oct 26, 2019
Hate to say it but Dylan Larkin is a 2nd line center at best on a good NHL team. He ain't much of a leader either, hasn't won or proven anything yet.

nhlisawesome

Oct 26, 2019
He's also pretty damn good at falling down and then immediately staring daggers at the refs while shrugging his hands like 'huh? why no penalty'

Not been impressed whatsoever with Larkin at any one point this season. His hustle has all but disappeared and the Wings subreddit thinks that he's some sort of Patrice Bergeron esque defensive stud and 2 way guy. Not the case at all lmao Bergeron in his mid 30's can skate circles around Larkin.

I'm blunt but someone needs to be honest about the current state of this team. Ridiculous

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
He's also pretty damn good at falling down and then immediately staring daggers at the refs while shrugging his hands like 'huh? why no penalty'

Not been impressed whatsoever with Larkin at any one point this season. His hustle has all but disappeared and the Wings subreddit thinks that he's some sort of Patrice Bergeron esque defensive stud and 2 way guy. Not the case at all lmao Bergeron in his mid 30's can skate circles around Larkin.

I'm blunt but someone needs to be honest about the current state of this team. Ridiculous

How is trashing your least favorite players and staff members considered honest?

Reactions: KJoe88

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
The narrative is he getting the torch passed and will be an all-time great for Detroit since we drafted him! When he was walking up to the podium TSN was saying " He will be a captain in the NHL" so excuse me from comparing him to "Gare, Larson, Thompson, McCourt, Hextall, Maloney, Polonich, Grant, Harper, Young, Lewis etc"

Maybe that's your narrative, not mine. This isnt about passing a torch or asking who the next Wings great is, we're simply discussing who is going to be the leader of this team moving forward. IMO, its Larkin, and I'm not going to dismiss that because he isnt Z, Yzerman, or Lidstrom.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
People are way over-thinking the captaincy thing. There is nothing wrong with having a good depth player that is also a captain. Many teams, Original 6 or not have done it, and it makes no sense to not have one. Zetterberg is not the Captain anymore, he is LTIR, and not in the lockerroom anymore, and I legit doubt he would have issue with an active roster member becoming captain, as he isn't coming back. To me the only issue Larkin has, as far as captain goes is his going down way too easy at times trying to draw calls, something he has done every year, but is doing more than the past couple of seasons. I think he is simply exhausted trying to keep this team going in both ends, as he is the only one doing both. Fabbri has been good offensively, but he isn't great in how own end, and Bertuzzi is kind of sporadic in his defensive effort at times.

Also Yzerland bringing up -15 for Larkin is a so Yzerland nonsense thing to bring up. Larkin plays more minutes by a lot, and plays against the top players on opposing teams, while AA plays against much worse opposition in comparison. Larkin is 20 +/- better with 6 more games of ice time than AA, which is mind boggling.

Personally I agree with this part, but in the sports world people can get weird when it comes to these kinds of things. "Respect" is huge in locker rooms, and I could easily see a player like Larkin not wanting to "disrespect" Z. Again, I'm not saying that it even would be disrespectful, I'm talking about the perceptions of the athletes themselves.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Larkin had a good season on a bad team, last year. That bad team was much better than our current team... Teams adjusted to Larkins game, realizing he was one of the 2 or 3 only legitimate weapons they have. No supporting cast, no other threats down the middle really.. Not hard to lock down and shut a guy down when he has no support. Larkin will be fine, he could still have lingering injury issues but this team is flat out is bad. We have a few guys with potential to be here as part of the solution but the complete inability to defend and transition makes any offensive player have a difficult time. Can't always make a play when you defend 3/4ths of the game and your outlet passes are banked off the glass.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Glendening is no where near a player as Gainey? What?? Gainey is in the HALL OF FAME! And a 5x cup winner. What is going on here these days?!
A selke winner, conn Smyth winner. 4 all star games and you are comparing that to Glendening?!
Thanks for saying it, what a laughably ridiculous hot take. And it was 4 straight Selkes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad