What's Up With Dylan Larkin?

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
In the moment, I said what I said, but I really do regret that. I didn't mean to disrespect your post. I feel that I disrespected you and any player who's ever been voted into the event, like 3-time all-star Jimmy Howard, whom I'm sure you have a big issue with me disrespecting like that. My main goal as a poster on this board is to represent myself and be a good example for the kids growing up posting here. I felt I wasn't that, so I'm sorry about that.
Do something more productive with your time than this Red Stanley. I can see right through this btw...

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
In the moment, I said what I said, but I really do regret that. I didn't mean to disrespect your post. I feel that I disrespected you and any player who's ever been voted into the event, like 3-time all-star Jimmy Howard, whom I'm sure you have a big issue with me disrespecting like that. My main goal as a poster on this board is to represent myself and be a good example for the kids growing up posting here. I felt I wasn't that, so I'm sorry about that.

everyone has their ups and downs. No one can expect to be perfect all the time. Just do better.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Bruins fan here. I'm doing a defensive highlight compilation for Bergeron from this 2019/20 season so I literally just watched every Bergeron shift from every game this year lol. Anyways, after going through it all I can confidently say that Larkin was the most effective player he faced this season, just in the head-to-head match-up. I don't know what the advanced stats were but by eye test he did an amazing job in the 1st and 3rd meetings in particular.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Bruins fan here. I'm doing a defensive highlight compilation for Bergeron from this 2019/20 season so I literally just watched every Bergeron shift from every game this year lol. Anyways, after going through it all I can confidently say that Larkin was the most effective player he faced this season, just in the head-to-head match-up. I don't know what the advanced stats were but by eye test he did an amazing job in the 1st and 3rd meetings in particular.

Interesting, thanks. Hes always been really good in matchups, it makes me think come playoff time hes going to be a really good piece to have in a series. He had a slow start to the year offensively but from midway through december on he was basically point per game on a bad, injured team.

it would be so sweet to get Byfield or Stutzle and they become a number one offensive center and then Larkin just kills match ups and second lines all the time

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Interesting, thanks. Hes always been really good in matchups, it makes me think come playoff time hes going to be a really good piece to have in a series. He had a slow start to the year offensively but from midway through december on he was basically point per game on a bad, injured team.

it would be so sweet to get Byfield or Stutzle and they become a number one offensive center and then Larkin just kills match ups and second lines all the time

Yeah I think Larks is a good #1 center but if we can make him #2 he can be absolutely elite. He doesn't have quite the elite offensive skills to be a consistently dominate center, but if we can knock him down he will give other teams nightmares. He is very solid defensively and as he learns his overall game even more I think he could potentially get some Selke notice later in his career. I can't wait to see him in the playoffs.

Its funny the Wings obviously lack the overall skill to get into the playoffs right now, but I think they have pieces to be an absolutely nightmare team when the do eventually get in. Guys like Larkin, Hronek, Bert, Mantha, Seider, Smith are all young guys that have that grit that really pays dividends in the playoffs. If they can add a couple elite offensive players to the mix, they could become really dangerous. Also we have to eliminate 90% of our current defense lol. The Bruins are the team I really hold the Wings build towards. Elite two way play, a good amount of grit, more overall team play than just relying on one or two superstars.

Reactions: SirloinUB

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA

If the Bert/Larkin/Mantha line is Detroit's second line in 2-3 years, the forward core will be the least of the team's concerns. If Detroit doesn't get the #1 overall I hope they don't go for a guy they project as a winger, either go for Drysdale or take one of Byfield, Stutzle or Perfetti and go all in on developing them to be the top guy.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012

Yeah he's a really good match-up guy, he could do really well in a role like that. His speed and strength on both sides of the puck is a lot to handle, and he's one of those guys that seems a lot bigger than what his height/weight listing is. There were on average 6-7 unique defensive plays or sequences I could highlight in each game, and a lot of games 10+ but in the November Wings game it was the only game I could highlight just 1, and the last one Bergeron was out of sorts as well in the game the Bruins won and there were only a few plays I could highlight. He got a PPG and SHG in those games but not at the expense of Larkin at all. November Wings game was 100% his least effective game of the season, and I'd say the other one was top 5, and Larkin is the main reason for that.

Reactions: newfy

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
The Steve Yzerman decision that makes makes me the most curious is why he didn't make Larkin the captain. I should also make it clear that I do not doubt that Steve knows, maybe better than anyone on Earth, what makes a good captain, but I am curious because I think highly of Larkin. I'm not aware of Steve giving a reason for it to the public, but did he?

I think my best guess is that maybe Steve wanted to get to know him better before he made such a big decision. Aside from that, I wondered if maybe he's anticipating drafting somebody better soon, somebody who can come right out of the draft and change the whole franchise. Although, Larkin did seem to go through a bit of frustration early in the season, so maybe Steve saw that coming. Does anyone here have any actual knowledge on Steve's reasoning for this?

Last edited:

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
The Steve Yzerman decision that makes makes me the most curious is why he didn't make Larkin the captain. I should also make it clear that I do not doubt that Steve knows, maybe better than anyone on Earth, what makes a good captain, but I am curious because I think highly of Larkin. I'm not aware of Steve giving a reason for it to the public, but did he?

I think my best guess is that maybe Steve wanted to get to know him better before he made such a big decision. Aside from that, I wondered if maybe he's anticipating drafting somebody better soon, somebody who can come right out of the draft and change the whole franchise. Although, Larkin did seem to go through a bit of frustration early in the season, so maybe Steve saw that coming. Does anyone here have any actual knowledge on Steve's reasoning for this?

The team was dogshit last year. All giving him the captaincy on a completely rudderless boat would have done is wrecked his confidence. The greatest leaders on Earth weren't going to do anything to right the Wings 19-20 ship.

There is nothing to read into Yzerman not giving Larkin the captaincy beyond that. When Steve said he wanted to come in and take the year to analyze... he meant it, obviously. So if he came in and Larkin was walking around puffed out chest because he "knew he was the anointed son or something", Yzerman wouldn't want to give it to him. Maybe the team behind closed doors really took a lead from X or from Y.

Nobody will have an honest to goodness source or anything, but I think you're right and explained why. Yzerman doesn't want to give Larkin the captaincy to give him the captaincy. He wants to give it to him so Dylan can be a leader and the team can go there. Or if he's just a really good player but not a leader, they can give it to a guy who leads.

Captain does not have to equal best player.

Reactions: DetroitRed

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
The team was dogshit last year. All giving him the captaincy on a completely rudderless boat would have done is wrecked his confidence. The greatest leaders on Earth weren't going to do anything to right the Wings 19-20 ship.

There is nothing to read into Yzerman not giving Larkin the captaincy beyond that. When Steve said he wanted to come in and take the year to analyze... he meant it, obviously. So if he came in and Larkin was walking around puffed out chest because he "knew he was the anointed son or something", Yzerman wouldn't want to give it to him. Maybe the team behind closed doors really took a lead from X or from Y.

Nobody will have an honest to goodness source or anything, but I think you're right and explained why. Yzerman doesn't want to give Larkin the captaincy to give him the captaincy. He wants to give it to him so Dylan can be a leader and the team can go there. Or if he's just a really good player but not a leader, they can give it to a guy who leads.

Captain does not have to equal best player.
Sounds like we've reached about the same conclusion. Maybe Mickey Redmond had me convinced, saying last season, that Larkin would be the next captain. I've gotta hand it to Steve for doing his own thinking, I guess. But, was there anyone who didn't expect that Larkin would be given then "C" going into the season?

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Sounds like we've reached about the same conclusion. Maybe Mickey Redmond had me convinced, saying last season, that Larkin would be the next captain. I've gotta hand it to Steve for doing his own thinking, I guess. But, was there anyone who didn't expect that Larkin would be given then "C" going into the season?
Hope he is going to be Capitan very next game

Reactions: DetroitRed

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $5,220.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino