Post-Game Talk: What's This? We Beat Dubnyk? He is Human After All? Oilers 2-1 Over The Wild

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Klefbom was the primary culprit on the goal against but otherwise played ok.

Marincin was good but not great. Had a couple beauty defensive moments poking away pucks but still is no where near as good as he was last year or the beginning of this year. Just looks like he has a lost a step.

Edit: One of Schultz's better defensive efforts.

Marincin is improving...its going to take time (at the NHL level) regaining his confidence and playing with the extra weight he gained this season.

Agrred on Klefbom...aside form the goal he had a decent game. Thats quite of an accomplishment considering how badly the Wild outplayed the Oilers over the last 40 minutes.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
Leon was a really good C prospect to get imo, you don't need McEichel gen talents to win cups. Adding another in someone like Hanifin, Marner etc is hardly adding mediocre talent

I'd rather know this team can make a few wins against the West since that has been the biggest hurdle by far for this team.

Ergot

Pinko
Oct 4, 2014
GVA
We beat the hottest team in the league on the road with a lineup that included at least 6 AHLers, missing 3 top 9 forwards. I'll take it.

Yeah, I agree. I was happy for the win, especially considering our lineup.

Just saying that without Scriv putting in a monster performance it would have an been ugly night. Oil had nothing for them in periods 2 and 3.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
Although we were outplayed and out shot I didn't really feel like we were really in danger. If this was Eakins team there would of been ridiculous amounts of scrambling around and nail biting moments but I felt despite being hemmed it they never really had superb chances imo.

Quality scoring chances may disagree but it didn't seem that way to me.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Although we were outplayed and out shot I didn't really feel like we were really in danger. If this was Eakins team there would of been ridiculous amounts of scrambling around and nail biting moments but I felt despite being hemmed it they never really had superb chances imo.

Quality scoring chances may disagree but it didn't seem that way to me.

Scrivens had some very good support tonight. There were some blocks that stopped goals, and they usually made sure he could see the puck. Marincin was generally winning the territory battle in front of the net. There were a lot of extended series of puck control against us that only resulted in one straight shot chance. A few close calls too, but for sure we could have played this one a lot worse.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
Lol our next three games are against Blues, Kings and Blackhawks.

Blues I think would be the ugliest of the 3 (Hitchcock knows how coach against this team, no matter who manages our banch). Blackhawks, we can play them well, Kings are a tight team but we've had close games with them too. Our record against them will probably be 1-1-1

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Blues I think would be the ugliest of the 3 (Hitchcock knows how coach against this team, no matter who manages our banch). Blackhawks, we can play them well, Kings are a tight team but we've had close games with them too. Our record against them will probably be 1-1-1

The Oilers do not match up very well against a team as big, talented and gritty as the Blues. That said there are some things that work in the Oilers favor...they will have 4 days of practice prior to that game. The team will be well rested and very prepared.

Also the Blues will be playing a tough game against the Jets on Thursday and another one against the Canucks on Sunday.

They may well overlook the sad sack Oilers in between. :D

Last edited:

WayneGreatzky

Nov 26, 2014
Edmonton
Don't forget Eberle!!!!

1157.gif

azashi

May 31, 2006
Well, that's two games that this team has won through this tough stretch that it wasn't supposed to.

Of course, won and deserved to win are two different things when applied to analysis of this game. We're also 1 point behind Arizona for 14th in the West, though they have a game in hand.

oilerbear

Jun 2, 2008
My recap

First line was very good tonight, especially in the first but only line with sustained pressure all night.

Klefbom/Marincin the two best blue lines IMO

Scrivens was unreal tonight.

Rough game for Gordon probably worst of the season, Roy's line was garbage without Yakupov... Which I don't mind proves he is the driver on that line. Fraser was horrible as well.

For 45 years Scotty bowman believes in matched forward pairs with a corner retrieval 3rd forward.

You think one person is the driver.

how many of you think Scotty is wrong?

I do not!

Our best forward pairs under Krueger (12-13) and Nelson (14-15)
Hall-RNH 3.08 GF/60 2.46 GA/60 (krueger)
RNH_Eberle 2.84 GF/60 2.48 GA/60 (Krueger)
Hall-Yak 5.58 Gf/60 0.00 GA/60 (krueger)
Lander -Fraser 2.38 GF/60 1.90 GA/60 (Nelson)
Pouliot-Eberle 2.88 GF/60 2.52 GA/60 (Nelson)
Pouliot-Roy 2.14 GF/60 1.07 GA/60 (Nelson)
Pouliot-Purcell 2.49 GF/60 1.22 GA/60 (Nelson)

Possible lines tonight from the best pairs:

Pouliot-RNH-EBerle
OR
Pouliot-Roy-Purcell

Versus

Hall-Roy-Yak
Pouliot-RNH-Eberle
XXX-Lander-Fraser

GRadio

Energy Line
Aug 16, 2014
Edmonton
I wonder if this will make Nelson finally consider keeping pouliot on the top line with hall and Yakupov on roys wings when they get back. Would be nice to have two consistently dangerous lines

WayneGreatzky

Nov 26, 2014
Edmonton
Theres no way MacT can watch those 2 last periods of straight up bombardment on our poor goalie and not realize we need to improve our D right? RIGHT? :laugh:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Theres no way MacT can watch those 2 last periods of straight up bombardment on our poor goalie and not realize we need to improve our D right? RIGHT? :laugh:

The defence is bad but that was more a product of the whole team getting overwhelmed. This team as a whole isnt nearly good enough.

In any event if you think the D is bad now...just wait until after Petry gets traded.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
The defence is bad but that was more a product of the whole team getting overwhelmed. This team as a whole isnt nearly good enough.

In any event if you think the D is bad now...just wait until after Petry gets traded.

You're right about the aftermath of the Petry trade. What's the team to do?

Petry is bailing after the season. Might as well get something for him now. Even if it is only a 2nd rounder and a B-level prospect, it's better than nothing.

Not like the team is playing for anything this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad