What's the odds on Draisaitl making the team?

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Also keep in mind that Draisaitl may never be an above average skater or great defensively.

Players do develop and improve (whether in junior, in the AHL or in the NHL) but some players have a level where they sometimes can't get beyond.... skating is probably a good example.

Is Eberle ever going to be elite defensively? I doubt it... what we see now is probably about as good as it gets and this is from a player that's nearing his mid 20's after being in the league for several years.. who was brought along fairly slowly. Now I know he's a winger so his defensive skills aren't quite as critical... but point is... some players simply are what they are and improvement in certain areas is minimal from year to year.

Is Petry ever going to develop into a great all-around D... capable of using his big shot to quarterback the PP plus being solid defensively? Probably not... he shows glimpses but I don't know if he'll reach that ceiling to fulfill his full potential. Again he's well into his 20's and has years of development and still needs work to reach his peak after several years in the NHL.

You could throw more examples out there quite easily.

Point being... Draisaitl likely isn't going to suddenly explode forth and and become defensively dominant... or become an above average skater just because of another year in junior. If/when he becomes solid in those areas... it will be because he worked on them and developed those skills... wherever he is at the time.. the location shouldn't be prohibitive to that development and the work he puts in.

Eirhead*

Point being... Draisaitl likely isn't going to suddenly explode forth and and become defensively dominant... or become an above average skater just because of another year in junior. If/when he becomes solid in those areas... it will be because he worked on them and developed those skills... wherever he is at the time.. the location shouldn't be prohibitive to that development and the work he puts in.

I've never really heard scouting reports say Draisaitl was weak defensively...

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/497561
Draisaitl is a heavy, two-way center who has produced points at an impressive rate while logging first-line minutes for the Prince Albert Raiders. Draisaitl finished fourth in the WHL in scoring as a first-time draft-eligible skater, was 14th in the league in goals per game (and third among first time draft eligible skaters, behind only Jake Virtanen and Sam Reinhart), and was third in assists per game - behind only Nicolas Petan and Reinhart.

For all of Draisaitl's offensive acumen, and his production is very impressive, it's his size and two-way ability that has scouts drooling. Draisaitl has an ability to leverage his size when protecting the puck on offense and similarly to separate opponents from the puck on defense, traits that NHL clubs traditionally prize.

Draisaitl is expected to be a top-five pick at the 2014 draft, although he has slipped in the Central Scouting rankings since midseason. With a handful of skilled European players showing very well at the U18 tournament in recent months, he could fall late into the top-10.

So long as he's selected eighth or higher, he'll edge Detlef Schrempf to become the highest selected German player in any major North American professional sport in the modern era (the Bruins selected Orest Romashyna at No. 3 overall in 1963).

I expect him to come in and be a contributor right away - in all areas of the rink.

The skating is the biggest concern, but we'll get a better idea when he's on NHL ice.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Both his skating and defensive abilities have been questioned by various people... how valid those concerns are will be shown when he gets a chance to show how he can do in camp/exhibition games/9 game stint.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
Both his skating and defensive abilities have been questioned by various people... how valid those concerns are will be shown when he gets a chance to show how he can do in camp/exhibition games/9 game stint.

His defensive game is very good, from what i have seen...which includes his choices of plays in the offensive zone (something most couch talkers dont take in to account). Good defensive and responsible hockey IQ over theentire rink.

As for skating. I am old enough to remember joe thornton as a rook, watched mario lemieux, getzlaf etc. Not worried at all.

Eirhead*

I've only seen it questioned on forums. Sometimes this medium can spread misinformation like the gospel.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I've only seen it questioned on forums. Sometimes this medium can spread misinformation like the gospel.

Pretty much, Gregor has had quite a few guests and talked to a bunch of others off the record and it seems that a lot of stuff is blown out of proportion. He's really no different than any other top 3 pick in the past 5 years. Has his issues, but the key is he has enough other talents that made him a top 3 pick. Time will tell if he has to go back to Junior like a Huberdeau or if he has enough to make the NHL like Landeskog.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
I realize there is plenty of time to training camp, but does it strike anyone else as odd that Draisaitl hasn't been signed yet?

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
it's also strange that I appear to be the first one on HF concerned about it :laugh:

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
it's also strange that I appear to be the first one on HF concerned about it :laugh:

Actually I was wondering about it since middle of July, and was surprised no one mentioned it until now. Some of our late signings of top prospects actually happened end of July so I decided to wait. Also, I'm not too concerned, because he will no doubt get signed, but maybe they are trying to resolve the Justin Schultz extension before announcing Draisaitl's ELC.

Also, isn't it cool, its already middle of August and september is around the corner and october is practically right there!! ^^ Excited for a new season, can't wait!!!

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Actually I was wondering about it since middle of July, and was surprised no one mentioned it until now. Some of our late signings of top prospects actually happened end of July so I decided to wait. Also, I'm not too concerned, because he will no doubt get signed, but maybe they are trying to resolve the Justin Schultz extension before announcing Draisaitl's ELC.

Also, isn't it cool, its already middle of August and september is around the corner and october is practically right there!! ^^ Excited for a new season, can't wait!!!

Well, if it's anything like the last 4 or 5 seasons, your excitedness should wear down after about 20 games.

Let's hope it doesn't come to that.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
try checking the trade proposals of the kings and oils one, there's a guy who makes a comment on Draisaitl might not be an nhler, because he came from a "German League." LOL.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004

Yech reminds me of winter.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
Pretty much, Gregor has had quite a few guests and talked to a bunch of others off the record and it seems that a lot of stuff is blown out of proportion. He's really no different than any other top 3 pick in the past 5 years. Has his issues, but the key is he has enough other talents that made him a top 3 pick. Time will tell if he has to go back to Junior like a Huberdeau or if he has enough to make the NHL like Landeskog.

I think unlike Huberdeau, the Oilers will only be playing Leon as a C. If he cant make the team as a C he doesnt make the team. No Galchenyuk or Huberdeau babying on the wing.

It is tough to come in to the NHL and play Centre which is why i am still very high on RNH who made the transition look so easy.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
I keep waiting for someone, anyone to tell who is going to play C in place of Draisitl if he plays poor enough to not make the team.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
I hate to point this out but alot of people have Gordon and Hendricks both on the bottom line. I really like Gordons game and to me he is a puck possession beast and knows where to be to support all over the ice. Watching him when we were without RNH and Gagner was eye opening. He has alot more offensive IQ than i remembered from PHO.

I would prefer him playing on the third line. Fourth line for him seems like wasting a solid support centre for wingers that need more insulation. He has enough speed to keep up, takes the body when contact is in his area, is a hound for loose pucks, distributes pucks and sees the ice effectively, and defensively sound. Also showed nice hand eye with a few stick blade tips in his rare pp opportunities that could assist in a five on five situation with a third line of purcell and poopoo.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
I keep waiting for someone, anyone to tell who is going to play C in place of Draisitl if he plays poor enough to not make the team.

Watching his junior games, i honestly dont think he will fail. I am excited to see how he does with actual talent surrounding him.

As much as i was all for trading Yak for Gallagher last season, i have a feeling Leon will be saving Yaks Edmonton career.

Hall Nuge Ebs
Perron Dray Yak
Purcell Gordon Poop
Arco Hendricks

Nikitin Petry
Marincin Fayne
Ference Shultz.

Last edited:

McLotto 97

Believe in 13.5%
Mar 14, 2011
Edmonton
If the twitter update is true --I would think it is 100% to make the team.

Out clause in ELC that allows him to go to Europe to play if he does not make the oilers.

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
If the twitter update is true --I would think it is 100% to make the team.

Out clause in ELC that allows him to go to Europe to play if he does not make the oilers.

So he's playing against men either way. I'd be very surprised if it isn't in the NHL, but I guess we'll see what we have in him and his motivation level in a few weeks.

fivecups

Nov 9, 2011
Edmonton
I think they held out on signing him so he would use it as motivation during his summer training...Hopefully that works out

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad