What's the odds on Draisaitl making the team?

dobiezeke*

I think MacT is blowing smoke with any comments or references he's made to wanting to add up the middle. I think he's perfectly content with rolling with what he has... and using Draisaitl/Arcobello/Lander to fill out the roster at centre. There's always Acton as a #4 C option as well.

I think in the back of his mind he's also keeping in mind that guys like Khaira/Yakimov/Ewanyk are going to be developing in OKC and I'm betting he doesn't feel they need yet another mediocre C added to the roster... the team has enough of them already. :)

Very true...is Drai going to be any worse than the scraps available at this point for centre?

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Very true...is Drai going to be any worse than the scraps available at this point for centre?

Truthfully that is sort of irrelevant. In regards to Draisaitl you need to be doing whats best for him. If he isn't ready to take on the significant role he is going to placed in, he shouldn't be on the team. Period. Even if that means you might be playing a guy who is worse than he might be in that spot.

dobiezeke*

Truthfully that is sort of irrelevant. In regards to Draisaitl you need to be doing whats best for him. If he isn't ready to take on the significant role he is going to placed in, he shouldn't be on the team. Period. Even if that means you might be playing a guy who is worse than he might be in that spot.

It is relevant. The man in charge of the team who selected him has made it very clear.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Personally if I were running the team my first instinct I think would be to want Draisaitl back in junior to work on his skating/speed and defense.

Saying that though... some players are able to learn and push themselves better when exposed to a higher level of competition... they "rise to the level of competition" so to speak.

You would also have to think the training and resources at the NHL level would likely be better than at the junior level... I'm not knocking the coaching at the junior level... but there has to be more opportunity for a player to take advantage of pro-level training/mentors/coaching than at the junior level.

Putting aside for a moment that many of us feel this is somewhat of a mickey-mouse club when it comes to coaching and development... you still would have to think there are some benefits to having him learn and train at the NHL level.

Also... Draisaitl has been a prospect in the limelight for an extended period... he was THE prospect in the German system and has for 3 years represented his team at not only junior championships... but at the WHC this past year as well.

Leon's father was a long time professional hockey player and coach as well which I'm sure has helped him know what he needs to develop and work on to be a success at higher levels of play.

Draisaitl probably isn't your typical 18 year old fresh out of Junior... I mean he IS that as well... but he's also carrying around experiences gained from playing around the world and in several elite tournaments where he was expected to be an elite contributor.

He's played on big ice... and small... in Europe and in North America.

He seems to know his weaknesses and what he needs to work on and seems to have an advanced level of maturity to go along with his physical stature which is certainly NHL-worthy.

I think when you assess the "big picture" and not just look at him as a 18 year old with flaws who needs to work on them in junior... I think a strong argument can be made he can work on those flaws and issues at the NHL level.

Besides... exactly which players on the Oilers DON'T have flaws and which players who have been on the Oilers already for YEARS... still need to work on their game and improve in many areas?

Answer... several if not the majority of them.

So my final answer... yes, Draisaitl is likely ready to make the jump to the NHL level and he... just like many other high end prospects will be able to learn and work on his game at this higher level just as well as he would in junior, if not more so.

OVOXO*

Arcobello shouldn't be in the NHL. Draisaitl at 18 as our 2C will be better than Arco will ever be.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I think his point was that Calgary did a great job sheltering Monohan. What's yours?

Sheltering infers safety from the storm. No effective sheltering occurred. Bombardment did occur as the season progressed.

I just thought it was funny that an Oiler fan was citing Calgary as an example for us to continue our winningless ways.

No offence meant, and the Flames certainly run a better org, but to hear an Oiler fan advocating strategies doomed to failure is odd at best.

I like Draisaitl but if he's the #2 center this year this team is not even remotely competitive.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

You would also have to think the training and resources at the NHL level would likely be better than at the junior level... I'm not knocking the coaching at the junior level... but there has to be more opportunity for a player to take advantage of pro-level training/mentors/coaching than at the junior level.

Putting aside for a moment that many of us feel this is somewhat of a mickey-mouse club when it comes to coaching and development... you still would have to think there are some benefits to having him learn and train at the NHL level.

Kittens would cry if Draisaitl wasn't allowed the benefit of such coaching tips as'

"chop wood carry water"

:D

Sorry in advance, but it does sound like in your post you're trying to talk yourself into thinking something that you know probably isn't sound, given the coaching we have here.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
Sheltering infers safety from the storm. No effective sheltering occurred. Bombardment did occur as the season progressed.

I just thought it was funny that an Oiler fan was citing Calgary as an example for us to continue our winningless ways.

No offence meant, and the Flames certainly run a better org, but to hear an Oiler fan advocating strategies doomed to failure is odd at best.

I like Draisaitl but if he's the #2 center this year this team is not even remotely competitive.

if it helps the arguement the flames GM has already stated that Bennett will be going back to JR

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Kittens would cry if Draisaitl wasn't allowed the benefit of such coaching tips as'

"chop wood carry water"

:D

Sorry in advance, but it does sound like in your post you're trying to talk yourself into thinking something that you know probably isn't sound, given the coaching we have here.

Well honestly to some degree yes you detected correctly. :)

Saying that though.. I don't think it's black and white that he'd be better off spending another year in junior. He likely has the necessary maturity level and physical size to play in the NHL now.

Let's say his skating and defensive ability is below average... Gagner level let's say... and what's to say that Draisaitl can't work on that at the NHL level just like Gagner did... and get up to the level that Gagner did after 7 years in the NHL. :)

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

I don't think anyone was expecting to compete for a playoff spot next season anyway.

They have enough talent to not finish in the bottom 5, the coaching staff needs to stop making excuses and show tangiable progress. A lot of teams make due with less.

Olive Oil

Jul 14, 2014
Rome, Italy
The true test for Draisaitl will, obviously, be how how performs in training camp and pre-season games. Ideally, the Oil should have better options at C so he could play here on the wing to start. Unfortunately, this is not the case and playing that position would be, I believe, a tad too much for him to handle. He belongs back in PA, but if he proves to be the best option we have, he just might stick around.

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
Well honestly to some degree yes you detected correctly. :)

Saying that though.. I don't think it's black and white that he'd be better off spending another year in junior. He likely has the necessary maturity level and physical size to play in the NHL now.

Let's say his skating and defensive ability is below average... Gagner level let's say... and what's to say that Draisaitl can't work on that at the NHL level just like Gagner did... and get up to the level that Gagner did after 7 years in the NHL. :)

So basically, in comparing him to Gagner, you're saying it's unlikely he'll improve his skating at all, while playing in the NHL. Got it.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Not sure if Mac T is "blowing smoke". He has to walk the line of trying to keep the MSM and fanbase informed, while making it seem like he's not desperately, desperately trying to acquire a 2C. :)

If he came out and said "yeah, Draisaitl should be going back to junior, I just don't know what we're going to do about 2C", and then he goes and talks to Nill or whoever, they'll have a major advantage and make him overpay.

I mean, the need for a 2C is obvious, but if Mac T can say "no, really, we're 100% sold on Draisaitl, we think he's the real deal", then at least he can appear a bit more casual.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I could still see a trade happening for a guy but at this point Leons odds are really, really good.

MikeModano9

Oct 27, 2011
Tallahassee
I love how LD stayed in Edmonton all summer to train. Says a lot about the person, when his country was riding the waves of the World Cup and everyone was celebrating and partying but he choose to train here. Hopefully he has a solid camp and makes it hard for them to send him back. With our center death, (or lack thereof) it seems likely he cracks the lineup.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
So basically, in comparing him to Gagner, you're saying it's unlikely he'll improve his skating at all, while playing in the NHL. Got it.

Yes I know for certain his skating will never improve... probably regress if anything... defensively he'll be inept his whole career as well... I also know the lottery numbers for the next draw.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Speaking about Draisaitl, when the hell's his entry signing? It didn't take Hall and the rest that long to sign it.

Eirhead*

What is best for him???

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
What is best for him???

I don't know. Probably going back to junior. Prior to him being drafted most things I read/heard were that he wasn't ready to make the NHL jump. His skating flat isn't on par and his defensive game while improving still needs work. I remember an interview Gregor did with the GM from the PA Raiders where he said that he would benefit from another year in junior.

The Oilers are putting him in a position where he's going to need to simply not look bad to make the team. I'd much prefer a position where he needs to look amazing and even then might not make it.

My one glimmer of hope is that they did send Nurse back last year after a pretty darn good camp. Maybe they actually believe in not rushing prospects.

surshot*

I don't know. Probably going back to junior. Prior to him being drafted most things I read/heard were that he wasn't ready to make the NHL jump. His skating flat isn't on par and his defensive game while improving still needs work. I remember an interview Gregor did with the GM from the PA Raiders where he said that he would benefit from another year in junior.

The Oilers are putting him in a position where he's going to need to simply not look bad to make the team. I'd much prefer a position where he needs to look amazing and even then might not make it.

My one glimmer of hope is that they did send Nurse back last year after a pretty darn good camp. Maybe they actually believe in not rushing prospects.

I think we need to see him in training camp before making any decision on him. I get the don't rush prospects blah blah blah, but players of his caliber make the decision. The fact is unless we go get two top nine centers like right now he has a open door to walk through. where its just a matter of performance. I read and hear a lot of stuff as well so you must read and listen to different people in terms of you hearing he is not ready. From my muddy memory i was hearing a lot of, "he is other than Ekblad the most NHL ready player in this draft" talk. Its not going to be the end of the world if he makes the team. Most likely it would just mean he is ready.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
I don't think there's any doubt he could perform in some way at the NHL level. But throwing him into a 2C role in the hardest division in hockey isn't a recipe for success IMHO.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
comparing a player with NHL experience vs a prospect isn't fair. Of course Monahan would win that, even if Draisaitl would be rated higher if they were drafted at the same time.

It's like the 2013 re-drafts that went on. Doing it this early is meaningless. Nurse gets dinged hard because he's not a NHL player yet. In other words, by doing the right thing and keeping him down a season, we severely damaged his ranking. It's ridiculous.

Yea. I don't understand why people can't attempt to project players on a forum called Hockey's Future.

I'd take Nurse over Aulie, Draisaitl over Acrobello, etc... Playing in the NHL doesn't really mean much when you're talking about high-level prospects. They're going to make it.

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
Yea. I don't understand why people can't attempt to project players on a forum called Hockey's Future.

I'd take Nurse over Aulie, Draisaitl over Acrobello, etc... Playing in the NHL doesn't really mean much when you're talking about high-level prospects. They're going to make it.

Both are better in a bubble, but risks come with bringing a prospect in at that age. One of the worst is that their confidence gets shattered and they start focusing on the basics to get by, and never fully develop into what they could have been.

Say that happens to Arcobello or Lander. Who cares. They probably weren't ever going to be factors on this team anyway (well, it would be nice if Lander could show something one day...). So if we have to sacrifice a guy to take a hard assignment while protecting our younger prospects until they're more physically and emotionally mature, maybe it should be Arcobello.

Also consider that Mark Arcobello WAS our second line centre for a bit last year, and did a pretty decent job. His production eventually plunged, but he played a lot of games in a different role from where he did put up points. He might be a good stopgap.

I think you have Draisaitl up as #3C next season and Arcobello or Lander as the #2C, or trade for one. Nurse shouldn't be up for Aulie, because Aulie is #7D and Nurse needs to be playing wherever he is, in my mind at least.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad