What's the odds on Draisaitl making the team?

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
As the summer wears on and I watch more and more video of Leon I am slowly leaning away from the thought he would benefit from Junior hockey.

The guy seems so driven and mature.

The vid of him chillin with those kids and all those ones with the media makes him seem like he is 30 years old not 18.

Hall says and does the right stuff but I kind of get the feeling after the camera goes away he is playing X-box and eating KD. Leon just looks/acts like one of those guys that doesn't fool around much.

I am a massive Hall and RNH fan but I have this sneaking suspicion Leon may end up being my favorite of them all down the road.

A guy a driven as Leon appears to be can continue his training while playing limited or sheltered minutes in the NHL. Will study games from the press box if necessary to improve.

My official stance is still send him down but damn, he is making me doubt how much that would actually benefit him.

With Nuge I knew Junior wouldn't help his overall game because he was so polished but in hind sight he could have used the time to get stronger physically and maybe worked on face offs. In Leons case he really doesn't need to get bigger/stronger for NHL life, just needs a bit more polish to his game. Maybe it wouldn't be rushing him if we kept him... So hard to say.

I'm 100% agree on everything you said, and for the bolded, I've always root for our top end players, but surprisingly I never had one player that I really favored over the other on the oilers. They are usually about even, and change game per game depending in how much they contribute.
Though Draisaitl has yet to play in the NHL, I'm really digging his mature attitude and dedication. I think he may become my favorite future oiler too.:handclap:

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
I feel like maybe we all think this ever year, but I'm really excited for training camp this year. Our team still has glaring holes at centre beyond RNH and Gordon, but with Draisaitl, Yakimov, a hopefully VERY motivated Lander and Arcobello... it'll be really interesting to see what these guys can bring. Such a wild card situation where we could end up with no centres out of the group ready to play in the NHL, or maybe four. Scary, but I'm excited none the less.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Given that they used Gagner as a center for 7 straight seasons despite being clearly terrible at that position certainly reinforces the no plan theroy.

While it certainly is not a great plan they do have 3 centers, all different ages but all with the "potential" to fill those 2 center spots. Both Lander and Arco while not perfect would certainly be given a chance in the NHL with another club based on what they have shown to date. Leon would also have a solid chance to make most NHL roster based on his skill set.

Sucks that we are weaker at center rather than wing but really we only have three forwards spots available for:

Leon
Lander
Arco
Joensuu
Gazdic
Pitlick

Its not just our weakness at Center. Our forwards are not particularly adept about caring about own zone play either and we have nothing even resembling a shutdown D.

Scrivens is certainly going to have a lot of work. But I'm more concerned that an org that foisted Gagner into an immediate C role at the age of 18, that did the same with RNH, is now rushing Draisaitl into the same position.

tbh I think RNH is still on a steep learning curve and now we've added another young C to this mix. With Arco being not ready for prime time and Lander looking lost in space most of the time.

Of these Centers only Gordon has demonstrated ability to withstand the tough WC Center matchups. Other than that its going to be stormy sailing. This is a bad plan. No disrespect to Draisaitl but we now have even less experience at the critical C position than we had a year ago.

What is this org doing?

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
...Mark Fayne?

Wheres Andy Greene? I meant to state shutdown D pairing.

Fayne looks to be the best addition to the club but seriously who here makes up the other half of that top pairing D?

Plus that this is the WC. Fayne will have a learning curve here anyway playing in the much better WC against bigger, more physical teams.

I know Fayne has expressed he's game for that. It will be an adjustment nonetheless.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I'm 100% certain he gets nine games next year.

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Yakupov-Drasaitl-Perron
Pouliot-Purcell-Gordon
Joensuu-Hendricks-Gazdic

Schultz-Nikitin
Ference-Petry
Marinicn-Aulie
Fayne

Scrivens
Fasth

But if he gets sent down, Purcell takes over the second line where he'd be.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
I'm 100% certain he gets nine games next year.

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Yakupov-Drasaitl-Perron
Pouliot-Purcell-Gordon
Joensuu-Hendricks-Gazdic

Schultz-Nikitin
Ference-Petry
Marinicn-Aulie
Fayne

Scrivens
Fasth

But if he gets sent down, Purcell takes over the second line where he'd be.

Our best defensive centre, and our best guy on faceoffs probably shouldn't be on the wing. Not to mention MacT stated Gordon will be centering the fourth line. Perron and Yak on the wrong wings, if anything, it'll go...

Hall Nuge Ebs
Perron Arco/trade target Yakupov
Pouliot Draisaitl Purcell
Hendo Gordon _______
Gazdic

Hey, I see you have Fayne as our 7th dman, lol wth?

SchultzSquared*

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Perron-Arcobello-Purcell
Pouliot-Draisaitl-Yakupov
Hendricks-Gordon-Penner/Setoguchi/Bertuzzi($1.2M/1 yr)
Lander Gazdic

Nikitin-Fayne
Ference-J. Schultz ($3.5M/2 yrs)
Marincin-Petry
Aulie

Scrivens
Fasth

==$64.9MM

Enough that if a good 2C comes up on the market we could off load Arco + Klefbom and absorb a full caphit...

Eirhead*

I'm 100% agree on everything you said, and for the bolded, I've always root for our top end players, but surprisingly I never had one player that I really favored over the other on the oilers. They are usually about even, and change game per game depending in how much they contribute.
Though Draisaitl has yet to play in the NHL, I'm really digging his mature attitude and dedication. I think he may become my favorite future oiler too.:handclap:

Ya, I really like his attitude too. To me he seems like he's taking a very business like approach to being the best player possible. No fooling around. Myself, being of German heritage, I've already planned to get his jersey as soon as I know he's on the team. :D

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Perron-Arcobello-Purcell
Pouliot-Draisaitl-Yakupov
Hendricks-Gordon-Penner/Setoguchi/Bertuzzi($1.2M/1 yr)
Lander Gazdic

Nikitin-Fayne
Ference-J. Schultz ($3.5M/2 yrs)
Marincin-Petry
Aulie

Scrivens
Fasth

==$64.9MM

Enough that if a good 2C comes up on the market we could off load Arco + Klefbom and absorb a full caphit...

Good looking lineup.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Replies in bold.

Its not just our weakness at Center. Our forwards are not particularly adept about caring about own zone play either and we have nothing even resembling a shutdown D.

Hall & RNH are notably improving. Perron is not bad IMO. Arco is good. Purcell & Pouliot are both decent in this manner from everything I have heard. Gordon and Hendricks are great. Ebs is weak. Yak is beyond terrible right now. Hall & RNH improving will help a lot. Arco, Pouliot, and Purcell all improve our two game fairly significantly actually. Marincin Fayne would be an incredible shutdown pair.

Scrivens is certainly going to have a lot of work. But I'm more concerned that an org that foisted Gagner into an immediate C role at the age of 18, that did the same with RNH, is now rushing Draisaitl into the same position.

Agree 100%.

tbh I think RNH is still on a steep learning curve and now we've added another young C to this mix. With Arco being not ready for prime time and Lander looking lost in space most of the time.

RNH will take time to reach his potential (I think at least till age 23) but will be respectable along the way. Arco is ready for prime time. He has beat the AHL. His two way game at the NHL level is there. He is a proven (very limited sample size I know) effective NHL center. Lander is lost but he is close to beating the AHL if he hasn't already.

Of these Centers only Gordon has demonstrated ability to withstand the tough WC Center matchups. Other than that its going to be stormy sailing. This is a bad plan. No disrespect to Draisaitl but we now have even less experience at the critical C position than we had a year ago.

I do not think it is a good plan but it is the one I would have gone with as well under the circumstances. Cap management and having 3 "okay" options for 2 positions is... what it is, a calculated risk that 2 of your 3 prospects are going to succeed at the NHL level. Bringing someone else in would push someone out of job who really should be getting the opportunity.

I really want to put Gagner behind me in every way imaginable. I think he has potential and I know he got a bum wrap here but... you got to let this go. Gagner sucked balls as a center. Just talking about the ability to play the center position (not put up points, dangle, shoot/score) Arco is very clearly superior to Gagner. Removing Gagner from the center position was well overdue and "should" significantly improves our team. Depending on how those 3 do of course.

What is this org doing?

Hopefully improving this year. I think Eakins will have turned the corner or will be replaced and if we go with a proven NHL coach I think our days of suffering are behind us. (crosses fingers)

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I think MacT is blowing smoke with any comments or references he's made to wanting to add up the middle. I think he's perfectly content with rolling with what he has... and using Draisaitl/Arcobello/Lander to fill out the roster at centre. There's always Acton as a #4 C option as well.

I think in the back of his mind he's also keeping in mind that guys like Khaira/Yakimov/Ewanyk are going to be developing in OKC and I'm betting he doesn't feel they need yet another mediocre C added to the roster... the team has enough of them already. :)

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
So its either Arco, Lander or Drasaitl as the 2nd line centre?

I bet the Oilers make a trade. Those guys are pretty green for that kind of responsibility IMO.

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
So its either Arco, Lander or Drasaitl as the 2nd line centre?

I bet the Oilers make a trade. Those guys are pretty green for that kind of responsibility IMO.

Yep, it's not ideal right now. Draisaitl is obviously the long-term solution to the 2nd line centre opening, but kids don't normally come in and play up to that level immediately. I think he benefits from playing in the NHL, but not from being torn apart trying to play above where he is. If he gets sheltered on the 3rd line, then we're probably all good (unless he has a rough camp and doesn't look ready for the NHL rigors).

That leaves a spot for one centre on the team, I think. It really should be Lander's, but the guy can't seem to do what he does in the AHL with the Oilers. I'd hate to see us give up assets for a stopgap #2 centre to tide us over until Draisaitl is ready, but I think that's what happens if Lander falters in training camp and Arcobello doesn't show his early season flair from last year.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Yep, it's not ideal right now. Draisaitl is obviously the long-term solution to the 2nd line centre opening, but kids don't normally come in and play up to that level immediately. I think he benefits from playing in the NHL, but not from being torn apart trying to play above where he is. If he gets sheltered on the 3rd line, then we're probably all good (unless he has a rough camp and doesn't look ready for the NHL rigors).

That leaves a spot for one centre on the team, I think. It really should be Lander's, but the guy can't seem to do what he does in the AHL with the Oilers. I'd hate to see us give up assets for a stopgap #2 centre to tide us over until Draisaitl is ready, but I think that's what happens if Lander falters in training camp and Arcobello doesn't show his early season flair from last year.

A stop gap for a guy like Musil or Gernat could be worth it long term IMO. Especially now that Fayne and Nikitin have some term

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Our best defensive centre, and our best guy on faceoffs probably shouldn't be on the wing. Not to mention MacT stated Gordon will be centering the fourth line. Perron and Yak on the wrong wings, if anything, it'll go...

Hall Nuge Ebs
Perron Arco/trade target Yakupov
Pouliot Draisaitl Purcell
Hendo Gordon _______
Gazdic

Hey, I see you have Fayne as our 7th dman, lol wth?

The more I think about it, the more I'd like to give Pinizzotto a shot with Gordon and Hendricks on the fourth line. I really, hope he makes it a hard decision to send him back to OKC.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
4th line for the Oilers is interesting to see who ends up there..

Gordon
Hendricks
Joensuu
Arcobello
Lander
Gazdic
Acton
Pakarinen
Pinnizzotto
Pitlick
Hamilton

You could conceivably see any of those players doing duty on the 4th line for the Oilers this season.

Last edited:

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
I think his point was that Calgary did a great job sheltering Monohan. What's yours?

they didn't though. it was clear about half way through the season he was pretty well done. was getting slaughtered defensively, despite being thought of as a mature, big, fairly dependable 2 way C. Had a real hot start to the season offensively then tailed off dramatically. I see no evidence that he was effectively sheltered, despite being flanked with decent NHL vets. How do people think a one dimensional, 18 year old offensively gifted (from a weak draft year), fairly slow footed centre is going to have success in his rookie season, playing tough minutes against tough teams... boggles the mind the Oilers can actually let this happen... well actually no it doesn't lol

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Nurse too. Dude has unstoppable work ethic and says the right stuff always. His devotion to being an NHLer is above and behind any prospect recently drafted. Might be getting his jersey soon

oilpen

Jun 26, 2013
Cole Harbour
they didn't though. it was clear about half way through the season he was pretty well done. was getting slaughtered defensively, despite being thought of as a mature, big, fairly dependable 2 way C. Had a real hot start to the season offensively then tailed off dramatically. I see no evidence that he was effectively sheltered, despite being flanked with decent NHL vets. How do people think a one dimensional, 18 year old offensively gifted (from a weak draft year), fairly slow footed centre is going to have success in his rookie season, playing tough minutes against tough teams... boggles the mind the Oilers can actually let this happen... well actually no it doesn't lol

Do you think not sending Monahan back to junior hurt his development?

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

This is always my concern. The handling of Monahan was atrocious and he should have sent to junior. I worry with LD as a result. He has to blow me away this camp in order for me to be comfortable giving him even easy NHL minutes.

From the videos he's determined to improve skating and d zone play, so maybe he can do it. We shall see

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
This is always my concern. The handling of Monahan was atrocious and he should have sent to junior. I worry with LD as a result. He has to blow me away this camp in order for me to be comfortable giving him even easy NHL minutes.

From the videos he's determined to improve skating and d zone play, so maybe he can do it. We shall see

Monahan was given crappy competition and mostly offensive zone starts, while rarely cracking more than 22 mins a night since Backlund and Stajan carried the heavy loads. I'm not sure what else Hartely could've done to shelter one of the few natural goal scorers on a team that needed goals?

Tailing off is common for a draftee. Monahan went to the playoffs with the 67's, then got drafted (combine, media, etc.) and went to development camp and the Penticton prospects tourney before regular season camp. He played 70+ games to boot on a developing team known for its hard work.

The kid was probably burnt out. I would expect LD to have a similar outcome as Monahan, who did what you said and had a brilliant training camp.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Do you think not sending Monahan back to junior hurt his development?

Unfortunately there's no middle ground. If the NHL was allowed to send draftees to the AHL, more high end players would go there instead of back to juniors. Brian Burke and Trevy have both stated Monahan is the exception rather than the norm and almost guaranteed that Bennett will go back to Juniors.

Monahan did have a 20 goal season as a 19 year old rookie. He proved what level he could play at.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Monahan was 4th among Flames forwards in scoring.... playing fewer minutes than those ahead of him. He had a solid rookie year.... and was a ****show at times defensively on a poor team... expected for a rookie.

I think that's a realistic result for Draisaitl this season as well. If he gets 30-35 pts playing 15 minutes a game while racking up a healthy double digit minus total... that's about as good as you can expect... and that will likely be the result whether he debuts in the NHL this year or next.

He's not going to suddenly be able to cope with NHL size/physicality/tempo just because he spends another year in Junior. The rookie year is always going to be a learning curve whether a player is 18 or 22.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Unless of course MacT gets a player he wants in a trade...Draisaitl is likely going to make the team only because this team is so thin down the middle.

I wont be a happy Oiler fan if that happens but its not like it hasn't happened before with this team.

So assuming he plays...he is likely to be a defensive s**t show which means him and Yak will need to be sheltered big time. Harder to shelter 2 forwards.

He does have good size though and from what I am hearing he is a very good puck distributor.

That said I am not sure about his skating...perhaps someone can fill in the blanks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad