What's the deal with Ryan Ellis?

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
Sorry for the bump but I find interesting to read things from barely 2 years ago and then be able to have another look at it.

What do you guys think about Ellis development in the recent years?

He has steadily improved year to year but this year seems to have taken a big jump. I personally think he just fits the new system really well. His defensive play has improved though and I think he is simply getting stronger and able to handle players along the boards more easily. I hope he a s Pred for a long time and his new contract this offseason should keep him here. I'll be very interested to see how he holds up when playoff time comes around. I don't think it will be an issue but it will be interesting to watch.

Nashville Transplant

Feb 28, 2013
Nash/LA
Hopefully Jones sees a big improvement between years 2 and 3, because the improvement in Ellis makes him a very valuable chip in GMDP's pocket. I wouldn't move either of these guys, as they are truly franchise blueliners. So much upside. Ellis blows my mind with his intelligence on ice every game. Love him to death!

preds1

Apr 2, 2010
TN
Hopefully Jones sees a big improvement between years 2 and 3, because the improvement in Ellis makes him a very valuable chip in GMDP's pocket. I wouldn't move either of these guys, as they are truly franchise blueliners. So much upside. Ellis blows my mind with his intelligence on ice every game. Love him to death!

Definitely agree NT.
Love Ellis' hockey IQ, became a fan of his last year.

darth5

No!
Mar 28, 2002
Smashville, TN
Ellis is now getting to play more minutes and more situations as Ekholm and he have developed good chemistry as a pairing. He has thrived under the new regime, no question it is better suited to his strengths. His decision-making has improved a great deal (coaching) and this experience has really allowed him to shine. Right now it would take a heck of a return to consider putting him in play, IMHO.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
He still gets out muscled along the boards, but I think this is happening less and less because his positioning is improving, negating the need to get in a purely physical matchup.

It's been really fun watching his transformation. I also love the slap pass off the boards that he does very well.

Nashville Transplant

Feb 28, 2013
Nash/LA
Its a bunch of things, Housley, Lavy, more experience and no Trotz

agreed and actually think this has a lot to do with the growth of Ekholm, the maturity of Josi, and my lack of feeling Weber was totally overrated last two years (when you're a big friggin' deal, make a boatload of money and don't actually positively impact the results, that tends to happen.)

Seeing the confidence of Ellis and Ekholm, and even in his limited duty, Victor Bartley, I think major props have to go to the new regime.

darth5

No!
Mar 28, 2002
Smashville, TN
Its a bunch of things, Housley, Lavy, more experience and no Trotz
I think it has a great deal to do with the first 3. As to the last, my gut says it helps all our D to play in a more wide open system, but no science to back that as Josi and Weber really thrived before. Whatever you credit, hard to question the results....

Mass

Feb 18, 2013
Baltimore, MD
agreed and actually think this has a lot to do with the growth of Ekholm, the maturity of Josi, and my lack of feeling Weber was totally overrated last two years (when you're a big friggin' deal, make a boatload of money and don't actually positively impact the results, that tends to happen.)

Seeing the confidence of Ellis and Ekholm, and even in his limited duty, Victor Bartley, I think major props have to go to the new regime.

And many lolz were had all around

Mass

Feb 18, 2013
Baltimore, MD
The good news... NOT THE CASE THIS YEAR!!!!

Would you say Jeff Carter "didn't actually positively impact the results" for his team in the two seasons prior to this one? Chris Kunitz? Alexander Ovechkin? Corey Perry? Joe Pavelski? Max Pacioretty? John Tavares? Alexander Steen? Jamie Benn? Jeff Skinner? Matt Duchene? Phil Kessel? Patrick Kane?

They all share something in common with Shea Weber. Something so basic and fundamental for winning in hockey, that disagrees with the idea that he didn't positively impact the results of the last two seasons.

Nashville Transplant

Feb 28, 2013
Nash/LA
Would you say Jeff Carter "didn't actually positively impact the results" for his team in the two seasons prior to this one? Chris Kunitz? Alexander Ovechkin? Corey Perry? Joe Pavelski? Max Pacioretty? John Tavares? Alexander Steen? Jamie Benn? Jeff Skinner? Matt Duchene? Phil Kessel? Patrick Kane?

They all share something in common with Shea Weber. Something so basic and fundamental for winning in hockey, that disagrees with the idea that he didn't positively impact the results of the last two seasons.

This is my 38th consecutive year of season tickets to NHL hockey(*). My 3rd in Nashville. It was just my opinion that Shea Weber's play in the previous two seasons was greatly overrated, and while I don't deny his shot, I thought he made way too many suicide passes to Josi and his (lack of) physical play considering his size was distressing. The team was horrible for the most part, and he was not dominant when he needed to be. Contrast that to this season, where he is a beast, and he and Josi are the total package. I give a TON of credit to Laviolette... and of course, the fact that those two guys are really skilled, smart players.

(*) oops, forgot about the lockout year ;) 37th and NOT CONSECUTIVE ;)

WartracePred

Sep 29, 2009
did we ever get the official word on Ellis injury?

Someone's brother's cousin that works with the medical staff at the Bridge said it was his groin. Can't remember if that was from twitter or on this board. Pretty sure he's been retroactively placed on IR and will be evaluated after the all-star break.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I would think they would have had to cut them both off, otherwise he's probably just skate in very fast circles

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Paul: And now, the first hockey player to skate using built-in hoverboards--Ryan ELLLLLLLisss

gopreds19

Formerly gobears19
Nov 10, 2008
Houston
Maybe I shouldn't be surprised by this, but what's with the inconsistency in reporting player injuries and timetable's for return? Do we even know what the injury is? Initially I think people were saying it was his knee, then it seemed it might have been groin, but now all I hear is "lower body injury".

The "lower body injury" line was all we heard regarding Pekka for a few days, but then word eventually leaked out that it was a knee sprain and he would be out 3-6 weeks.

Why hasn't the word eventually gotten out regarding Ellis? He is a huge part of the team, and was playing the best hockey of his career prior to getting hurt. Is it a matter of the media not digging enough (like would have been the case with a potential Hart winner in Rinne) or what?

pekkaslap

Jul 8, 2011
The injury is obviously worse than I first thought. At this point I would be happy with getting him back full strength for the playoffs. Shut him down for as long as he needs.

tampa pred

Jul 8, 2014
With the way that he was injured (non contact, no fall, etc) and the lack of a definable timetable for recovery, a groin injury makes the most sense. Reminds me of the Sullivan situation (2 years of who knows when he will return).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad