OT: What's the deal with OSEG?

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Not everything needs to be a conspiracy...
Absolutely. What is the upside though? own a team that drains money for another few seasons? Maybe this was just a way to gauge if this city actually liked soccer. I bet if this team was year in year out one of the best in the league and Attendance was ridiculous they would look into getting an MLS team.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Absolutely. What is the upside though? own a team that drains money for another few seasons? Maybe this was just a way to gauge if this city actually liked soccer. I bet if this team was year in year out one of the best in the league and Attendance was ridiculous they would look into getting an MLS team.

I dunno. Likely depends on the MLS season, as well. We have one hell of a long cold season in Ottawa...I don't know how long the MLS season is, but it would likely require some sort of domed field around here.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I doubt OSEGs pockets are deep enough to justify the 200M US for MLS expansion.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I doubt OSEGs pockets are deep enough to justify the 200M US for MLS expansion.
They own the stadium and could easily find investors to pony up the majority.

Rudy and Melnyk didn't have 4 billion for Lebreton.

Last edited:

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
They own the stadium and could easily find investors to pony up the majority.

Rudy and Melnyk didn't have 4 billion for Lebreton.
Lol. No one is putting that much money down when this city hasn’t sold out a sporting event since the RedBlack over a calendar year ago. EDIT: IMO

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Lol. No one is putting that much money down when this city hasn’t sold out a sporting event since the RedBlack over a calendar year ago. EDIT: IMO

Him: I bet if this team was year in year out one of the best in the league and Attendance was ridiculous they would look into getting an MLS team

You: They can't afford that

Him: They could get investors

You: Nobody will invest in a city that hasn't been able to sell tickets

You don't see the circular logic here?

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
It is amazing how people make comments, like a friend told me..., i think the attendances are..... If you dont know dont comment.. If you never watched a game or went to TD Place dont comment because you dont know what you are talking about. I was a volunteer for the Fury since the beginning over 6 years ago, first at Algonquin, then at Carleton and then at TD Place. The reason the Fury will not be playing next year is all about POLITICS, if you watched the press conferance today you would have heard Marc Goudie say they were making plans for the 2020 season but when it became apparent that CONCACAF, and CSA, would not sanction a Canadian team playing in the US they had no option to withdraw.
You have to realise how the soccer world works, CONCACAF is the governing body for North and Central America and the Carbibean. CONCACAF represents 41 countries and each country has one vote, each country that has a national league automatically is considered as a Division 1 league, so for example the MLS in the US is considered the only Division 1 league, if a new league is formed it is classed as Division 2 and then another league will be Division 3 and so on, the USL was considered a Division 2 league, even though it had way more teams than the MLS, when the Fury moved from the NASL to the USL they were then classified a Division 2 team, but when the CPL started up this year in Canada they automatically became a Division 1 league without playing a single game and they only had 7 teams, do you think that is fair?
The CPL was the dream of Victor Montagliani who was the president of the CSA, in 2016 he became the head of CONCACAF and was determined that Ottawa be apart of the CPL. For the Fury to play in the USL they had to be sanctioned by CONCACAF and CSA and because there was no other option for the Fury they always received their sanction, but as soon as the CPL was to start they did not want to give the sanction, it was only when the Fury threatened to take them to arbitration that at the last minute they backed off to allow them to play the 2019 season unfortunately it meant that the Fury missed out on signing a number of very good players who wanted to come to Ottawa but as there was no guarantee Ottawa would get that sanction they ended up signing for other teams.
Again if you listen to the press conference Marc Goudie stated they have NEVER had any communication with CONCACAF, since March the Fury have tried to communicate with CONCACAF but were just ignored by them.
Another reason why the Fury could not continue was finances, Goudie stated that OSEG has put over 15 million into the operation of the Fury since the beginning this included franchise fees to NASL and USL, also if the Fury had immediately moved to CPL there would have been a penalty fee for leaving the USL and a franchise fee to join the CPL, I am not sure what the franchise fee for the CPL was but it is 8 million to join CPL for next season.
OSEG were quite willing and had stated from the start that they would eventually join CPL but wanted to see how the league performed before making a commitment, but why would they leave a very successful and well established USL league that has had 2 teams recently move on to the MLS and i believe another 2 will go in the next couple of years, and these were teams that the Fury have played and have beaten. Also all the players who played for the Fury are under USL contracts and those contracts would not be transferable to the CPL so the Fury would have to start all over again in player recruitment. In most cases the salary level in the USL is higher than the CPL
Also for your information the USL (United Soccer League) is made upof 3 different leagues with 118 teams and 9 more to start next year, 1. Championship which the Fury played in consisted of 36 teams with 2 to start next season. 2. USL 1 which consists of 10 teams and 5 joining next year. USL 2 72 teams with 2 more joining next year. The USL is the largest and fastest growing soccer organisation in North America. the CPL had 7 teams this year how many next season who knows.
If you watched the press conference you would have seen John Pugh who is the father of the Fury it was his idea, his dream to start professional soccer in Ottawa, he had a very hard job of saying what he wanted to say and was on the verge of breaking down a number of times, his dream was being taken away from him. You would have seen Julian De Guzman Canada's best player ever unable to speak he was in tears, the operation of the Fury was his baby but it was being taken away from him.

Why do the politicoes have to get involved let the teams play where they want to play, let the players play where they want to play.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
It is amazing how people make comments, like a friend told me..., i think the attendances are..... If you dont know dont comment.. If you never watched a game or went to TD Place dont comment because you dont know what you are talking about. I was a volunteer for the Fury since the beginning over 6 years ago, first at Algonquin, then at Carleton and then at TD Place. The reason the Fury will not be playing next year is all about POLITICS, if you watched the press conferance today you would have heard Marc Goudie say they were making plans for the 2020 season but when it became apparent that CONCACAF, and CSA, would not sanction a Canadian team playing in the US they had no option to withdraw.
You have to realise how the soccer world works, CONCACAF is the governing body for North and Central America and the Carbibean. CONCACAF represents 41 countries and each country has one vote, each country that has a national league automatically is considered as a Division 1 league, so for example the MLS in the US is considered the only Division 1 league, if a new league is formed it is classed as Division 2 and then another league will be Division 3 and so on, the USL was considered a Division 2 league, even though it had way more teams than the MLS, when the Fury moved from the NASL to the USL they were then classified a Division 2 team, but when the CPL started up this year in Canada they automatically became a Division 1 league without playing a single game and they only had 7 teams, do you think that is fair?
The CPL was the dream of Victor Montagliani who was the president of the CSA, in 2016 he became the head of CONCACAF and was determined that Ottawa be apart of the CPL. For the Fury to play in the USL they had to be sanctioned by CONCACAF and CSA and because there was no other option for the Fury they always received their sanction, but as soon as the CPL was to start they did not want to give the sanction, it was only when the Fury threatened to take them to arbitration that at the last minute they backed off to allow them to play the 2019 season unfortunately it meant that the Fury missed out on signing a number of very good players who wanted to come to Ottawa but as there was no guarantee Ottawa would get that sanction they ended up signing for other teams.
Again if you listen to the press conference Marc Goudie stated they have NEVER had any communication with CONCACAF, since March the Fury have tried to communicate with CONCACAF but were just ignored by them.
Another reason why the Fury could not continue was finances, Goudie stated that OSEG has put over 15 million into the operation of the Fury since the beginning this included franchise fees to NASL and USL, also if the Fury had immediately moved to CPL there would have been a penalty fee for leaving the USL and a franchise fee to join the CPL, I am not sure what the franchise fee for the CPL was but it is 8 million to join CPL for next season.
OSEG were quite willing and had stated from the start that they would eventually join CPL but wanted to see how the league performed before making a commitment, but why would they leave a very successful and well established USL league that has had 2 teams recently move on to the MLS and i believe another 2 will go in the next couple of years, and these were teams that the Fury have played and have beaten. Also all the players who played for the Fury are under USL contracts and those contracts would not be transferable to the CPL so the Fury would have to start all over again in player recruitment. In most cases the salary level in the USL is higher than the CPL
Also for your information the USL (United Soccer League) is made upof 3 different leagues with 118 teams and 9 more to start next year, 1. Championship which the Fury played in consisted of 36 teams with 2 to start next season. 2. USL 1 which consists of 10 teams and 5 joining next year. USL 2 72 teams with 2 more joining next year. The USL is the largest and fastest growing soccer organisation in North America. the CPL had 7 teams this year how many next season who knows.
If you watched the press conference you would have seen John Pugh who is the father of the Fury it was his idea, his dream to start professional soccer in Ottawa, he had a very hard job of saying what he wanted to say and was on the verge of breaking down a number of times, his dream was being taken away from him. You would have seen Julian De Guzman Canada's best player ever unable to speak he was in tears, the operation of the Fury was his baby but it was being taken away from him.

Why do the politicoes have to get involved let the teams play where they want to play, let the players play where they want to play.
Good post. I don't remember you ever writing so much in one post before, in fact, I don't remember you ever writing more than the score or updating the game page results as they happen. Keep it up.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
It happens in other cities too. If you own a stadium you want to have tenants that at least break even. The panthers are a tenant who don't make very much money but the venue itself does.

No, I mean like... You answered your own question as though it was someone else that asked it.

It was weird.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
everyone is focusing on Soccer but there seems to be way more problems with them. They are not generating the revenue's they forecasted and if you take the Grey Cup out of the equation they are really behind. 67's had a great season last year and still didn't draw. I can't imagine what the RedBlacks are going to look like going forward if there aren't drastic improvements on field.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The 67's had a great playoff run last year with pretty full barns for four rounds, so OSEG did just fine from that. From what I gather, 67's attendance is up this year over last as well in the early going. Given that you don't have to pay the players in junior hockey, and get some TV, merchandise and development money, I think they're doing fine. Let's put it this way - the value of major junior hockey franchises continues to rise, not drop.

As for the REDBLACKS, they are doing fine there as well. Heck, they can just surf off the ridiculous amount of cash they made hosting the 2017 Grey Cup and the Sens Outdoor Game. The CFL does well from its deal with TSN, sells a lot of merchandise, and of course their player costs are controlled. The money losing franchises in the CFL are in BC and Toronto - from what I gather, everyone else is either treading water or making money.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Him: I bet if this team was year in year out one of the best in the league and Attendance was ridiculous they would look into getting an MLS team

You: They can't afford that

Him: They could get investors

You: Nobody will invest in a city that hasn't been able to sell tickets

You don't see the circular logic here?
No.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I mean Ottawans can be insanely cheap.

We had people complaining about $25 dollar tickets to go see the Fury and plenty already complained about Sens prices despite them being already cheap ($30 for seats and food was too much for some :laugh: )

This could snowball into a Sportaggedon for Ottawa I feel. The Redblacks are very likely to have very bad attendance next season as a result of this season so they need to recover fast.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
I mean Ottawans can be insanely cheap.

We had people complaining about $25 dollar tickets to go see the Fury and plenty already complained about Sens prices despite them being already cheap ($30 for seats and food was too much for some :laugh: )

This could snowball into a Sportaggedon for Ottawa I feel. The Redblacks are very likely to have very bad attendance next season as a result of this season so they need to recover fast.

Terrible post. Your comments about the Sens and Ottawa residents are either ignorant or trolling.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Terrible post. Your comments about the Sens and Ottawa residents are either ignorant or trolling.

What comments? That people in Ottawa can be very cheap? That there are people who complained about $25-$30 dollar tickets to go see a professional sports team play?

This is starting to look like a trend to me. The reason why the trend exists isn't clear but my own personal experience is that people in Ottawa complain about ticket prices a lot.

However attendance seems down across the board in North America. The reason as to why that is? I don't know, I just know that a lot of my friends who like hockey don't go to Sens games because they think it should be cheaper.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa

What comments? That people in Ottawa can be very cheap? That there are people who complained about $25-$30 dollar tickets to go see a professional sports team play?

This is starting to look like a trend to me. The reason why the trend exists isn't clear but my own personal experience is that people in Ottawa complain about ticket prices a lot.

However attendance seems down across the board in North America. The reason as to why that is? I don't know, I just know that a lot of my friends who like hockey don't go to Sens games because they think it should be cheaper.

I worked in a wide variety of restaurants in Ottawa for a long time. My perception of Ottawa residents has always been that they tend to be cheap when it comes to spending their entertainment dollars on things like dining out.

In my time, only one thing was ever consistent: people routinely complaining about menu prices. The quality of the ingredients or the quality of the products being sold was inconsequential. Just look at how many of the higher-end restaurants in Ottawa have failed to be sustainable. What does it come down to? People are unwilling to spend money on high end experiences and just generally have an aversion to spending money in a consistent manner on things like going out for dinner. And that extends to their entertainment dollars elsewhere. People just love complaining about having to spend money. Even within my group of friends, getting people to go out for drinks or for dinners was very tough because people just didn't want to spend the money on going out.

I now work and live in Toronto and have to say the difference is night and day between people's behaviours when it comes to spending. People don't shy away from things they think are worth the money. And that's not something I was ever able to say in Ottawa.

Just a personal anecdote from someone who worked in an industry very closely related to the discussion.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown

Who are these people complaining about $25-30 ticket prices for the Senators? Back up your statement with proof.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $6,151.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00