Prospect Info: Whats the deal with Duncan Siemens?

Gabe the Babe

Apr 24, 2014
Some of you are unbelievable lol. Siemens is gonna be fine and then some. You make it sound like he's about to turn 25. He's a 20 year old kid. Great skater for his size, loves to hit and fight, and most of all plays solid defense. Chill...

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
He wasn't drafted to be even a 25 point blueliner at the NHL level.

I will disagree with this. Pracey said in the presser after the draft that he thought there was some 2 way ability in him.

IMO it is fair to say he is not living up to the billing of being a top 15 pick (pretty difficult for any prospect to do), but hindsight 20/20 that draft was pretty weak for defensemen and people should lower their expectations. If he turns out to be a stay at home bottom pairing player that is great, and his ceiling is probably a middle pairing shutdown guy that has to be paired with an elite puck mover. Nothing wrong at all with developing that sort of player.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Any offensive ability started to come back last year when surprise, surprise he was paired with Elliott and was finally healthy and comfortable again. He started to take more risks, carry the puck. That and Lake Erie's wasteland of offense I wouldn't completely abandon all hope of him putting up some points. Though I agree, not an expectation but a bonus if that happens at this point.

JMP

Jun 8, 2010
A 20 year old prospect who has played fewer than 50 professional games in his life, and he's already a bust. :shakehead

I have to agree with this, he got hurt early this year so didn't play much but that doesn't make him a bust. It's funny cause you ask any AVS fan what we need most and more often than not they will respond that we need a shut down LHD which is what we expect him to grow in to.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
It's unfair, but I always wonder if the Avs had traded the #11 in 2011 instead of what became the #11 in 2012.

Yeah Filip Forsberg is the better prospect, but our defense would be even thinner as that #11 came after a run on d-men.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Both of whom were drafted ahead of him, obviously for good reason.

The five defensemen taken after him all have too - Ryan Murphy, Jamie Oleksiak, Nathan Beaulieu, Oscar Klefbom, and Connor Murphy.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
For some reason Jackman's name pops in my head when I think of Siemens. Is this an accurate comparison of mean-ness?

R S

Sep 18, 2006
For some reason Jackman's name pops in my head when I think of Siemens. Is this an accurate comparison of mean-ness?

Yes. That's the comparable I've used the last few years.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
How has he played this year in the AHL? If He makes the NHL do you guys see him as a 3rd pairing guy who hits a bunch? or could he be top 4?

FoppaForsberg*

At this point being a solid #5, physical best type I'd be happy with. Like a Gudas type.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Am I the only one that hears Seinfeld saying this thread name, when they see it get bumped?

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Ever see when Jay Onrait used to works for TSN and every time they showed Jared Cowen he did a Jerry Seinfeld impression since they're identical.

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
The five defensemen taken after him all have too - Ryan Murphy, Jamie Oleksiak, Nathan Beaulieu, Oscar Klefbom, and Connor Murphy.

Yes, but Jonas Brodin and Dougie Hamilton who were picked 1/2 picks before Siemens have been studs in the NHL for like 2 years now. That's why people are losing hope. That's a huge gap in terms of performance from 10th to 11th pick.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
If he could just stay healthy. It's tough enough to develop as a hockey player, let alone when you can't stay in the lineup consistently. 83 games in the AHL despite the fact that it feels like he's been down there for 3 years.

I honestly felt that he needed to have a full, healthy season this year and maybe see a late-season callup before maybe making the jump next year as a 5 or 6 guy for Colorado.

Looks like that timeline will be pushed back even further now.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Yes, but Jonas Brodin and Dougie Hamilton who were picked 1/2 picks before Siemens have been studs in the NHL for like 2 years now. That's why people are losing hope. That's a huge gap in terms of performance from 10th to 11th pick.

So what? If someone isn't in the NHL at 21 they are never going to make it? I don't care what the others did.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad