Prospect Info: Whats the deal with Duncan Siemens?

Hans Landaskog

Feb 27, 2012
Denver
Has he fallen off the face of the earth or does he have a shot of cracking the line-up? It seems like it would be about that time he should be making it. I didn't see much of him with LEM, so I'm unsure how he's developing.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
The offensive production isn't there with him, and so in a lot of people eyes he's developing into a bust(Non Avs fans will say this).

In reality, we didnt really expect much of an offensive game anyway from him. He's still developing well as a Shutdown, in you face Defensive guy. Probably will start next season in LEM, but will see injury spot duty, and may crack the roster the following year.

Likely going to be a #3/4 guy with little offense, but good Defense in a Josh Georges type of mold.

Burnaby_Joe*

When we drafted him, I was so pumped, not so much anymore.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
He's still developing.

He wasn't drafted to be a guy who would jump straight into the NHL or even a guy who would put up points in the AHL. He's developing just as he needs to, as a guy who will be mean, skate well and defend. The last couple of years he has dealt with knee injuries and that has helped set him back a bit, considering he relies so much on his skating, which is top notch.

From what reports say, he looked much better in the second half of Lake Erie's season this year after finally getting healthy. Avs director of player development Craig Billington had some really nice things to say about him on a recorded interview a couple of months back, that the club is pleased with how his game is going.

Realistically, he would need an unreal camp to make the team this year but could have a chance to play spot duty throughout, depending on his play and Avs injuries.

The goal is likely for him to have a solid full AHL season this year, show some growth in his game and confidence, then replace Hejda for 2015-16 as a bottom pairing guy.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
When we drafted him, I was so pumped, not so much anymore.

Stuff like this bugs me. Give the kid a break. He's dealt with a lot of crap the last few years and is doing his best to develop into a professional hockey player. People making comments like this don't help anything, they only make it worse.

If he develops into the player the Avs hope he can, he has the chance to be a 12 or 15 year pro that contributes to a winning team and plays the hardest minutes of any player.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Everyone needs to keep in mind he is still 20 years old. He hasn't turned 21 and won't until September. He had a knee injury that kept him out about 2 months last year but when he came back I was happy with his game, he noticeably made Lake Erie's defense better when he was playing. As a shutdown type of D he needs time. I'm not writing him off as a prospect at all. If he has a good year maybe he can see time as a call up. I think he definitely is a candidate to take Hejda's spot. I know when people see Trouba and Maatta in the NHL it makes everyone question why Siemens can't do that.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
Stuff like this bugs me. Give the kid a break. He's dealt with a lot of crap the last few years and is doing his best to develop into a professional hockey player. People making comments like this don't help anything, they only make it worse.

If he develops into the player the Avs hope he can, he has the chance to be a 12 or 15 year pro that contributes to a winning team and plays the hardest minutes of any player.

Like a comment on a forum on the internet is slowing his development? :naughty:

But seriously, he is a big body D man that was drafted very raw and he will probably need 2-3 more years to see if he is anything more than an NHL/AHL tweener.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Can anyone really project where this kid will be in a few years? He was injured for most of this season. For all we know he could find his offensive touch again.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
can see him getting called up about 20 games in because of an injury and taking the opportunity and running with it. defensive d-men usually take longer

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I really think he will replace Hejda on the roster and that has been the target since the end of last year.

I don't think even if he has a good camp he'll make the roster. Sakic and Roy will send him back down to play lots of minutes in LE.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
seinfeld_jerry_240x260_052820041524.jpg

Give him some more time. Given what defensemen the Avs have signed in the AHL right now, looks like he's going to get a lot of playing time next year. I wouldn't be surprised if he was packaged for a top 4 defenseman though.

Avs For Life

#92 #9 #29
Jul 4, 2012
Denver, CO
He is the NASTY we need on the back end. He wont be as good as Foote IMO but he has the same demeanor. He punishes guys and we need someone who can do that.

I still think he will be a very good player. He would be a great partner for Barrie or Elliott (duh)

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
Can anyone really project where this kid will be in a few years? He was injured for most of this season. For all we know he could find his offensive touch again.

2nd pairing shutdown guy. Could make a good partner for Barrie long term. And unlike a lot of shutdown guys, he can keep up with Barrie.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
He's obviously developing a lot slower than Dougie Hamilton and Jonis Brodin, but the jury's still out.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
No reason to fret about Siemens development. He'll hopefully get a callup or two this year, and we'll see how he looks.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
He's still young, got injured and all that stuff....but the fact is neither him nor Elliott is living up to the expectations so far.

His ceiling is much lower now than it was the day he was drafted.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Like a comment on a forum on the internet is slowing his development? :naughty:

But seriously, he is a big body D man that was drafted very raw and he will probably need 2-3 more years to see if he is anything more than an NHL/AHL tweener.

No, but it just doesn't help the perception of the kid when he hasn't had the ability to stay healthy fully the last 2 years.

As for the 2-3 years thing, yes, you are probably right. One more year in the AHL, then another couple to see if he can adjust to playing in the NHL.

To be fair, he never really had an offensive touch. His passing can be very hit and miss and his shot is a noted weakness. His draft year saw him pile up points because he was paired with an elite puck mover on a powerhouse offensive team.

He wasn't drafted to be even a 25 point blueliner at the NHL level.

He's obviously developing a lot slower than Dougie Hamilton and Jonis Brodin, but the jury's still out.

Both of whom were drafted ahead of him, obviously for good reason.

He's still young, got injured and all that stuff....but the fact is neither him nor Elliott is living up to the expectations so far.

His ceiling is much lower now than it was the day he was drafted.

No, I don't think it is. People who saw him play a lot in his 16 and 17 year old seasons knew he wasn't a high end two-way guy. He was drafted because he's mean and can skate like the wind. He's still both of those things.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
What do you mean what is the deal with him? He is developing in the AHL.
He was not drafted to be a quick to the NHL offensive juggernaut.
He is a stay at home guy with some shut down potential. More than likely he will be up near the middle of the season.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Him and Elliott are busts.

I hope you just want to be proven wrong. He was one of the youngest players in his draft, and on top of that is a defensive defender. Give him some time, because he does have a unique game and skill set that we need.

It's sad seeing people write him off... What if a guy does not put up 40 points within three years of his draft hes a bust? Give me a break...

Same with Elliott...

Hans Landaskog

Feb 27, 2012
Denver
What do you mean what is the deal with him? He is developing in the AHL.
He was not drafted to be a quick to the NHL offensive juggernaut.
He is a stay at home guy with some shut down potential. More than likely he will be up near the middle of the season.

I should have phrased differently, I was never knocking Siemens, just feel like I forget he exists. Only time he gets brought up it seems is as a throw-in for a trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad