What's our shutdown line?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I have Kerfoot with Nylander and Tavares right now. I don't feel like Kerfoot will be a center to start off. I do think Bunting will start off on the 4th line with Spezza and likely Simmonds or maybe Brooks.

Bunting is the first player I see being promoted early on.

To be honest, it's hard to know where players will go. I still think there's a trade or two to happen as well.

Looking at your lines, then, using say 2yr Even Strength scoring paces:

Ritchie 28 --- Matthews 73 --- Marner 69
Kerfoot 31 ---- Tavares 53 --- Nylander 50
Mikheyev 34 --- Kampf 18 --- Kase 30
Bunting 39 --- Engvall 25 ---- Spezza 32
(Simmonds 17)

Reactions: SprDaVE

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Looking at your lines, then, using say 2yr Even Strength scoring paces:

Ritchie 28 --- Matthews 73 --- Marner 69
Kerfoot 31 ---- Tavares 53 --- Nylander 50
Mikheyev 34 --- Kampf 18 --- Kase 30
Bunting 39 --- Engvall 25 ---- Spezza 32
(Simmonds 17)

I do think the lines will look like that early in the season. Just a gut feeling.

I think the context for Bunting and his scoring pace is a little optimistic over a season... I think we can both agree.

With that said, if he does keep up with his that kind of pace, he will shoot up the depth chart in no time. I'm just keeping my expectations a little lower. We've seen that kind of deployment early in the season with a few players over the last few years.

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
If all the IFs pan out over the course of the season you could go three deep with scoring lines (lot of IFs though)…

Bunting Matthews Marner
Ritchie Tavares Kase
Mikheyev Kerfoot Nylander
Spezza Kampf Simmonds

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Kampf and Mikheyev, for sure. Then who's ever the better defender out of Engvall or Kase

Kerfoot-Kampf-Mikheyev would be a really effective line. All 3 good defensively. Both wingers bring elite speed, and Kampf is a sting skater too. None are particularly physical, but they’re all aggressive in puck pursuit. That’s a line that can actually trap opponents in their end. They won’t score consistently, but I think they would create a lot of changes.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
A shutdown 4th line is a perfect strategy to go along with spread out the $11 mil players on their own lines top 9 strategy.

XXXX --- Matthews ------- XXXX
XXXX ---Tavares ----------- XXXX
XXXX -- Nylander --------- Marner
Mikheyev -- Kampf ------XXXX (4th shutdown line)

So when you aren't deploying one of the 3 scoring balance attach lines, your only other option remains a line used in a defensive role to matchup against the opposition as well and protect a lead and kill off penalties.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
A shutdown 4th line is a perfect strategy to go along with spread out the $11 mil players on their own lines top 9 strategy.

XXXX --- Matthews ------- XXXX
XXXX ---Tavares ----------- XXXX
XXXX -- Nylander --------- Marner
Mikheyev -- Kampf ------XXXX (4th shutdown line)

So when you aren't deploying one of the 3 scoring balance attach lines, your only other option remains a line used in a defensive role to matchup against the opposition as well and protect a lead and kill off penalties.

Don't like spreading it too thin. The big-4 should be deployed in duos. Matthews, Marner, Tavares, and Nylander should all be playing 18-20 minutes, so unless we're going to rotate multiple wingers around them, it's really tough to roll 3 different lines that much.

Reactions: Buds17

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Don't like spreading it too thin. The big-4 should be deployed in duos. Matthews, Marner, Tavares, and Nylander should all be playing 18-20 minutes, so unless we're going to rotate multiple wingers around them, it's really tough to roll 3 different lines that much.
Agreed on duos, but I’d actually like to see us give Matthews/Nylander and Tavares/Marner another shot. Matthews and Marner are both line carrying talents, it spreads out the talent a bit while keeping our top 6 deadly, and those duos have been great together in the past. Something like:

Ritchie - Matthews - Nylander
Bunting - Tavares - Marner
Kerfoot - Kampf - Kase
Mikheyev - Spezza - Simmonds

With Evgvall, Robertson, Brooks and Anderson next up in case of injuries.

That 3rd line is strong defensively, while still having some scoring punch, which I prefer to a pure defensive 3rd line. Kase’s health is the biggest question mark there - if we have to quickly replace him with Mikheyev, that’s a significant hit to the offence. Terrible acronym for that line, but otherwise I think it’s worth a shot.

Last edited:

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Kerfoot-Kampf-Mikheyev would be a really effective line. All 3 good defensively. Both wingers bring elite speed, and Kampf is a sting skater too. None are particularly physical, but they’re all aggressive in puck pursuit. That’s a line that can actually trap opponents in their end. They won’t score consistently, but I think they would create a lot of changes.
Exactly this. I think that even with Engvall in Kerfoot's place it could have the potential to be dominant too. Speed to burn, good defencively, and they are 6'2", 6'3", and 6'5". They will clog up a lot of ice with their speed,

Engvall's last chance IMO.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Exactly this. I think that even with Engvall in Kerfoot's place it could have the potential to be dominant too. Speed to burn, good defencively, and they are 6'2", 6'3", and 6'5". They will clog up a lot of ice with their speed,

Engvall's last chance IMO.
I really hope there's some desperation in Engvall's game. He's pretty decent when he actually decides he wants to play.

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
Do you guys think anyone would claim engvall if he was sent to the minors. Not that he's a major lose if we lose him but looks like he’s the odd man out right now.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Y
es sire. Its' gon be something like that there, cause nowadays the shutdown line is one of the first ones. Cause they play-a-lot. In history, we saw some of those 4thline rolling on fools, but not anymore. Nowadays the best shutdown line is the one wich also scesores a lot. Like bergeron lines etc. We have ours in tavares marner and some otha sucka.

Reactions: egd27

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Do you guys think anyone would claim engvall if he was sent to the minors. Not that he's a major lose if we lose him but looks like he’s the odd man out right now.

Yes for sure. Look at the caliber of players who got claimed last season. I don't think they have the system depth to let him go but I expect he could be traded for a positive, if unremarkable return. He took about the same number of FO per game as Kerfoot with a better winning percentage so may even be perceived by some as a C/LW (just not a great one). If he would just finish the odd check people would like him a lot more I think. He makes just enough contact to be credited with a hit yet barely slows anybody down:laugh: I think given the same usage his offence could be better than Kerfoot's but that isn't saying much.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Agreed on duos, but I’d actually like to see us give Matthews/Nylander and Tavares/Marner another shot. Matthews and Marner are both line carrying talents, it spreads out the talent a bit while keeping our top 6 deadly, and those duos have been great together in the past. Something like:

Ritchie - Matthews - Nylander
Kerfoot - Kampf - Kase
Mikheyev - Spezza - Simmonds

With Evgvall, Robertson, Brooks and Anderson next up in case of injuries.

That 3rd line is strong defensively, while still having some scoring punch, which I prefer to a pure defensive 3rd line. Kase’s health is the biggest question mark there - if we have to quickly replace him with Mikheyev, that’s a significant hit to the offence. Terrible acronym for that line, but otherwise I think it’s worth a shot.

I would definitely swap Ritchie to play with Marner, but that lineup looks quite strong.

Kase has one season that’s better offensively than Mikheyev, so I’m not sure he’s actually better. No harm giving him a chance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad