OT: UEFA EURO 2020 (2021)

Who wins EURO 2020 (2021)?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Maybe the balls are much different from when I played. Balls that sailed over the net, ones shot with any velocity, used to be a common problem. I know they've been working on ball composition for decades trying to design balls that will stay in play with more ease. The biggest problem with any long range shot, any free kick within range, any kick from around the box, is stopping the ball from sailing. I won't agree with you at all on this and I've played at a decent level. not recently. But missing the net on a penalty kick is always laughed at. Its like double faulting on service in Tennis. Don't do it, don't beat yourself. If I didn't get a penalty kick on target in any game I'd never be taking another.

When I was playing the balls they had then if you hit sweetspot on the ball, dead Center, it would sail if you kicked it hard. So that you had to hit it a bit over center just to keep it down, but which would often make it skirt off the pitch. (sometimes good)

Maybe culture is different in different places. In German soccer as well it wouldn't be looked at well missing a penalty kick. Its laughingstock stuff. Rashford did it all to himself. Trying to be coy, trying to delay the shot, changing from taking the shot to running sideways to the shot (wtf was that about?) At the end all his fakery faked himself out, that was the funniest thing. The goalie just watching all that like hit the f***ing ball already. I hate stunting and loved that he missed.

The balls have probably changed, probably techniques have changed as well, etc. My son can kick the ball harder than some of the adults that play pick-up games and he rarely sails stationary shots over the frame unless he miscalculates a chip from distance as those have to get some loft under them for longer range shots. Striking the ball in the middle tends to lead to a nice line drive type of a ball as long as you're not leaning back as you shoot. Striking towards the top typically keeps it on the ground, and striking on the bottom of the ball sails as long as it is hit with any kind of pace. I agree that it is very poor to miss the goal and told my wife immediately that that poor guy is dying inside after hitting the post. That said, sailing it over on a pk is also brutal. The ball isn't traveling as far as a FK, so even if you get a little under it, it likely still ends up on goal.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
As a former goalkeeper I love that Jorghino was kind enough not to score.
Glory to the keeper, Donnarumma is awesome!

To be completely honest I was not that worried going into penalties. I told my wife that Donnarumma would probably save a couple of them, and even though I had to pause a sec after England scored their first two I think once Rashford missed his shot it was essentially over. Rashford, standing in a way as if he was about to go straight in towards the shot, that would indicate he is about to shoot left side, then he swinging out, coming from a much sharper angle, indicating he is about to shoot right. Then he planted his foot close to the ball, again seeming to go for the left side, but angles his foot and body so that it looks he is going right again... Totally messed up, but I think it was done out of respect for the keeper. He knows that Donnarumma has a 50/50 chance of taking it if he goes "safe" and just places on one side so he over-commits in the effort to fake and misses.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
I think people need to reflect on how much of the overt "racism" is really the typical Chinese operatives at work for hire on Social media trying to make other countries look bad so that they can have their propaganda papers talk about how racist other places are.

OK, how much is it, exactly?

The idea that we've so thoroughly defeated racism that the only explanation for racist abuse is foreign governments stirring the pot is absurd on its face.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
OK, how much is it, exactly?

The idea that we've so thoroughly defeated racism that the only explanation for racist abuse is foreign governments stirring the pot is absurd on its face.
If I had stated its the only explanation. Which I did not. But some of the online trolling and worst instances are at times operative based, and we know this goes on through false accounts on western world platforms. In anycase nothing good comes from furthering the conversation on "England disgrace" in what is basically some hooligans and worst elements showing their hands. Which can happen anywhere.

Reactions: oilers'72

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Something tells me this would have happened even if they won. The hooligans are there to fight, win, lose or draw.
This. Its a disenfranchised hateful dynamic that people seem not to understand exists. In England and other places the dynamic is long standing. People angry at the world looking for basically any excuse to loathe others and go in attack mode. No easy answers.

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
Separating from the repercussions and terrible outcomes that were inevitable from this game.

I think I might be cursed. In my lifetime:

- 1 SCF Oilers loss
- Blue Jays terrible for most of my life, 2 playoff appearances.
- Oilers awful for 15+ years.
- England is garbo
- Man U on the decline.

Idk man, maybe I should stop watching sports.

Become a Raps fan.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
As a former goalkeeper I love that Jorghino was kind enough not to score.
Glory to the keeper, Donnarumma is awesome!

To be completely honest I was not that worried going into penalties. I told my wife that Donnarumma would probably save a couple of them, and even though I had to pause a sec after England scored their first two I think once Rashford missed his shot it was essentially over. Rashford, standing in a way as if he was about to go straight in towards the shot, that would indicate he is about to shoot left side, then he swinging out, coming from a much sharper angle, indicating he is about to shoot right. Then he planted his foot close to the ball, again seeming to go for the left side, but angles his foot and body so that it looks he is going right again... Totally messed up, but I think it was done out of respect for the keeper. He knows that Donnarumma has a 50/50 chance of taking it if he goes "safe" and just places on one side so he over-commits in the effort to fake and misses.

Donnarumma is a beast. There was talk that Juve was interested in him but many were saying that he was too costly, not a big upgrade on Szchezny, etc. Man were they wrong.

Reactions: LaGu and Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
A couple other things. Been to the UK a couple times, big soccer fan, had opportunities to go to a couple games but did some research and lets just say bedlam was on the menu in some of these places and matches so we avoided the Stadiums like the plague. So that I didn't get knocked in the face by some random punching everybody he sees. Never got a brick thrown at my head either. I mean its common sense to avoid these areas before and after a game in many UK cities. (a lot of other places too)

But this is London, England, and England had just lost. The scale of this would be a dozen times or a 100X more mayhem than generally expected. In present day to people just think they can attend anything anywhere and everything will be just fine? Seems like people are less aware, or even care about established dangers.

Theres no flipping way for instance I would go to an England vs Germany game in Wembley. No bloody way. Some things are just guaranteed to be trouble. Its almost fortunate England won that game. Would've been real ugly if Germany won. That said very few German supporters were in attendance. perhaps wisely they declined.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Donnarumma is a beast. There was talk that Juve was interested in him but many were saying that he was too costly, not a big upgrade on Szchezny, etc. Man were they wrong.

He's going to be it for a few more Euros and WC's. Italy have sure had some brilliant goaltenders and now this one. Size, athletic, man mountain, makes reasonable decisions even this young, and will only get better with experience. This Italy club, with this management, probably going to do well for awhile. Very impressed with Donnarumma. What a great name as well. haha

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
A couple other things. Been to the UK a couple times, big soccer fan, had opportunities to go to a couple games but did some research and lets just say bedlam was on the menu in some of these places and matches so we avoided the Stadiums like the plague. So that I didn't get knocked in the face by some random punching everybody he sees. Never got a brick thrown at my head either. I mean its common sense to avoid these areas before and after a game in many UK cities. (a lot of other places too)

But this is London, England, and England had just lost. The scale of this would be a dozen times or a 100X more mayhem than generally expected. In present day to people just think they can attend anything anywhere and everything will be just fine? Seems like people are less aware, or even care about established dangers.

Theres no flipping way for instance I would go to an England vs Germany game in Wembley. No bloody way. Some things are just guaranteed to be trouble. Its almost fortunate England won that game. Would've been real ugly if Germany won. That said very few German supporters were in attendance. perhaps wisely they declined.
Also depends a lot on where you sit/stand. Last time I bought tickets for the “curva”, i.e. supporter section was 20+ years ago, league final in Swe and my team was beating the other badly. Riots broke out and we got caught between rioters and riot police… No one would let you out, but luckily we managed to stick together and keep most others away. I still go to football, but always to neutral sections, sitting down.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I thought they bought him tbh! Was surprised when I heard yesterday in air that he was going to Paris. I wanted him to stay in Milan of course!!

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Things I'd rather do than that:

- Walk across a 3 mile field of broken glass
- Walk across hot coals
- Vote for Jason Kenney
- 600+ other horrible things
- Cheer for the Leafs

In that order.

Adding:

- Holland trading for Keith
- Chairelli trading away Hall

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
I just watched "The Final - Attack on Wembley" I hope some people see themselves in that film.. I really hope Sako, Rashford and Sancho get an opportunity to leave the tourney with a smile.

What an awful film.. Not in it's construction, but in the abhorrent behavior of the idiots that went ticketless to the ground and made the situation life and death..

Then to the thousands more that abused the players noted above. I found myself wanting to be there, just to take as many pounds of flesh as possible from the idiots that made it all about them.

and congrats to the Oilers.. carrying Canada's hopes now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad