What's our shutdown line?

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
I think we can say for now our top 6 is some version of: Matthews Marner Nylander Tavares Ritchie and Bunting.

Id like to see a 4th line shutdown: Mikheyev Kampf Anderson

I think Anderson can learn alot and can develop on the defensive side from these two.

Kerfoot Spezza Kase/Simmonds should be able to dominate most bottom 6 lines.

Whats your version of our shutdown line?

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Kerfoot - Kampf - Mik
Kerfoot can take draws if Kampf gets heaved, and is solid at both ends.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Nicolas "Robo" Robertson

Semyon "The Machine" Der-Arguchintsev

Ilya "The Human Fly" Mikheyev

Last edited:

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I think we can say for now our top 6 is some version of: Matthews Marner Nylander Tavares Ritchie and Bunting.

Id like to see a 4th line shutdown: Mikheyev Kampf Anderson

I think Anderson can learn alot and can develop on the defensive side from these two.

Kerfoot Spezza Kase/Simmonds should be able to dominate most bottom 6 lines.

Whats your version of our shutdown line?

I think it will be Kerfoot on wing, Kampf at center and Mikheyev on the other wing.

Reactions: Erndog

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Kadri was our shutdown line. Now we have none. Not judging, Kadri had to go not it's true.
He was only on the defacto shutdown line because he had either Komarov or Connor Brown stapled to him. He's exceedingly mediocre as a shutdown player and needed a forward with real D chops to make him look better.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Right now this is what my lines are:

Bunting-Matthews-Marner
Nylander-Tavares-Kase
Ritchie-Kerfoot-Mikheyev
Engvall-Kampf-Spezza

None are exactly 'shutdown' as it's kind of a silly concept when you don't need shutdown lines, but each line is very good defensively with at least 2 decent play drivers on each line.

Still have no idea why we signed Simmonds. Guy isn't even the 13th best forward on this team.

Reactions: bossram

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Right now this is what my lines are:

Bunting-Matthews-Marner
Nylander-Tavares-Kase
Ritchie-Kerfoot-Mikheyev
Engvall-Kampf-Spezza

None are exactly 'shutdown' as it's kind of a silly concept when you don't need shutdown lines, but each line is very good defensively with at least 2 decent play drivers on each line.

Still have no idea why we signed Simmonds. Guy isn't even the 13th best forward on this team.
I doubt Kase will be healthy enough to play (hope otherwise), and Simmonds signed on a 2 year deal will be in the lineup

Reactions: Budz

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Yup but does he beat out Bunting and Ritchie for a top 2 LW job?
I was thinking something like this:

Ritchie Matthews Marner (20 min)
Bunting Tavares Nylander (20 min)
Kerfoot Spezza Kase/Simmonds (10 min)
Mikheyev Kampf Anderson (10 min)

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

I think it is going to be a bit of a dogs breakfast for the first few months till we can determine who the Boyd's and Vesey's are.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Matthews, Marner and fill in to be named later…………oh wait a minute did you mean to shut down the other team.
Sorry I got nothing

Reactions: Madap

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I think it is going to be a bit of a dogs breakfast for the first few months till we can determine who the Boyd's and Vesey's are.

I'm like 99% sure it's Simmonds. Hope we don't need to see him in the top-6 to figure that out.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA

In what situations would you employ what you envision as a "shutdown" line?

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Not much point discussing a shutdown line when the coach doesn’t believe in line matching.
Just sayin

Well exactly.

Couple that with the "classic" shutdown line goes up against the other teams best offensive weapons. There is no way in hell the Keefe is going to use his third or forth lines for 20+ minutes a game against McDavid-Drai or the Bergeron line. (for example)

That's why I believe the Tavares line will be the closest thing we use to go up against the opposition's best.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Well exactly.

Couple that with the "classic" shutdown line goes up against the other teams best offensive weapons. There is no way in hell the Keefe is going to use his third or forth lines for 20+ minutes a game against McDavid-Drai or the Bergeron line. (for example)

That's why I believe the Tavares line will be the closest thing we use to go up against the opposition's best.

That's an incredibly limited view about how a shutdown line is used. A 10 minute a night 4th line can still be a shutdown line and provide big value even if they're not going over the boards every time star X steps on the ice in a hard matchup.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
That's an incredibly limited view about how a shutdown line is used. A 10 minute a night 4th line can still be a shutdown line and provide big value even if they're not going over the boards every time star X steps on the ice in a hard matchup.

Which is why I initially asked the OP in what situations would they employ what they envision as a "shutdown" line?

To me, the "classic" version is how Danault was deployed against us in the playoffs. I don't see Keefe using anyone in that fashion.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I'm like 99% sure it's Simmonds. Hope we don't need to see him in the top-6 to figure that out.
yeah, I really don't know what Dubas saw in his play last year that convinced him the team needed another two years of that. He's not good enough to be on the team except as a fill in for injuries

Reactions: Morgs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad