What's next for the Flames

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
I am not sure how we weren't in on Reinhart at that price. He would've given our top 6 flexibility.

Because Buffalo wanted a '22 first rounder and there is maybe 3 players in the league I move that pick for, McDavid, MacKinnon, and?

No way I trade our next two first rounders with the talent in those drafts and the awfulness of our team.

Everyone should just brace now when we sign Blake Coleman to a garbage ass contract just like Edmonton will do with Hyman in Edmonton. $4.75mil x 5 years is my guess and we'll regret it immediately. I would gladly sign Coleman, for $3 mil x 3 years max. The guy is a 3rd liner who thrived because of his position he was put in, that will be very different in Calgary.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
This team has been so predictably bunk the past couple years. Honestly thinking of taking the Kraken on as a 1b team to add some excitement to hockey for me, perpetual mediocrity has worn on me :laugh:

Just do something other than sign a middle 6 vet with size to a gross contract. Please.

Last edited:

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Announce Monahan is all fixed
Johnny and Monahan are refreshed and feel they are ready again
Johnny’s contract is under control and he loves it here
Almost got Eichel but didn’t want to give up Zary so he went to Vegas
Near top of the standings in October

you can fill the rest of the story from here but it ends with a pick either just outside of the lottery or at the bottom of it

Reactions: tmurfin

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
First order of business to extend Johnny and Tkachuk to identical 8 x 8 contracts.

Second order of business is to name one of them as Captain

Third order of business is to extend Mangiapane 5 x 8

Fourth order of business is to sign UFA RW/C Brandon Sutter 3.5 X 3

Fifth order of business bridge Valmaki, Dube

Sixth order of business qualify Kylington, Mackey

Seventh, trade Monahan, Kylington, and a 2022 3rd to Ottawa for C Nick Paul and RW Connor Brown.

Gaudreau/Lindholm/Tkachuk
Mangiapane/Backlund/Brown
Dube/Paul/Sutter
Lucic/Ruzicka/Pitlick

Ritchie

Hanifin/Tanev
Suter/Andersson
Valimaki/Stone

Mackey

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Or...

The Flames could opt to break in the kids ready to make the jump in this flat cap era. Gawdin, Ruzicka, Phillips and give more responsibility to Valimaki, Kylington, and Mackey.

Mangiapane/Monahan/Phillips
Dube/Backlund/Pitlick
Lucic/Gawdin/Ritchie

Ruzicka

Hanifin/Tanev
Valimaki/Andersson
Mackey/Kylington

Stone

And if the kids aren't ready, signing Leivo for another go allows for increased flexibility at the LW/RW positions.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
First order of business to extend Johnny and Tkachuk to identical 8 x 8 contracts.

Second order of business is to name one of them as Captain

Third order of business is to extend Mangiapane 5 x 8

Fourth order of business is to sign UFA RW/C Brandon Sutter 3.5 X 3

Fifth order of business bridge Valmaki, Dube

Sixth order of business qualify Kylington, Mackey

Seventh, trade Monahan, Kylington, and a 2022 3rd to Ottawa for C Nick Paul and RW Connor Brown.

Mangiapane/Backlund/Brown
Dube/Paul/Sutter
Lucic/Ruzicka/Pitlick

Ritchie

Hanifin/Tanev
Suter/Andersson
Valimaki/Stone

Mackey

Is Mangi making 8 per or 5? Also the Monahan deal is not one I would make. We are better off to hope he increases his value.

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
I'm guessing thats 8 years since he put money first in Sutter's deal.

I wouldnt be handing out 8 year deals to Eat bread, role players like him need to be kept hungry and on their toes, ideally replaced with cheaper players coming through the pipeline.

Speaking of Brandon Sutter, yikes.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Is Mangi making 8 per or 5? Also the Monahan deal is not one I would make. We are better off to hope he increases his value.
Mangi 5M x 8.

The Monny deal wouldn't replace scoring, but would shore up two areas. A right shot winger with some skill and a bottom six centre with size. Paul might even top out as a 2C.

Size is the watch word for the Flames these days. Brown, while not big, is another Mangiapane style player whose success comes from a blend of talent and hard work.

scoringmachine

Jan 17, 2007
We all have wish list for Brad on how to fix this team, however realistically Brad will probably give us this current team with players most teams do not want and overpay for them.

What they should do

1. sign Gaudreau 8 years @ 8 millions per year
2. sign Tkachuk 8 year 2 8 million per year
3. Keep Sean Mohanan
4. Trade Lucic (more cap space room and any player we get trade for picks)
5. Look for a Dman (would like Dougie Hamilton 5 @ 5 miilion per years)
6. Sign Goalie Ullmark 2 years @ 2 million per year
7. Depending on cap space go after Jack Eichel (willing to give 2022 first rounder, one prospect and 2022 4th rounder and conditional 3rd in 2023 the 3rd if we make the 3rd round in the playoff plus Sabres has to take back Eichel some salary )

The reason for keeping Sean Mohanan is there isn't anyone right now on the market to replace his production. Hamilton to replace some production that we lost with Gio. I know it is too much for Eichel but we gave away so much for Hamonic so we can do it for him. Moving Lucic gives us cap flexibility to sign Hamilton, Ullmark and others.

scoringmachine

Jan 17, 2007
Now that Colorado has locked up its captain should Gaudreau and Tkachuk be offered the same or similar contract. 8 years total $56 AAV 7million.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Couldn't agree more. We need a reliable minute muncher on that bottom pair.
The only reliable about Murray is that he will be on IR every year

I’d sign him but not for any significant money or term

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
There have been some rumors that the Flames could somehow be in for Eichel. Anyone think this is even remotely possible? And ummm if so, or even if not, any chance Flames would want to trade Lindholm to the Rangers? lol........ just taking the temperature of the room.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
There have been some rumors that the Flames could somehow be in for Eichel. Anyone think this is even remotely possible?
Very much so yes.

The Pegulas want Eichel in the west. The Flames are in the west.

They want the equivalent of four first rounders. The Flames meet the criteria.

It's clearly meant to be.
And ummm if so, or even if not, any chance Flames would want to trade Lindholm to the Rangers? lol........ just taking the temperature of the room.
No

If the Flames did acquire Eichel, they'd keep Lindholm for the exact same reason the Rangers would want him -- to have a solid 1-2 punch down the middle. If they don't get Eichel, then they're still not trading their number one center.

Reactions: brakeyawself

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
Very much so yes.

The Pegulas want Eichel in the west. The Flames are in the west.

They want the equivalent of four first rounders. The Flames meet the criteria.

It's clearly meant to be.

No

If the Flames did acquire Eichel, they'd keep Lindholm for the exact same reason the Rangers would want him -- to have a solid 1-2 punch down the middle. If they don't get Eichel, then they're still not trading their number one center.

Figured as much. I could definitely see Eichel finding new life in Calgary. Don't want him on the Rangers personally.

I wouldn't be quite as interested in Monahan for the Rangers, but he wouldn't be the worst option either. With 2 years left on his contract, do you think they'd move him at some discounted price? Assuming the assets the Rangers are willing to move would be: Ryan Strome (1 year left on his contract, viable RW and top 9 C), Georgiev (even though Flames have acquired their goalies I guess), Jones, Robertson, Barron, Miller and various 1st, 2nd round draft picks. At least, I don't think the Rangers are willing to move most of our higher level prospects like Chytil, Kakko, Kravtsov, Schneider, Othmann, Lundqvist etc...

We obviously need a center. I think they are actually looking at Dvorak now. But if Flames were to move Monahan, I think they'd at least have a look. Strome's contract comes off the books after upcoming season. So he wouldn't be the worst to have for a year and then can decide if they want to extend or not. And he'd probably fit in nicely on a line with either Eichel or Lindholm, or even just to replace Monahan temporarily if Flames don't end up with Eichel. Say Strome + a 1st or Robertson or Jones or something in that realm.

Last edited:

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Figured as much. I wouldn't be quite as interested in Monahan for the Rangers, but he wouldn't be the worst option either. With 2 years left on his contract, do you think they'd move him at some discounted price? Assuming the assets the Rangers are willing to move would be: Strome (1 year left on his contract, viable RW and top 9 C), Georgiev (even though Flames have acquired their goalies I guess), Jones, Robertson, Barron, Miller and various 1st, 2nd round draft picks. At least, I don't think the Rangers are willing to move most of our higher level prospects like Chytil, Kakko, Kravtsov, Lundqvist etc...

We obviously need a center. I think they are actually looking at Dvorak now. But if Flames were to move Monahan, I think they'd at least have a look. Strome's contract comes off the books next season. So he wouldn't be the worst to have for a year and then can decide if they want to extend or not. And he'd probably fit in nicely on a line with either Eichel or Lindholm, or even just to replace Monahan temporarily if Flames don't end up with Eichel.

Dunno about discount but Monahan's definitely available. There's some hope/fantasies that the Flames would move him for futures, like say a 1st and a mid level prospect, then package that with a bunch of more futures to get Eichel.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
There have been some rumors that the Flames could somehow be in for Eichel. Anyone think this is even remotely possible? And ummm if so, or even if not, any chance Flames would want to trade Lindholm to the Rangers? lol........ just taking the temperature of the room.

The Flames, in my opinion should move Monahan for whatever futures they can to get his cap off the books to make room for Eichel and use those assets to acquire him.

Lindholm won’t be moved.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Sound like nothing next

Treliving is going to roll the dice with the same core minus the captain one more time

Think about it, the team got lucky with Johnny, 3 high lottery picks, a Norris level dman and here we are after 7 yrs

Most people would be lucky to keep a job with such performance

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Why is everyone so enamored by Eichel? He scored two goals last year and has injury issues. I'd rather not gut the team for a question mark.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad