What's next for the Flames

scoringmachine

Jan 17, 2007
As of this writing the draft is nearing the end of the 6 round. and we have not made and trades to help improve our team and I do not think Treliving will make any big splash on July 28th to help improve our team. If Oilers get Hyman they are doing better then the Flames. Please we need to make some major changes to the team to be more competitive.

What I would like to see.

1. See the market for Sean Monahan and if a good return (since he is top 6 we should look at a top 6 coming back or a top prospect with high upside) take it

2. Get ride of Looch with out retaining anything try the Kraken to take him. Basically what Chicago did with Duncan Keith

3. With the cap space find a few FA to come to Calgary like bring back Dougie Hamilton for D, if St. Louis s willing to retain salary on Tarasenko get him only if we move looch.

4. Sign Johnny to a long term contract.

5. Find a backup willing to take 2 million or less as Sutter will play Marky hard.

Not happy with this years draft hopefully more than our top pick pans out.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Live action shot of Treliving:
tenor.gif

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Acquire Jack Eichel
Acquire Liljegen
Sign Coronato (after his college season)
Re-sign Stone
Promote Kylington
Sign Ulmark/Rittich/Brossoit

Gaudreau - Eichel - Mangiapane
Tkachuk - Lindholm - Phillips/Coronato
Dube - Backlund - Pitlick/???
Lucic - Ruzicka - Phillips/Pitlick

Kylington - Tanev
Hanifin - Andersson
Valimaki - Liljegren
Mackey - Stone

Markstrom
Ulmark

and then blow it all up and tank for Shane Wright before the season starts

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
As of this writing the draft is nearing the end of the 6 round. and we have not made and trades to help improve our team and I do not think Treliving will make any big splash on July 28th to help improve our team. If Oilers get Hyman they are doing better then the Flames. Please we need to make some major changes to the team to be more competitive.

What I would like to see.

1. See the market for Sean Monahan and if a good return (since he is top 6 we should look at a top 6 coming back or a top prospect with high upside) take it

2. Get ride of Looch with out retaining anything try the Kraken to take him. Basically what Chicago did with Duncan Keith

3. With the cap space find a few FA to come to Calgary like bring back Dougie Hamilton for D, if St. Louis s willing to retain salary on Tarasenko get him only if we move looch.

4. Sign Johnny to a long term contract.

5. Find a backup willing to take 2 million or less as Sutter will play Marky hard.

Not happy with this years draft hopefully more than our top pick pans out.
I don't imagine it's a real hot market for Monahan. We might be better off keeping him for a year and seeing how things play out. Let him play 2C and the 3rd most minutes. See if softer matchups help him. I don't see anyone moving on him before Eichel is resolved.

I'd sooner Treliving sit on his hands than make bad trades. Let things come to you. Don't force it.

We need a top 6 RW.
We need a top 4 LD.
We need a PPQB.
We need a backup.

Items 1 and 2 will be expensive in free agency. Items 2 and 3 could potentially be the same player. Wait out the market on item 4.

I wonder if there won't be value in waiting for capped out teams to need to move deals?

Tkachuk is the trade chip this year unless you can't re-sign Johnny. You'll get full value or more for Tkachuk, Mangiapane or Lindholm. You won't for Johnny or Monahan. I don't want to trade Lindholm or Mangiapane though unless we're going full Buffalo.

We have riches at LW and concerns everywhere else. Time to move some.

Need Markstrom to be better and Darryl to work some magic with the flawed roster.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
There’s one single, and I mean single, move this team could do to right the ship. As that’s looking more and more unlikely, it appears Calgary will go the dog shit route of staying with a team that clearly doesn’t work for a third try.

They’re going to sign some overpaid middle 6er, think that that’ll fix the RW hole and try and sneak in as is the motto of this team.

Of all the moves that happened this weekend, if Calgary doesn’t end up with Eichel, Brad Treliving should be fired (another reason, add it to the list). Buchnevuch and Reinhart with both value adds that in reality didn’t cost much.

Team can’t get out of its own way.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
There’s one single, and I mean single, move this team could do to right the ship. As that’s looking more and more unlikely, it appears Calgary will go the dog shit route of staying with a team that clearly doesn’t work for a third try.

They’re going to sign some overpaid middle 6er, think that that’ll fix the RW hole and try and sneak in as is the motto of this team.

Of all the moves that happened this weekend, if Calgary doesn’t end up with Eichel, Brad Treliving should be fired (another reason, add it to the list). Buchnevuch and Reinhart with both value adds that in reality didn’t cost much.

Let's be real we aren't changing the core or we would have by now, I'm just hoping we don't sign any stupid contracts this offseason that hinders us from the deep free agent market next year

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
What should happen

Upgrade Monahan
Sign Johnny
Get a dman for the Pp
Fill out the bottom 6 with legit players
Sign Tkachuk

What will happen

sign DeAngelo
Sign Coleman
Fill out roster with garbage
Johnny walks
Trade Tkachuk for picks

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011

This team would look really good with those two additions to our right side:

Gaudreau - Lindholm - Reinhart
Tkatchuk - Monahan - Buchnevuch
Mangi - Backlund - Dybe
Lucic - Gawdin - Ritchie

Our weakness on the RW would have become a strength overnight. I would have paid a 2022 1st (protected) + Wolf for Reinhart. 2nd + for Buch seems like a no brainer.

Unless there is some crazy trade coming our way that will shake things up, it's hard finding much hope.

Reactions: RasmusAndersson

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I am not sure how we weren't in on Reinhart at that price. He would've given our top 6 flexibility.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I am not sure how we weren't in on Reinhart at that price. He would've given our top 6 flexibility.
I'm guessing we were but probably wanted to move this years pick over next years and Florida is willing to do anything to convince barkov they are moving in the right direction

Reactions: Deen

GAMO1992

#ThankYouIggy
Dec 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
What I'd like to happen:

Acquire Eichel, and trading Monahan to do so.
Acquire another top 6 winger
Sign Martinez 3x3.5(Gio replacement)
sign backup goalie
????
profit

What I expect is going to happen is:

sign and overpay some 'middle 6' winger that's more like a 3rd liner on contenders to try and plug into the top line/2nd
sign a junk dman to a bloated contract that continues to make Kylington unused/prevents Mackey from seeing real time
make a boneheaded trade that sends Monahan away for scraps without replacing his offensive output

Treliving's presser at the end of the off-season: "We were in the mix for a lot of differing parts, costs were too high for what we'd like, we changed the core with Gio and Monahan moving out, we have a good team just needs polish"

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Edit because I'm high and forgot Backlund

I fully expect to see announcements of signing Danault and McCabe, and maybe a tweener for the bottom 3

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
Tkachuk - Backlund - Mangiapane
Dube - Danault - Pitlick
Lucic - Gawdin - Phillips

Hanifin - Tanev
McCabe - Andersson
Valimaki - Stone (haha?)
Kylington & Mackey

Last edited:
Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I fully expect to see announcements of signing Danault and McCabe, and maybe a tweener for the bottom 3

Gaudreau-Lindholm-Tkachuk
Mangiapane - Monahan - Dube
Pelletier - Danault - Pitlick

Hanifin - Tanev
McCabe - Andersson
Valimaki - Stone (haha?)
Kylington & Mackey
I also hate Mikael Backlund

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
I will be mildly surprised if Kylington is given a qualifying offer. I will be exceedingly surprised if he is qualified and agrees to a contract. In each of the last three seasons, Treliving has shown he doesn't trust him. First replaced by Fantenberg. Then Forbert/Gustafsson. And then this past season by Nesterov/Mackey.

Doesn't seem like there's a future for Kylington with Calgary and he'd honestly have to have given up to return here. Better to not be qualified and find a new opportunity with another NHL organization. Or failing that, go back to Europe/KHL, get proper playing time and then try again.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011

I don't think Eichel is the player you and most others think he is. He's not an elite center. He's not great defensively, terrible at faceoffs and his offense isn't other worldly like McDavid to make up for it.

Would you be happy moving Tkachuk, Zary, 2022 and 2023 1sts for him? My guess is that would be the minimum ask.

I do very much agree we should have tried to land Buchnevich. I like that player and the price was good. I'd be open to giving the lottery protected pick for Reinhart too.

I wonder what will happen with the teams doing the big ticket hunting? Will there be opportunities to get talent cheap from non compliant teams?

I also wonder how big a difference finally having a high end coach makes?

Not saying you're wrong other than the Eichel thing, just legit wonder how much difference Dutter can make.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I will be mildly surprised if Kylington is given a qualifying offer. I will be exceedingly surprised if he is qualified and agrees to a contract. In each of the last three seasons, Treliving has shown he doesn't trust him. First replaced by Fantenberg. Then Forbert/Gustafsson. And then this past season by Nesterov/Mackey.

Doesn't seem like there's a future for Kylington with Calgary and he'd honestly have to have given up to return here. Better to not be qualified and find a new opportunity with another NHL organization. Or failing that, go back to Europe/KHL, get proper playing time and then try again.
I agree with you 100%. The organization badly bungled the development of Kylington and Bennett. Especially Kylington. There was a player there. Not sure if that's still the case. They gave Valimaki way more opportunity with way worse mistakes.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Edit because I'm high and forgot Backlund

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
Tkachuk - Backlund - Mangiapane
Dube - Danault - Pitlick

Hanifin - Tanev
McCabe - Andersson
Valimaki - Stone (haha?)
Kylington & Mackey
I wouldn't hate a McCabe signing at the right price.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad