What's next for Portland, St Johns, Binghamton?

Woo Hockey

@WooHockeyNews
Jul 5, 2014
Worcester, MA
woo.hockey
AGAIN, how long did it take Rucker to land the Railers HC franchise, it's been dead quiet, since then, if there's anything it hasn't been reported yet, or there may not be anything to report since 3 months ago....

Yes, I know how long it took Rucker to get the Railers...

It was reported that Portland's commission could decide on one of the proposals after 6-8 weeks from when that article was posted and something could be put on the table for June's league meetings. Just wanted to see if someone more local had heard anything.

:)

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine

It was reported that Portland's commission could decide on one of the proposals after 6-8 weeks from when that article was posted and something could be put on the table for June's league meetings. Just wanted to see if someone more local had heard anything.

you'll know when we do, I'm sure, :)

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com

Unless a government entity gets involved I suspect there will be no news until at least the end of the summer. Based on how long the ECHL wants an ownership group in place before starting play if Spectra wants to play in 18-19 they need to be approved and up and running soon after the start of the 17-18 season.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
St. John's update:

There's a thread over in the Q forum here, that goes further into detail via the Telegram, but basically the gist of it is this:

6 M expansion fee for St. John's, IF they pursue it...

an existing team could be enticed(Acadie-Bathurst, Charlottetown, Gatineau, and Blainville-Boisbriand (which ironically is the former Fog Devils), are potential targets for relocation....

Due to the acquisition by Ottawa and the resulting selection of Belleville AND THE DECISION BY Montreal TO TAKE THE CURRENT TEAM TO Laval, it is likely that Mile One Stadium will not have a tenant in place for 2017/18, and if the Q does return to St. John's it may not happen until 2018/19.

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
There's a thread over in the Q forum here, that goes further into detail via the Telegram, but basically the gist of it is this:

6 M expansion fee for St. John's, IF they pursue it...

an existing team could be enticed(Acadie-Bathurst, Charlottetown, Gatineau, and Blainville-Boisbriand (which ironically is the former Fog Devils), are potential targets for relocation....

Due to the acquisition by Ottawa and the resulting selection of Belleville AND THE DECISION BY Montreal TO TAKE THE CURRENT TEAM TO Laval, it is likely that Mile One Stadium will not have a tenant in place for 2017/18, and if the Q does return to St. John's it may not happen until 2018/19.

Six million fee for the QMJHL????? So the QMJHL costs more for an expansion team than the AHL and ECHL lol??????

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Six million fee for the QMJHL????? So the QMJHL costs more for an expansion team than the AHL and ECHL lol??????

IT'S Courteau, NS, YOU THINK pro hockey is bad on the league level, now you know why the Armada got booted out of St. John's, when the Dobbins lost their financier, they never wanted more than eighteen teams, and that's part of the issue with St. John's in general, when Lewiston dealt with him, it was worse to comical at times with his fascination it seemed with a failing market, let's put them in Montreal, where, of course, if u weren't following the league in general, what does Montreal get you news-wise if it's not the Canadiens you get buried on page 8 or hardly mentioned at all....

:amazed:

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine

Sounds like Portland is in.

I wish he hadn't stated that, tweet or otherwise, nor should the League have been that forthcoming..... NOTHING has been reported here but they act like it's a done deal, and you, of all, should know better than that... it's another 4 or 5 weeks.....

we heard this before with the original group that tried and left after not accomplishing that.... just as we were cautious in seeking if Rucker could do that for the Railers...

Woo Hockey

@WooHockeyNews
Jul 5, 2014
Worcester, MA
woo.hockey
I wish he hadn't stated that, tweet or otherwise, nor should the League have been that forthcoming..... NOTHING has been reported here but they act like it's a done deal, and you, of all, should know better than that... it's another 4 or 5 weeks.....

we heard this before with the original group that tried and left after not accomplishing that.... just as we were cautious in seeking if Rucker could do that for the Railers...

Whether I tweeted it or if Eric had tweeted it word would've gotten out. There was a mention of this in our local news paper too. He wouldn't have said it if he didn't think it was going to happen.

We'll hear more of it after the league meetings next week.

http://www.telegram.com/sports/2017...e-boss-excited-for-debut-of-worcester-railers

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com

It was during a speech that was recorded on video by local news, and then in an after event interview Brian McKenna said it again. It's absolutely going to happen, and it absolutely is Portland.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Can't read the story... it's blanked out.

It's only a few lines (and a Bill Ballou joke), and basically doesn't say more than has been mentioned the last few posts. You can check out the video interview the Railers did with Brian McKenna, which again doesn't really have a ton of hard info other than it being obvious that Portland should be ready to go in 18-19.

https://www.facebook.com/railershc/videos/1843814145940271/

Cacciaguida

Jan 11, 2010
Ottawa
I guess all these leagues don't want to expand if these are the prices they are asking for.

At least the ECHL is reasonable.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
I've sat through whatever 7 years of ECHL. The only thing I ever saw close was when Martinson coached Elmira and they plated reading 90 million times. They'd fight and scrap all the time. Things like that hardly happen anymore.

I'm so relieved to know that no matter what your experiences are, that's how it is in every case.

Now there's no need for anyone to experience anything! You've saved everyone a ton of time!

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
Rivalries these days are a fan illusion. The teams change too much year to year and even in season.

Your not far off with that theory. Anyone unfamiliar with the ECHL of the last five years of so wont realize the volume of turnover and roster poaching. Makes it hard to enjoy the true spirit of a rivalry. Unless the league addresses roster turn over fans of rivalry cities are more familiar with each other lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad