What's next for Portland, St Johns, Binghamton?

ADK34

Feb 1, 2016
Glens Falls, NY
Wondering what happens next for cities like these with their hockey futures. Binghamton losing their team to Belleville. St Johns moving to laval. Portland already moved to Springfield. There have been rumors about the possibility of an ECHL team in Portland and other rumors about Albany or Harford moving to Binghamton. I hope these cities find teams. It hurts to see your hometown team leave your city.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
There's another rumor I saw on /r/hockey that Hartford is moving to Utica, so I would think Albany goes to Binghamton if that happens.

Take that with a grain of salt, but it's not an entirely impossible idea.

ADK34

Feb 1, 2016
Glens Falls, NY
It would definitely make sense for a team like Hartford to move to a place like Albany, Utica, or Binghamton. All those cities would go nuts for a rangers affiliate, and attendance would probably skyrocket

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
It would definitely make sense for a team like Hartford to move to a place like Albany, Utica, or Binghamton. All those cities would go nuts for a rangers affiliate, and attendance would probably skyrocket

For sure. Upstate is big for the Rangers. So anything would be good for them, as long as it's back in NY.

Devils have a sweetheart deal in Albany, no reason for them to move.

True, but stranger things have happened.

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
For sure. Upstate is big for the Rangers. So anything would be good for them, as long as it's back in NY.

True, but stranger things have happened.

Yea I agree, sweetheart deal or not attendance has not been good in Albany. Albany has two DI hockey teams nearby, Union college has established itself as a very good hockey program. All one has to do and look at all the NHL, AHL, and ECHL players who are Union college graduates. Hour to the north you have got the ECHL in Glens Falls.

I agree out of all locations in Upstate NY with the exception of Rochester and Syracuse, a NY Rangers affiliation would have the best impact on Albany. Albany's attendance would improve by at least a 1000 more fans per game easily, maybe more. Albany has room to grow a base, the arena is undergoing a 20 million dollar makeover. The building's in Binghamton and Utica cannot get anymore bigger and not much you can do to improve those two building's either.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Yea I agree, sweetheart deal or not attendance has not been good in Albany.

I stopped there, because the rest is immaterial.

The Devils do not care about attendance. They didn't care about it the last couple season in Albany the first time around, they didn't care about it in Lowell, and they still don't care about it. They want a cheap place to place their prospects with a few hours drive of NJ, and that's what they have.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
I think people are getting franchise confused with affiliation again.

If Hartford "moves" to Utica, where does the Utica franchise go? And what does that have to do with Albany?

ek93

Dec 28, 2014
New York
Everybody in Binghamton seems to think that the Rangers are moving here next year. It's what we've been told since they announced the whole Belleville situation.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Wondering what happens next for cities like these with their hockey futures. Binghamton losing their team to Belleville. St Johns moving to laval. Portland already moved to Springfield. There have been rumors about the possibility of an ECHL team in Portland and other rumors about Albany or Harford moving to Binghamton. I hope these cities find teams. It hurts to see your hometown team leave your city.

nothing yet about Wood/Church securing an expansion and/or existing ECHL franchise to Portland, but they are and have been discussions to that effect w/ the ECHL but nothing to really report substantiated and likely will at various times during ECHL Meetings.

BTV

Oct 12, 2005
Lewiston, Maine
Yea I agree, sweetheart deal or not attendance has not been good in Albany. Albany has two DI hockey teams nearby, Union college has established itself as a very good hockey program. All one has to do and look at all the NHL, AHL, and ECHL players who are Union college graduates. Hour to the north you have got the ECHL in Glens Falls.

Attendance is completely irrelevant. Just this past offseason, the AHL pulled every string it could to slide another team into Springfield - a city with worse attendance than Albany. Springfield is also located nearby D1 teams, other AHL teams, ECHL teams...it doesn't matter. If there is a strong enough reason for a team to be somewhere, it will happen regardless of attendance.

The AHL wants a team in Springfield - done. As mentioned in another post, New Jersey wants a team in a place somewhat nearby where they have a good arena deal. That's what they have. People get hung up on attendance, we would like to think it matters - but it doesn't. Heck, even if it did, we know most of those reported attendance numbers are inflated anyway so we are faking numbers which don't matter to begin with, only to make us feel like it does matter. Life in the AHL...

Last edited:

ADK34

Feb 1, 2016
Glens Falls, NY
nothing yet about Wood/Church securing an expansion and/or existing ECHL franchise to Portland, but they are and have been discussions to that effect w/ the ECHL but nothing to really report substantiated and likely will at various times during ECHL Meetings.

Its possible that Portland buys the dormant Evansville/Owensboro franchise, and moves them to the Cross Insurance Arena in Portland. If this happens id assume they would start playing in 2018-2019

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Its possible that Portland buys the dormant Evansville/Owensboro franchise, and moves them to the Cross Insurance Arena in Portland. If this happens id assume they would start playing in 2018-2019

We're looking at '17/18, not '18/19, and those discussions are up to the ECHL, what is unknown is what does the expansion/existing franchise fee entail for the current ownership, and does Portland have a financial investor outside of those already mentioned as pursuing an option.

there also is the question surrounding Evansville/Owensboro, that Portland has seen played elsewhere while in the AHL, is will that franchise be terminated by the League because of how it's been operated previously, to even be considered.

I don't think the CIA Board of Directors or Trustees from the County want the arena to not have a tenant for multiple seasons, either.

as for existing franchises, the other thing is, which leases are due to be renewed/and/or expiring, and are they happy with that market overall.

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
There is nothing going on with Portland right now..... Both Church and Wood have moved onto other projects. Biggest issue is Portland picked up a bad reputation with the lease dispute, Petrovek and people not responding to team's return to Portland.

There is a Jan 1st deadline to get something done for 17-18.... If nothing happens, maybe 18-19 a team will look at Portland.

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
Pratt, the CIA board liaison, said he spoke with Wood on Wednesday about the group’s progress and deadlines.

“Realistically, it’s not a hard deadline,†Pratt said of any proposal for ECHL hockey for the 2017-18 season, “but we’d need something pretty concrete by mid-December. … As the time gets closer to that deadline, it becomes less and less likely that it will happen for next year.â€

Pratt said arena management continues to schedule events and is exploring other sports options for beyond next winter should the ECHL option fall through. He also said the arena has been approached by other groups with an interest in restoring pro hockey to Portland.

“We’re already filling dates,†he said. “We are actively seeking and booking events. Hopefully we’ll have a nice mix, even for hockey fans.â€

Duo still hopeful they can bring pro hockey to Portland by next season

I'm still skeptical.... They say mid-December is the deadline. I've heard they want to be selling season tickets by Jan. 1st.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
ECHL mandates one full year of selling tickets and sponsorships for expansion teams before they can start playing (and have to reach certain milestones or they can lose their franchise before they even start), so if they're talking mid-December that means it's a purchase and move.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
St. John's is a FANTASTIC AHL city hampered by geography.

However, the interest simply isn't there for junior or lower-tier pro hockey (see: Fog Devils). It's AHL or bust for St. John's.

Looks like bust, sadly.

Cacciaguida

Jan 11, 2010
Ottawa
EH, I've warmed up to the idea of St. Johns ECHL hockey. Would be a better solution than the QMJHL.

I hope all these markets eventually get their teams back.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
EH, I've warmed up to the idea of St. Johns ECHL hockey. Would be a better solution than the QMJHL.

I hope all these markets eventually get their teams back.

That ship has already sailed in St. John's and really, how many Canadian ECHL teams have thrived which is why the AHL always subsidized trips to St. John's besides, where would an owner find a franchise to place in St. John's, the reason TNSE and Montreal have done it on a lease, but the same question applies to a Newfoundland/Labrador franchise that exists in other US Markets that are exploring the ECHL route either as a replacement for a previous franchise as Portland is showing and the related timelines as Worcester showed in their timeline for being awarded the Railers took multiple seasons.

most of those other Atlantic Canadian teams that used to be in the AHL went the QMJHL route, and seemed to have thrived, it's the same logistical reason why US Cities haven't thrived in Canadian Junior leagues in the Eastern US, likely because it involved a Canadian Junior franchise being relocated and being run successfully despite the logistics of being a US franchise in a predominately Canadian league as the Q showed in Lewiston for as long as it did.

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
Portland - this is starting to sound like Cleveland post-NHL Barons failure, where the city had napalmed so many bridges as to be effectively blacklisted. It took a virtual outlaw league (the IHL) to get hockey back here.

St. John's- will only accept the AHL, future entirely dependent on the return of the Nordiques (99% chance of Quebec is expansion, may be lower due to logistics if it's relocation, especially if it's the Panthers, whose affiliate is in Springfield)

Binghamton - only legitimate ECHL prospect of the three, may still remain in AHL (rangers or, less likely, Devils or Isles)

Cacciaguida

Jan 11, 2010
Ottawa
That ship has already sailed in St. John's and really, how many Canadian ECHL teams have thrived which is why the AHL always subsidized trips to St. John's besides, where would an owner find a franchise to place in St. John's, the reason TNSE and Montreal have done it on a lease, but the same question applies to a Newfoundland/Labrador franchise that exists in other US Markets that are exploring the ECHL route either as a replacement for a previous franchise as Portland is showing and the related timelines as Worcester showed in their timeline for being awarded the Railers took multiple seasons.

most of those other Atlantic Canadian teams that used to be in the AHL went the QMJHL route, and seemed to have thrived, it's the same logistical reason why US Cities haven't thrived in Canadian Junior leagues in the Eastern US, likely because it involved a Canadian Junior franchise being relocated and being run successfully despite the logistics of being a US franchise in a predominately Canadian league as the Q showed in Lewiston for as long as it did.

I figured it's remote location would be why it would be more fitting for AA hockey. NHL teams want their AHL franchises closer.

I question if the QMJHL would work.

I figured it would look like
Quebec - Portland - St. John's
NHL - AHL - ECHL

as Portland is also open and much closer. literally across the border.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Doesn't help St. John's, but Vegas should buy the IceCaps branding from them and start an AHL team in Nevada, Reno or somewhere - the Nevada IceCaps.

Nevada means "Snowy Mountains", or "Ice Caps", if you will.

EDIT:
An example mockup I made
f0CrMc8.png

Last edited:

Woo Hockey

@WooHockeyNews
Jul 5, 2014
Worcester, MA
woo.hockey
Doesn't help St. John's, but Vegas should buy the IceCaps branding from them and start an AHL team in Nevada, Reno or somewhere - the Nevada IceCaps.

Nevada means "Snowy Mountains", or "Ice Caps", if you will.

EDIT:
An example mockup I made
f0CrMc8.png

Ehh, I'd rather see something new. There's way too much stuff being brought back or re-used or whatever. There needs to be more originality in Sports teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad