What's next for Portland, St Johns, Binghamton?

Royalsflagrunner77

Jul 26, 2013
Birdsboro PA
I would personaly love to Portland make a comeback . I hate to see cities that support their teams lose their teams to politics. But Its also said when those cities reject the E franchises just becuase the quality of play goes down. Becuase those same people would be on here or some other forum complaining about how the evil people pulled their franchise and how much they miss hockey in their town. My point is embrace the team you have or get you might not get a chance at another one.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
Would anyone see that dormant franchise in Reno becoming the Las Vegas affiliate . There was a article in the Reno news http://mynews4.com/news/local/council-approves-next-step-in-bringing-pro-hockey-to-reno about a E franchise lease being approved.
Hard to say for sure with it being two years away. A lot of changes will certainly happen between now and then. If they are looking for a nearby team to affiliate with the California NHL/AHL teams are as close to Reno as Vegas is. We don't know where Vegas is going to put their AHL team yet, so that may factor into it too. Also, Vegas will only be in their second year of operation for the 18-19 season, and will have had only three drafts at that point, so their prospect pool will still likely be quite thin. Their 2016 draft picks would be just turning pro, so they would still likely not have enough NHL contracts to fill out an AHL roster. The only reason they would be looking for an ECHL team at that point would be to place their 5th and 6th goaltenders so their AHL team has some backup options available.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Local ownership ends pursuit of a franchise for 2017-18 to restart Pirates hockey in ECHL.....

The effort started by Godfrey Wood and Brad Church ended 2 days ago.

the deadline passed set by the ECHL much as Worcester did 2 years ago in being awarded the Railers passed without a solid proposal...

no word yet on Spectra's interest in their effort to accomplish that goal for 2018-19.

paul-laus

Jun 20, 2007
Hard to say for sure with it being two years away. A lot of changes will certainly happen between now and then. If they are looking for a nearby team to affiliate with the California NHL/AHL teams are as close to Reno as Vegas is. We don't know where Vegas is going to put their AHL team yet, so that may factor into it too. Also, Vegas will only be in their second year of operation for the 18-19 season, and will have had only three drafts at that point, so their prospect pool will still likely be quite thin. Their 2016 draft picks would be just turning pro, so they would still likely not have enough NHL contracts to fill out an AHL roster. The only reason they would be looking for an ECHL team at that point would be to place their 5th and 6th goaltenders so their AHL team has some backup options available.

Golden Knights will be drafting for the first time in June they didn't draft last year, hence they will only have had two drafts by the 18-19 season not three....;)

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
Golden Knights will be drafting for the first time in June they didn't draft last year, hence they will only have had two drafts by the 18-19 season not three....;)
I could say I was counting the expansion draft, plus the two entry drafts, for a total of three. Or I could just admit I miscalculated. :)

Royalsflagrunner77

Jul 26, 2013
Birdsboro PA
Just heard a interesting rumor about Binghamton today while i was at the Reading vs Elmira game Seems some elmira fans believe the Jackals are moving to Binghamton next year. not sure how true that is.

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
As with any franchise in any league, the success of a QMJHL team in St John's has everything to do with the ownership, and nothing to do with the city's history in the league.

Although the Fog Devils were not as popular as any AHL franchise has been, their attendance was consistently above 3500, a number that would place them solidly in the Top 5 for attendance this season.

Yes, they would have higher travel costs, but that is a moot point when considering which league they should be in, given that travel costs would be an issue for a St John's franchise whether it was in the ECHL, AHL, or QMJHL. In fact, it's less of an issue for a QMJHL team, given that teams would not have to fly from the US.

The franchise relocation that would make the most sense seems to be Acadie-Bathurst, which is in the Maritimes division, and struggling badly with attendance. It's lost money for many years, and is presently co-owned by a collective of local business and NHLers who are alumnus of the Titan. Those types of ownership arrangements do not last long, as they are driven by nostalgia, the novelty of which wears thin after a few seasons.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
As with any franchise in any league, the success of a QMJHL team in St John's has everything to do with the ownership, and nothing to do with the city's history in the league.

Although the Fog Devils were not as popular as any AHL franchise has been, their attendance was consistently above 3500, a number that would place them solidly in the Top 5 for attendance this season.

Yes, they would have higher travel costs, but that is a moot point when considering which league they should be in, given that travel costs would be an issue for a St John's franchise whether it was in the ECHL, AHL, or QMJHL. In fact, it's less of an issue for a QMJHL team, given that teams would not have to fly from the US.

The franchise relocation that would make the most sense seems to be Acadie-Bathurst, which is in the Maritimes division, and struggling badly with attendance. It's lost money for many years, and is presently co-owned by a collective of local business and NHLers who are alumnus of the Titan. Those types of ownership arrangements do not last long, as they are driven by nostalgia, the novelty of which wears thin after a few seasons.

St. John's failed Miami, due to a multitude of things including self-sustaining financial losses, which is why you're seeing a lot of relocations, in fact, that's one, if not the main reason, Sherbrooke got a second look with an expansion franchise and the Q terminated what had begun as the TR Draveurs (Lewiston), a charter franchise that ended any US Eastern bid for a junior franchise.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Just heard a interesting rumor about Binghamton today while i was at the Reading vs Elmira game Seems some elmira fans believe the Jackals are moving to Binghamton next year. not sure how true that is.

the word is Albany Devils to Binghamton. but the newest rumor is Wichita ECHL team to Albany.

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine

Of the four groups that submitted a proposal, the FHL was the first to be shown the door. Apparently, somebody showed the arena trustees a video (it’s on you tube) of the fight between Danbury and Danville in Lewiston several years ago and that was enough for them to say thanks, but no thanks.

Maine Sports and Entertainment from Florida was also shown the door. I don’t know ever much about them. Couldn’t really find any information on the world wide interwebs. Not sure how serious of a bid it really was.

The two that were accepted Spectra and National Sports Services.

I believe that Spectra is the current inside favorite to get a deal with arena trustees. They already manage the building so there is a lot of consolidation and cost savings that can take place. They have a better ability to price tickets to get people in to the building and run promotions that are attractive. Plus Spectra can shift money on a ledger to minimize losses a lot easier than other entities just based on pure size of the organization. I don’t necessarily believe it means that Reading or the Flyers affiliation for that matter are moving to Portland. I suspect Spectra will likely land a current franchise that’s for sale and relocate it.

I believe that’s the same for the National Sports Services as well. NSS has a long relationship of managing hockey teams and other sports franchises in other markets so I’m not sure how it works out for them as being owners. Apparently, the CEO of NSS Bill Davidson is also the CFO for the Atlanta Gladiators, who happen to be the ECHL affiliate of the Boston Bruins. Again, I wouldn’t read into that too much. I’m not sure how I feel about this group just because there is no local entity. At least with Spectra, while they are not local, the people who work for Spectra are local and known in the community.

I know arena trustees are anxious to get hockey back into arena because it’s not making money and they have a hefty bond payment they need to make for the renovations. There is a belief that if they can get a deal done by June and approved by the ECHL they could enter the league this fall. That’s is something they stressed as a desire to both groups. I don’t see any way that could be done unless they are willing to take a major loss in the first year. That’s just stupid in my opinion. It would be best to announce the deal in June or once its complete and approved by the ECHL and then go into the summer and fall selling tickets and building the brand back. Sell the league as place where local cities and winning championship matter more than pure development. Hire a competent hockey operations staff, maybe with some local ties. I think they really need to look at what Worcester is doing and build the team off that model with the plan of opening night 2018.

kyfry

Feb 23, 2017
If and when Portland does come back do they go with a new name or do they go with the Portland Pirates, or the Maine Mariners (which is honestly my favorite choice)?

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
If and when Portland does come back do they go with a new name or do they go with the Portland Pirates, or the Maine Mariners (which is honestly my favorite choice)?

EVERYTHING is pointing to retaining the same nickname, as the AHL franchise that arrived here in 1993, ky, ACTUALLY THE OTHER franchise name is still an active one (Stockton), EVEN though the franchise itself went to Providence in 1992...

also, the original Pirate logo was the intended logo should an ECHL franchise, arrive, but that's kinda of where we are, waiting to see which prospective group gets the go-ahead from the County trustees, then it's the same MO as what Church and Wood attempted prior/during the 2016 season, from what is being reported as news warrants...

HWP1997

Nov 2, 2016
Of the four groups that submitted a proposal, the FHL was the first to be shown the door. Apparently, somebody showed the arena trustees a video (it’s on you tube) of the fight between Danbury and Danville in Lewiston several years ago and that was enough for them to say thanks, but no thanks.

To go from AHL hockey to FHL hockey would just be a slap in the face for Portland fans.

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
To go from AHL hockey to FHL hockey would just be a slap in the face for Portland fans.
Yeah... I can't imagine the FHL would have drawn anything. It's almost certain an ECHL franchise is coming. It's just who is going to be the owner. I'm leaning toward Spectra because they already manage the building and have a lot synergies in place for selling tickets, sponsorships and advertising.

Woo Hockey

@WooHockeyNews
Jul 5, 2014
Worcester, MA
woo.hockey

Maine Sports and Entertainment from Florida was also shown the door. I don’t know ever much about them. Couldn’t really find any information on the world wide interwebs. Not sure how serious of a bid it really was.

The two that were accepted Spectra and National Sports Services.

I believe that Spectra is the current inside favorite to get a deal with arena trustees. They already manage the building so there is a lot of consolidation and cost savings that can take place. They have a better ability to price tickets to get people in to the building and run promotions that are attractive. Plus Spectra can shift money on a ledger to minimize losses a lot easier than other entities just based on pure size of the organization. I don’t necessarily believe it means that Reading or the Flyers affiliation for that matter are moving to Portland. I suspect Spectra will likely land a current franchise that’s for sale and relocate it.

I believe that’s the same for the National Sports Services as well. NSS has a long relationship of managing hockey teams and other sports franchises in other markets so I’m not sure how it works out for them as being owners. Apparently, the CEO of NSS Bill Davidson is also the CFO for the Atlanta Gladiators, who happen to be the ECHL affiliate of the Boston Bruins. Again, I wouldn’t read into that too much. I’m not sure how I feel about this group just because there is no local entity. At least with Spectra, while they are not local, the people who work for Spectra are local and known in the community.

I know arena trustees are anxious to get hockey back into arena because it’s not making money and they have a hefty bond payment they need to make for the renovations. There is a belief that if they can get a deal done by June and approved by the ECHL they could enter the league this fall. That’s is something they stressed as a desire to both groups. I don’t see any way that could be done unless they are willing to take a major loss in the first year. That’s just stupid in my opinion. It would be best to announce the deal in June or once its complete and approved by the ECHL and then go into the summer and fall selling tickets and building the brand back. Sell the league as place where local cities and winning championship matter more than pure development. Hire a competent hockey operations staff, maybe with some local ties. I think they really need to look at what Worcester is doing and build the team off that model with the plan of opening night 2018.

Bumping this since it's been 12 weeks since this was first reported. Any word on anything?

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Portland ECHL 2018/19:

Bumping this since it's been 12 weeks since this was first reported. Any word on anything?

AGAIN, how long did it take Rucker to land the Railers HC franchise, it's been dead quiet, since then, if there's anything it hasn't been reported yet, or there may not be anything to report since 3 months ago....

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
In french, but it says that St John's will return in the QMJHL at some point.

http://www.rds.ca/hockey/lhjmq/terre-neuve-se-rapproche-de-la-lhjmq-1.4529687

traduction:

The day is probably not far away when the only eastern province of the country absent from the QMJHL chessboard, Newfoundland, will return. For a few weeks now, a group of businessmen led by Glenn Stanford and Tony Kenny have been working to bring back junior hockey to Canada's easternmost island.

Behind the scenes I was told about $ 6 million, unconfirmed, that this group would be ready to file for a 19th concession in the Courteau circuit. The decision-makers of the Quebec circuit have always claimed that there was no question of expansion and that 18 was the maximum number of concessions that would operate in the QMJHL. However, one must ask whether the Courteau circuit could turn its back on such an enticing and substantial offer to add to its frames.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad