Speculation: What's going on with Judd Brackett?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Like I asked in another thread, the only time Directors of Amateur Scouting leave voluntarily is to follow a GM or AGM to another team. More often than not, Directors of Amateur Scouting survive regime changes. I don't think Brackett is going anywhere unless he's leaving the NHL.
Or significantly promoted elsewhere.

$$$$$$$$$_

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Or significantly promoted elsewhere.

$$$$$$$$$_

That never happens though. When was the last time a Director of Amateur Scouting left for another team to be another team's AGM without that GM having worked with him recently? Weisbrod going from Bruins' Director of Collegiate Scouting to Calgary's AGM is an extremely rare occurrence. If Linden gets hired as a President or GM of another team then ya I can see Brackett leaving. Brackett was a part-time scout under Gillis so I can't see him leaving the Canucks for say Gilman's team if Gilman ever gets a chance to be GM.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
he got a job, he hung around with idiots beside him, above him, and eventually below him and bided his time and built up a resume.

pettersson, hughes, boeser, horvat, mccann, demko, gaudette, dipietro, rafferty, madden, hoglander, podkolzin. all above projections, to varying degrees. and because idiots, most people give him the lion’s share of the credit for those successes. and also because idiots, that juolevi and virtanen stink isn’t on him.

makes sense that the time has come to ask either for the moon or not to have to work with idiots anymore. i’m sure there are at worst like five lateral positions he can take tomorrow where he doesn’t answer to idiots, and probably others that are that plus a raise and promotion.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
That never happens though. When was the last time a Director of Amateur Scouting left for another team to be another team's AGM without that GM having worked with him recently? Weisbrod going from Bruins' Director of Collegiate Scouting to Calgary's AGM is an extremely rare occurrence. If Linden gets hired as a President or GM of another team then ya I can see Brackett leaving. Brackett was a part-time scout under Gillis so I can't see him leaving the Canucks for say Gilman's team if Gilman ever gets a chance to be GM.
No idea.
Where did Bracket come from?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
No idea.
Where did Bracket come from?

Massachusetts? Unless the Bruins are hiring, I don't really see how it matters since Bracket isn't required to live in Vancouver and he doesn't as far as I know.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
he got a job, he hung around with idiots beside him, above him, and eventually below him and bided his time and built up a resume.

pettersson, hughes, boeser, horvat, mccann, demko, gaudette, dipietro, rafferty, madden, hoglander, podkolzin. all above projections, to varying degrees. and because idiots, most people give him the lion’s share of the credit for those successes. and also because idiots, that juolevi and virtanen stink isn’t on him.

makes sense that the time has come to ask either for the moon or not to have to work with idiots anymore. i’m sure there are at worst like five lateral positions he can take tomorrow where he doesn’t answer to idiots, and probably others that are that plus a raise and promotion.

Except there are only so many Director of Amateur Scouting positions and Bracket has one of them. It's a cushy job. Do you see Bracket leaving because of money? The Canucks are hardly known as an organization that underpays their executives/scouts/staff.

Reactions: lawrence

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Whatever side of the aisle you land on, losing Judd Brackett should be considered a major blow to the team. Shows people's true colors if they're already bad mouthing him.
It’s more downplaying his importance I guess, but they’ve already assumed a defensive stance. I honestly don’t understand the motivation here, given that the GM owes pretty much all of his successes but Hughes to this guy.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Not surprised that Brackett is starting to be discussed by other teams around the league given his performance as Vancouver's Director of Scouting. In the 2017 and 2018 drafts the Canucks apparently had EP and Hughes ranked very high and well ahead of a lot of other teams. Bracket has identified key statistics and criteria for assessing prospects and our drafting has really improved so he should be getting recognition around the league. While it's always hard to say how much credit is due to him and how much should be spread around, I think it's pretty clear that he has been a big part of that and his promotion to head of scouting would seem to confirm that. Kudos to the Canucks brass for recognizing his obvious talent and moving him up the ranks.

In an ideal world the Canucks would have him training his successor and would be talking to Brackett about future advancement opportunities inside the organization. If it comes down to a matter of money there are few organizations that can outbid the Canucks as Aqulini for all of his faults is willing to spend on the team. Therefore it will likely come down to whether Brackett sees opportunities to move up further in management here or whether he sees a better opportunity elsewhere. Hopefully he sees the opportunity here and stays with the Canucks.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
This threads amazing. Our director of amateur scouting might maybe move. Somewhere between a 1% to 50% chance. After draft preparation is completed (we won’t even have a first). Who cares? He can be replaced just like any other muppet in the organization.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver

What a load of bull crap

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
This threads amazing. Our director of amateur scouting might maybe move. Somewhere between a 1% to 50% chance. After draft preparation is completed (we won’t even have a first). Who cares? He can be replaced just like any other muppet in the organization.

Every muppet but Pastor, you mean.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016

It really depends on how influential Brackett was on the NCAA/USHL picks. If no Brackett means no Demko, Gaudette, Madden, Rathbone, Lockwood, and Rafferty, then this obviously would be a huge blow (compared to our other later round picks - aside from Tryamkin, we have nothing so far).

Last edited:

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
It really depends on how influential Brackett was on the NCAA/USHL picks. If no Brackett means no Demko, Gaudette, Madden, Rathbone, Lockwood, and Rafferty, then this is obviously a huge blow (compared to our other later round picks - aside from Tryamkin, we have nothing so far).

And that Boeser kid, what's his name, Moe . . . something like that.

Reactions: 50 Sheas of Grey

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
It really depends on how influential Brackett was on the NCAA/USHL picks. If no Brackett means no Demko, Gaudette, Madden, Rathbone, Lockwood, and Rafferty, then this is obviously would be a huge blow (compared to our other later round picks - aside from Tryamkin, we have nothing so far).
Well sure. But I don’t think any one scout is responsible for every successful pick. They work collaboratively. Brackett probably had little to do with Madden and Rafferty for example, as his role has changed. All we can do is speculate

Reactions: 50 Sheas of Grey
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad