Speculation: What's going on with Judd Brackett?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
My pipedream: Gillis to be rehired and to give Brackett 100% control of the draft.

Reality: Benning and Weisbrod stay around and, Brackett leave's the organization. Going back to drafting for position or, who has a good world juniors.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
My pipedream: Gillis to be rehired and to give Brackett 100% control of the draft.

Reality: Benning and Weisbrod stay around and, Brackett leave's the organization. Going back to drafting for position or, who has a good world juniors.

1942617018_Benninghead.png.96e84568bc6e7b0431c0115c9763dace.png
wut.....?

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
this is like when the warden in shawshank had tommy killed then threatened to dismantle tim robbins’ library brick by brick then burn all the books

everything that gillis did, from the sleep science, the facilities, amenities, all now storage closets full of unsold kassian jerseys. and now the last staff member mg brought to the team is being taken out to the prison yard for the sniper.
Was gonna watch that this week, guess I wont watch it NOW, thanks Vadim :shakehead

Reactions: I am toxic

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Brackett apparently being on the way out brings to mind the purge of 2015.

Gilman, a smart guy, CBA and cap guru, job had been partly to tell Gillis when he was going to make a mistake. Asset management was his strength. It isn't a high priority for the current management group so he didn't fit in.

Henning, who made the Utica Comets a force to be reckoned with, 2nd best team in the AHL.

Eric Crawford, often the forgotten man. In the summer of 2013 the Canucks took the long-overdue step of moving someone above Ron Delorme. While Delorme kept (at the time) his title of Director of Amateur Scouting, Crawford was moved above him as Director of Player Development. Crawford ran the draft for the Canucks for only one season, 2014. Besides first rounders Virtanen and McCann the Canucks drafted Thatcher Demko, Nikita Tryamkin and Gustav Forsling that summer. The Canucks haven't gotten much out of that draft (McCann was one of the assets given away for Gudbranson, Tryamkin was unhappy with the Canucks and returned to Russia, Forsling was traded to Chicago where he spent three seasons as a marginal NHL/AHL tweener) but it was a solid draft. Of course, the guy who engineered that draft was fired the next summer and the players he drafted were for the most part not kept around.

Just as the views of Gilman, Henning and Crawford weren't valued by the new management regime, it seems pretty much inevitable that Brackett would go the same way. Benning and Weisbrod do scouting and Brackett's opinion, while reportedly valued by Linden, was perhaps not so valued by Benning so just as a year after Gillis' departure his smart guys were gone, now, a year after Linden's departure his guy, considered by the consensus on this forum to be intelligent and competent, is about to be gone.

The Canucks came up with Brackett as a competent replacement for Crawford in amateur scouting. They may or may not come up with a competent replacement for Brackett. The loss, assuming there is one, won't be apparent right away.

Last edited:

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018

Gilman, a smart guy, CBA and cap guru, job had been partly to tell Gillis when he was going to make a mistake. Asset management was his strength. It isn't a high priority for the current management group so he didn't fit in.

Henning, who made the Utica Comets a force to be reckoned with, 2nd best team in the AHL.

Eric Crawford, often the forgotten man. In the summer of 2013 the Canucks took the long-overdue step of moving someone above Ron Delorme. While Delorme kept (at the time) his title of Director of Amateur Scouting, Crawford was moved above him as Director of Player Development. Crawford ran the draft for the Canucks for only one season, 2014. Besides first rounders Virtanen and McCann the Canucks drafted Thatcher Demko, Nikita Tryamkin and Gustav Forsling that summer. The Canucks haven't gotten much out of that draft (McCann was one of the assets given away for Gudbranson, Tryamkin was unhappy with the Canucks and returned to Russia, Forsling was traded for Adam Clendening) but it was a solid draft. Of course, the guy who engineered that draft was fired the next summer and the players he drafted were for the most part not kept around.

Just as the views of Gilman, Henning and Crawford weren't valued by the new management regime, it seems pretty much inevitable that Brackett would go the same way. Benning and Weisbrod do scouting and Brackett's opinion, while reportedly valued by Linden, was perhaps not so valued by Benning so just as a year after Gillis' departure his smart guys were gone, now, a year after Linden's departure his guy, considered by the consensus on this forum to be intelligent and competent, is about to be gone.

The Canucks came up with Brackett as a competent replacement for Crawford in amateur scouting. They may or may not come up with a competent replacement for Brackett. The loss, assuming there is one, won't be apparent right away.
The replacement will be Benning himself. That’s why Gear was promoted.

I wonder if we lose out on our Northeastern connection when Brackett leaves. Seems inevitable. Gaudette, Madden and Mcdonagh looks like a really nice mid-late round haul.

crazy to me Ottawa has 9 picks before the Canucks even select this year. Craziness.

Reactions: I am toxic

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016

Eric Crawford, often the forgotten man. In the summer of 2013 the Canucks took the long-overdue step of moving someone above Ron Delorme. While Delorme kept (at the time) his title of Director of Amateur Scouting, Crawford was moved above him as Director of Player Development. Crawford ran the draft for the Canucks for only one season, 2014. Besides first rounders Virtanen and McCann the Canucks drafted Thatcher Demko, Nikita Tryamkin and Gustav Forsling that summer. The Canucks haven't gotten much out of that draft (McCann was one of the assets given away for Gudbranson, Tryamkin was unhappy with the Canucks and returned to Russia, Forsling was traded for Adam Clendening) but it was a solid draft. Of course, the guy who engineered that draft was fired the next summer and the players he drafted were for the most part not kept around.

Good post, very informative. I think this might be Benning’s biggest weakness - effectively managing the team’s personnel. Gilman probably vehemently opposed the Sbisa/Dorsett extensions and was fired for his dissenting views.

I can see people using the defence of “but he changed his mind on Pettersson and deferred to our scouts.” But this neglects any input Linden had who seemed to have intervened to a certain extent. And he got fired as well (not necessarily a bad move, but part of a bigger trend).

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
The replacement will be Benning himself. That’s why Gear was promoted.

I wonder if we lose out on our Northeastern connection when Brackett leaves. Seems inevitable. Gaudette, Madden and Mcdonagh looks like a really nice mid-late round haul.

crazy to me Ottawa has 9 picks before the Canucks even select this year. Craziness.

Yes, in an interview with Benning right after the Gear promotion, Benning himself says it frees up his time to do more scouting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad