Speculation: What's going on with Judd Brackett?

Status
Not open for further replies.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
At the same time, not having those picks gives him fewer chances for the scouting staff to knock one out of the park and earn him more money and/or opportunities going forward. If the team is in a cycle of selling off high picks, it makes sense for him to capitalize on recent successes and move on to somewhere that provides more potential for the same if such a situation presents itself.

Is Brackett paid a commission equivalent to Petey's bonus structure or something? I don't think so.

Like GMs and coaches, your stock is higher when their team is winning and winning teams are more likely to trade away draft picks. What would earn Brackett the most money is if the Canucks are Cup contenders and led by guys Brackett help draft AND he manages to help draft NHL players despite not having high picks to work with. Which "super scout" have you heard of that wasn't part of a very good team?

Like I said many times, Director of Amateur Scouts don't typically move to other teams unless it is to follow the GM they have been working with or an AGM who moved elsewhere to be another team's GM. A lot of posters here think that GMs are interested in hiring the best talent and don't care why someone in Brackett's position would want to leave his current team. I think they do.

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
Confused by some of these 'won't need Brackett' posts/jokes. I hope it's being posted in jest, because we'll need Brackett more than ever with our low pick count/quality.

Last edited:

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Confused by some of these 'won't need Brackett' posts. I hope it's being posted in jest, because we'll need Brackett more than ever with our low pick count/quality.

It's alluding to how, despite there being concern over Brackett potentially leaving the team, it won't matter if we have no picks for him to work with anyway.

Reactions: OEL for Norris

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
“I see him as more of a winger,” he said on Tuesday. That caught more than a few people off guard, not just those sitting on the media side of the table.
Benning did see Madden play live once this year. That was three weeks ago during the Beanpot semifinals.
Madden was not good. It was, by all accounts, possibly his worst game of the season.

This section is just a big laugh all around. I thought EP Horvat Gaudette clogged up the centre spots, but now he's a winger?

And same reasoning why Weisbrod had to have Jankowski, just one game he saw and thought he was the smartest guy in the room.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
tenor.gif

Reactions: Bleach Clean

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
This section is just a big laugh all around. I thought EP Horvat Gaudette clogged up the centre spots, but now he's a winger?

Yes, they clogged up the centre spots, which may have played into the reasoning for why Benning thought he would have a better opportunity to break in on the wing. Did that honestly not cross your mind?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Yes, they clogged up the centre spots, which may have played into the reasoning for why Benning thought he would have a better opportunity to break in on the wing. Did that honestly not cross your mind?

Your defense of this statement is bizarre considering you just spent days trying to argue that Madden was surplus to requirements because he was stuck behind too many centers.

And yes, I agree with Benning here. He does quite possibly project as a winger. But that invalidates pages of arguments you were trying to make a couple days ago.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Arrogance and stupidity. Literally the worst combination.

true, but don't be too sure which direction. brackett has aligned himself with linden here and also tried to negotiate through the media. he also apparently tried to get autonomy on all draft decisions if rumours are true. those are all strikes against him imho.

we are shortly going to learn if brackett is the man or just a relentless self promoter. i do not rule out either scenario.

Reactions: vancityluongo

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
true, but don't be too sure which direction. brackett has aligned himself with linden here and also tried to negotiate through the media. he also apparently tried to get autonomy on all draft decisions if rumours are true. those are all strikes against him imho.

we are shortly going to learn if brackett is the man or just a relentless self promoter. i do not rule out either scenario.

I don't know if that's true but I don't think wanting autonomy over draft selections is unreasonable for a director of amateur scouting.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
this is like when the warden in shawshank had tommy killed then threatened to dismantle tim robbins’ library brick by brick then burn all the books

everything that gillis did, from the sleep science, the facilities, amenities, all now storage closets full of unsold kassian jerseys. and now the last staff member mg brought to the team is being taken out to the prison yard for the sniper.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
Your defense of this statement is bizarre considering you just spent days trying to argue that Madden was surplus to requirements because he was stuck behind too many centers.

And yes, I agree with Benning here. He does quite possibly project as a winger. But that invalidates pages of arguments you were trying to make a couple days ago.

Obviously if management felt Madden was a winger, he wasn't going to be held back by the 3 young centremen. It would only be bizarre if you believe I thought he was destined to be a winger all along. I didn't, as he is being developed at centre.

Make sure not to conflate different things. It's pretty obvious why someone would question if Madden has a path to minutes at centre ice, if there are 3 young centremen already slotted in on the depth chart.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Canucks Extra: Rev up the rumour machine

First year Judd not involved in the war room at the deadliest me.

This has to be enough smoke now doesn’t it.

Ugh.

Yeah, he's done. What absolute idiocy.

This is just so odd to me for a few reasons:

1. You never judge a prospect after 1 game, yet it seems like Madden's worst game made an impression.

2. Brackett is still the Chief Amateur Scout as of right now. Why not have him in the war room? It's still his job at present.

3. Maybe Benning has it right and Madden was expendable? In part, that would justify his criticism of Brackett. Yet, LA wanted him?

4. Madden and Guadette especially mark what Brackett was doing in the depth rounds. Interesting to see how they turn out, and how this infoms the perception of the divide behind the scenes.

Reactions: I am toxic

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
I feel the need to point out that finding intelligent and competent staff is actually harder than finding good players.

There are more good players in the league than there are intelligent and competent staff. There are also equity measures (salary cap, the draft) that give all teams an opportunity to acquire good players.

There are no such measures for staff.

Look no further than Edmonton to see that your organization can be plagued by incompetent staff for over a decade with no remedy in sight.

Gilman, our cap genius: Fired.
Brackett, our drafting genius: Pushed out.

In a league where acquiring intelligent staff is incredibly difficult, Benning has gone out of his way to remove our most intelligent ones, leaving us at a severe disadvantage. Look at how awful the cap management has looked with Gilman gone. I shudder to think about what our drafting is going to look like without Brackett.

This is the type of blow that could take years and years to rectify. Even when Benning is fired, guys like Judd Brackett don’t come around often. It’s very likely that the new GM will be forced to settle for someone mediocre to head up the draft.

dbaz

Jan 29, 2010
isnt he on a scouting trip in europe?

also do video calls not exist?

while it sucks he doesnt have an extension yet its too soon to say hes gone.
maybe hes bitching out the europe scouts due to the misses they have had, and looking at other teams prospects to see if they can steal someone? maybe longer looks at lundell as hes projected to drop in the 1st round?

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
If Brackett walks and the Canucks drafting turns to shit, I think it would be pretty clear who is primarily responsible for our current core.

drax0s

Mar 18, 2014
Vancouver, BC.
If Brackett walks and the Canucks drafting turns to shit, I think it would be pretty clear who is primarily responsible for our current core.
Unfortunately, it'll take 2-3 years for that to bear fruit and we won't have Brackett to pick up the pieces.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton

There is too much inherent randomness in drafting to attribute successes or failures to one guy.

I've been posting for the last five years about how drafting is overrated, and how even if Jim Benning was a scouting savant, that's such a small aspect of managerial duties that it doesn't matter. That applies to a much lesser degree when assessing the director of amateur scouting because it is his entire job; however, the impact on the organization can be mitigated if strength is added in other areas. A team does not live and die by scouting; far from it.

I feel the need to point out that finding intelligent and competent staff is actually harder than finding good players.

There are more good players in the league than there are intelligent and competent staff. There are also equity measures (salary cap, the draft) that give all teams an opportunity to acquire good players.

There are no such measures for staff.

Look no further than Edmonton to see that your organization can be plagued by incompetent staff for over a decade with no remedy in sight.

Gilman, our cap genius: Fired.
Brackett, our drafting genius: Pushed out.

In a league where acquiring intelligent staff is incredibly difficult, Benning has gone out of his way to remove our most intelligent ones, leaving us at a severe disadvantage. Look at how awful the cap management has looked with Gilman gone. I shudder to think about what our drafting is going to look like without Brackett.

This is the type of blow that could take years and years to rectify. Even when Benning is fired, guys like Judd Brackett don’t come around often. It’s very likely that the new GM will be forced to settle for someone mediocre to head up the draft.

At the same time, this post nails it; this is not good news, because Judd Brackett by most accounts is a very smart guy.

Again, I've attempted/made arguments in favour of Benning (and a guy like Ken Holland) by arguing essentially that his job is managing people, not identifying players.

If he is a good people manager (essentially an HR role), that is inherently more important than if he can correctly identify and distinguish the future AHLer from the future Danish league journeyman by watching a college game in North Dakota. The general manager of an 800M organization should not be directly scouting or managing payroll or negotiating contracts; he should be using his vast network (traditionally either developed through years of business experience or years of experience within the sport) to find highly specialized managers/executives to fill those roles, while providing the overarching direction for the team and strategic guidance as needed.

Losing Judd Brackett is not a singularly big deal. I don't think there will be an enormous difference between him and the next upcoming person qualified for this role. However, my fear now is that Benning will look to assume these responsibilities himself, which inherently goes against the idea of finding specialized experts. I tried to make the argument that it doesn't matter that Jim Benning isn't a scouting savant; he's trying to make it so that it does matter if he is or not. Yikes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->