Speculation: What's going on with Judd Brackett?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
Wrong, and I have explained this to you elsewhere. Linden was very clear in saying he gave the scouts the autonomy to make the pick.

Autonomy:
noun

1. the right or condition of self-government

Why would he say he gave the scouts autonomy to make that pick if everyone else was on board? And if Benning was on board with the pick, and all the scouts clearly were, then who would be the dissenting opinion?

I think people need to stop closing their eyes to things that show Benning in a bad light, and start looking at the evidence.
I hate saying this because I try to respect everyone's opinion, but in your case, your opinion falls on deaf ears. You are so far gone and wrapped in your cozy cocoon of hatred towards a man who has begun to turn this team around, that it is virtually impossible for you to give any credit whatsoever in regards to the positive effects Benning has had on the Canucks. You have so much time and effort invested in frothing at the mouth and wanting to see Benning fired that you've abandoned all rational thought and cannot even consider the possibility that you could be wrong, and God forbid, that Benning could actually be turning into a good GM. You pick every ridiculous argument you can to justify your confirmation bias that Benning is the worst GM in sports history, while throwing bull-shit against the wall in an effort to negate any positive things he has done in plotting this team towards an upwards trajectory.

Try to retrieve some impartiality. There must be some buried deep within you somewhere. Then maybe we can talk again.

Last edited:

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I hate saying this because I try to respect everyone's opinion, but in your case, your opinion falls on deaf ears. You are so far gone and wrapped in your cozy cocoon of hatred towards a man who has begun to turn this team around, that it is virtually impossible for you to give any credit whatsoever in regards to the positive effects Benning has had on the Canucks. You have so much time and effort invested in frothing at the mouth and wanting to see Benning fired that you've abandoned all rational thought and cannot even consider the possibility that you could be wrong, and God forbid, that Benning could actually be turning into a good GM. You pick every ridiculous argument you can to justify your confirmation bias that Benning is the worst GM in sports history, while throwing bull-**** against the wall in an effort to negate any positive things he has done in plotting this team towards an upwards trajectory.

Try to retrieve some impartiality. There must be some buried deep within you somewhere. Then maybe we can talk again.

So I see rather than addressing the post, and the actual quote involved, you come back with taking shots at me personally. That says all I need to know.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
I hate saying this because I try to respect everyone's opinion, but in your case, your opinion falls on deaf ears. You are so far gone and wrapped in your cozy cocoon of hatred towards a man who has begun to turn this team around, that it is virtually impossible for you to give any credit whatsoever in regards to the positive effects Benning has had on the Canucks. You have so much time and effort invested in frothing at the mouth and wanting to see Benning fired that you've abandoned all rational thought and cannot even consider the possibility that you could be wrong, and God forbid, that Benning could actually be turning into a good GM. You pick every ridiculous argument you can to justify your confirmation bias that Benning is the worst GM in sports history, while throwing bull-**** against the wall in an effort to negate any positive things he has done in plotting this team towards an upwards trajectory.

It is not just about Benning it is his schtick. Every GM ever basically never did anything right in Vancouver. I guess it encourages discussion.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
So I see rather than addressing the post, and the actual quote involved, you come back with taking shots at me personally. That says all I need to know.
I don't think these are personal shots. He's describing actual behaviours you display that make it impossible for anyone to have conversations with you. Everyone here has a bias of some kind, and most of us have a certain degree of dismissiveness toward people who disagree with us. Yours are so strong that your posts are essentially incoherent most of the time, and it's been that way for years.

Last edited:

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
Not to repeat what MS said but neither of these things contradict the narrative and are exactly how Benning would behave even if things played out the way I described.

Benning isn't going to nuke his career by going rogue on the draft floor and undermining his boss. Come on. Maybe Brian Burke does something like that. And nobody is saying that Benning thought Pettersson was crap. I'm sure Petey was his second or 3rd choice and he had loads of good things to say about him.

Drafting is a collaborative effort, and just because Benning behaved professionally on the draft floor and said the right things doesn't contradict that it was very likely Linden's call to let Brackett make his pick over a player Benning preferred.

I'm curious how you would expect Benning to behave if you disagree? You think he pouts and boycotts the draft if he doesn't get his way? I don't like Benning but I don't think he's a baby.

We also have linden going out of his way (unprompted) to praise Brackett for his work in that draft in 2017, while not saying anything about Benning. And we have a complete absense from sycophants in the media like Imac writing anything to suggest anything contrary to what I described.

Like I agree that we all have different thresholds for evidence but to me that's a lot on one side with "Benning behaving professionally on the draft floor" not very pursuasive counter evidence.

I really don't understand how you can watch the video and think isn't Benning isn't pleased to draft Pettersson, and instead has been overruled by an unusual powerplay move from his Boss.

Benning looks almost giddy when he talks about Petey, and obviously concerned that New York could have drafted him ahead of them if they had traded down.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

In this case, I think you have to take note of the poster that is saying this to you. It's not a random poster or one who employs worse tactics and now stands in judgement. CM's reputation is above reproach, IMO. Heed his words Y2K.

If you recall, we had a similar dialogue some time ago, about scorching future earth in terms of dialogue. It's happened. You've done it. It's gotten to the point where even when you post a correct argument, as your rationale seems sound enough (re: autonomy), it comes across as a repetitive droning of sorts.

You do have hockey knowledge though, I do not take that away from you.

Reactions: shottasasa

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour

^^^^^THIS 100% :help:

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
...what a f***ing bizarre discussion.

Who cares. Pettersson is a Canuck. Ultimately the team of Linden, Benning and Brackett all deserve some credit for making that pick. But maybe more importantly, the numerous coaches and managers that played a role in his development from June 2017 to October 2018 also deserve a ton of credit.

Anyone thinking that this pick was purely Jim Benning should expect nothing less than draft excellence moving forward, with or without Brackett. And those who think it was all Judd Brackett will be vindicated if Benning/Weisbrod take on more responsibility, only to drop 2007 level deuces over the rest of their tenure. Of course, both takes would be stupid, but apparently that's how it is.

The length some will go to defend Jim Benning is a little odd though. Like who f***ing cares if it was Judd Brackett who made that pick and Benning was against it. Nobody thinks Benning was against the equally good Hughes pick. Weisbrod would've been a direct advocate - even he's free and clear with that one.

Overall, this obsession with drafting is insanity. There seem to be some posters who would legitimately rather see more Madden / Brisebois level mid-round picks over anything else, including playoff success.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
...what a ****ing bizarre discussion.

Who cares. Pettersson is a Canuck. Ultimately the team of Linden, Benning and Brackett all deserve some credit for making that pick. But maybe more importantly, the numerous coaches and managers that played a role in his development from June 2017 to October 2018 also deserve a ton of credit.

Anyone thinking that this pick was purely Jim Benning should expect nothing less than draft excellence moving forward, with or without Brackett. And those who think it was all Judd Brackett will be vindicated if Benning/Weisbrod take on more responsibility, only to drop 2007 level deuces over the rest of their tenure. Of course, both takes would be stupid, but apparently that's how it is.

The length some will go to defend Jim Benning is a little odd though. Like who ****ing cares if it was Judd Brackett who made that pick and Benning was against it. Nobody thinks Benning was against the equally good Hughes pick. Weisbrod would've been a direct advocate - even he's free and clear with that one.

Overall, this obsession with drafting is insanity. There seem to be some posters who would legitimately rather see more Madden / Brisebois level mid-round picks over anything else, including playoff success.
The voice of reason, great post, would like it if i could VCL :yo:

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
It is not just about Benning it is his schtick. Every GM ever basically never did anything right in Vancouver. I guess it encourages discussion.

Wrong. Nice hyperbole though. But given the Canucks have never won a Stanley Cup, do you think we should praise every GM ever for doing such wonderful jobs? C'mon man. Raise your standards.

Reactions: Luckylarry

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
In this case, I think you have to take note of the poster that is saying this to you. It's not a random poster or one who employs worse tactics and now stands in judgement. CM's reputation is above reproach, IMO. Heed his words Y2K.

If you recall, we had a similar dialogue some time ago, about scorching future earth in terms of dialogue. It's happened. You've done it. It's gotten to the point where even when you post a correct argument, as your rationale seems sound enough (re: autonomy), it comes across as a repetitive droning of sorts.

You do have hockey knowledge though, I do not take that away from you.

No, I really don't have to take note of who is saying that to me. CM and I have had discussions on Twitter as well. He is clearly a pro-Benning person, while I'm not. And when presented with these facts he has openly chosen to ignore them. No words to heed.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
No, I really don't have to take note of who is saying that to me. CM and I have had discussions on Twitter as well. He is clearly a pro-Benning person, while I'm not. And when presented with these facts he has openly chosen to ignore them. No words to heed.

I dislike Benning and I think that I’ve presented numerous facts to that end, but I too believe you’re approach is off. Does that register?

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
I'm pro-Canucks

Last edited:

member 290103

I’m a big fan of CM, but Y2K is and has always been on the money here. This Canuck team is a mediocre club being propped up by super human goaltending. They are also approaching cap he’ll and are in danger of losing useful players so they can hold space for complete garbage like Sutter and Beagle. Benning is like a 4 year old in that he has no ability to plan long term. He gets cap space and he consistently overpays for poor talent.

I don’t understand how anyone can see any of this differently.

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
If Benning can be afforded years and years before declaring that he is bad, then he should also be afforded years and years before declaring that he is good. Failure and success doesn't happen in a straight line. For me, this year has been a bit of a revelation... but I still see shit ahead. I still see shit here. This year the team has been better than I thought, absolutely - regardless how it ends. It's been... entertaining (to the point I'm wondering if getting tickets again is on the horizon) and also pretty successful standings-wise. This year, I think is an anomaly. It seemed lucky... but the kids have been fun to watch. Miller has been a good player. Markstrom has been outstanding. I'll see this time next year if it can be replicated... and about 6 more years to see if Benning ended up good. Benning broke time, and one year of better than expected doesn't fix it.

Last edited:

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
As Melvin just stated in the trade thread a Judd pick out the door if in fact it is Madden gone. Interesting.

Reactions: Jyrki21

Lemmiwinks

Jun 11, 2011
B.C.
Let’s trade out one of Brackett’s most astute picks (remember the hype around Jake Wise?) for a likely rental. I’m sure that instils Brackett with a lot of confidence in Benning...

Reactions: vanuck

member 290103

So, the joke is on all you guys worrying about Brackett leaving ... because it doesn’t matter a lick if we don’t have any draft picks for him to use!

More 4D chess from Benning. Genius!

Yup...can see the spin already...”Brackett takes fall for Canucks lack of prospects in system. Benning pledges to fix the problem.”

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

cc

Feb 28, 2002
Let’s trade out one of Brackett’s most astute picks (remember the hype around Jake Wise?) for a likely rental. I’m sure that instils Brackett with a lot of confidence in Benning...

I have to wonder if brackett may be more motivated to move on in light of how the organization deals with their picks and prospects. The fact that they keep trading their futures away can't be sitting well with him.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I have to wonder if brackett may be more motivated to move on in light of how the organization deals with their picks and prospects. The fact that they keep trading their futures away can't be sitting well with him.

That would be stupid and I don't think Brackett is stupid. Brackett is not an old school thinker. You have heard him talk about "best asset." There was an article on the Athletic where Mark Kelly of the Blackhawks talked about how it wasn't their plan that all of the Dmen they drafted would play for the team but they felt their Dmen had held their value or increased in value which is what they were looking for.

No scouts like to do all the hard work only to not have picks to select players. But at the same time they are part of the team and undoubtedly Brackett is part of the team's success. It's unrealistic to expect all prospects to be kept and develop within the organization.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
That would be stupid and I don't think Brackett is stupid. Brackett is not an old school thinker. You have heard him talk about "best asset." There was an article on the Athletic where Mark Kelly of the Blackhawks talked about how it wasn't their plan that all of the Dmen they drafted would play for the team but they felt their Dmen had held their value or increased in value which is what they were looking for.

No scouts like to do all the hard work only to not have picks to select players. But at the same time they are part of the team and undoubtedly Brackett is part of the team's success. It's unrealistic to expect all prospects to be kept and develop within the organization.

At the same time, not having those picks gives him fewer chances for the scouting staff to knock one out of the park and earn him more money and/or opportunities going forward. If the team is in a cycle of selling off high picks, it makes sense for him to capitalize on recent successes and move on to somewhere that provides more potential for the same if such a situation presents itself.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013

Just hook it to my veins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad