What's going on with Boston?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Haven't watched them a lot but based on yesterday's game, what the heck is going on with Lucic?

He was completely comatose for most of the game, rousing only long enough to take a stupid cheap penalty while his team was trailing by a goal in the 3rd.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
This is the result of an arrogant management team who thought it was a good idea to trade the most talented forward they've had since Joe Thornton because he had apparent attitude issues.

When 20 year olds have attitude issues, what do you do?

A. Trade them because at age 20 a player is already too far gone to change.

B. Keep them around and teach them how to be a professional.

Boston chose A and now they are living with the consequences.

Karlsson2Turris*

They are to blame for their own demise. Trading a budding superstar because he doesn't fit in your "culture" is ridiculous.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
It all starts with trading Seguin. If they had him last year, they wouldn't have needed Iginla. Without Iginla (and his contract) last year, they wouldn't have almost $5mil in cap penalties this year.

Now the Bruins are in Cap hell and lack an elite goal scorer. Chiarelli should be fired.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
hi-res-9f82ff38175b7b97479e605ed9096d88_crop_north.jpg

Seriously though, look at his track record. He helped Buffalo last year and he's helping Boston this year.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Cup winners?

The funny thing about those two as well as Bruins fans is that they will just continue to reference a Cup win that was now 4 years ago as if it's some way to justify bad play presently.

How many times have we seen those two boneheads do that stupid "Raise the Cup" gesture something like 3 years after they won it? :laugh:

Knotty Moog

May 12, 2012
Los Angeles
The funny thing about those two as well as Bruins fans is that they will just continue to reference a Cup win that was now 4 years ago as if it's some way to justify bad play presently.

How many times have we seen those two boneheads do that stupid "Raise the Cup" gesture something like 3 years after they won it? :laugh:

If not giving it as an excuse for anything. The whole team sucks right now, and everyone has seen them do stupid stuff.

But they are two players that I root for on my favorite team. Dont give me your condescending ******** like fans of whatever team you root for wouldn't say the same things.

You would cheer for both of them if they were brought up in your teams system

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I wonder how that idiot who said they'd miss seguin in the regular season is feeling now. Yeah, I bet you are. Might not even make the playoffs now. What a blowhard.

Knotty Moog

May 12, 2012
Los Angeles
I wonder how that idiot who said they'd miss seguin in the regular season is feeling now. Yeah, I bet you are. Might not even make the playoffs now. What a blowhard.

Yup, that one will always sting!

Worse part about it is it will get magnified more and more every year he gets better

Arthur*

It's easy to point at the Seguin trade and go SEE! THERE! But they dealt Seguin for a universally panned return and won the President's Trophy last year. The problems are beyond one roster move, and some of them are as followed:

1. Chiarelli never replaced Iginla. Krejci and Lucic put up good results and good numbers when they had Nathan Horton or Jarome Iginla on their right. What's the common factor? Size and skill. Both Horton and Iginla used their physicality to get in front of the net and score, and complemented Lucic's physical game on the other side. Letting Iginla walk, instead of acquiring another forward, they tried to replace him internally and wound up with Seth Griffith playing there most of the year. I like Griffith, but he's not cutting it there, the downgrade from Horton->Iginla->Griffith on the first line playing first line minutes is going to have the net effect of costing the Bruins a lot of goals scored. Note that they're losing a lot of 1-goal games as well.

2. An aging secondary core combined with a coach who defers to veterans over rookies in almost all situations. Greg Campbell is cooked, Chris Kelly is no more than a good 4th liner and penalty killer, Simon Gagne should not be an NHLer anymore. Julien is giving all these guys way more minutes than they should be getting while youngsters like Spooner, Khokhlachev, and Pastrnak don't get a shot because they're not defensive wizards who fit the "system" yet.

3. Inverse from the previous point, between injuries and trades, the defense has been composed of mostly inexperienced prospects all year. When Chara and McQuaid got hurt, the defense corps for a full month was Seidenberg (who has looked rusty since coming back from his ACL) and 5 guys under the age of 25. You have the likes of Bartkowski, Trotman, and Morrow playing more than they need to. And when the D is healthy, they can put out a third pair with a defensive D-man like Kevan Miller to hold the fort and allow Torey Krug to do his thing offensively, but when your personnel is compromised, you can't shelter Krug and A. his defensive flaws have been exposed more often and B. needing to cover himself defensively, he's not as free to create offense from the blue line.

4. Injuries. Krejci being out most of the year has hampered the team. Carl Soderberg is the best third line center in the NHL. When Krejci is healthy and we can roll out Eriksson-Soderberg-Kelly/Fraser against a third or fourth line and a third defensive pairing, they create offense. When Krejci's out and Eriksson-Soderberg-Fraser have to go up against opposing top lines and top defense pairs, they get shut down.

There are many more reasons but I think these three more than any show the way that things have gone so far. I feel like the team is at a point where if they can make a trade for a winger to stick with Lucic and Krejci, they can recover and be a threat in the eastern conference again, but if they do nothing and let things slide, they're going nowhere.

Habs killer

Jan 31, 2007
somerville
as mentioned, never replaced jereome. loss of a solid asset in boychuk, never replaced. Constant shuffle of AHL kids, nothing has emerged that they can hold a regular shift on a nightly basis or coach playing roster roulette. injuries. cant score. so called 1st line was handicapped from the start of the season, winger needed.

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010
One problem that is manifesting itself is Claude Julien's unwillingness to work with young skilled players. He is too attached to his muckers and grinders and we end up losing 2-1.

It's a dilemma right now for the team. Claude has brought them so much success but he has went too far. Even now their most skilled prospects are in Providence and grinder prospects get promoted and the team is really loyal to guys like Chris Kelly and Gregory Campbell. Last night he put Gregory Campbell on as the extra attacker withthe net empty, wtf.

The talent level isn't where it has been the last few years either.

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
Can't score any goals.

Rask and Svedberg must be pissed, unless they have a shutout or only 1 goal against, its almost a guaranteed loss.

Julien overplaying his vet grinders like Kelly, Campbell, (he threw Campbell on as the extra attacker last night with a minute left down by a goal)

Seidenberg looks like garbage this year, Lucic is basically invisible 90% of the time, etc

Also doesn't help that we get, if we're lucky 2 powerplays a game (sometimes none), lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad