4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
The luck ran out?

image_4.png

The Sweetness

Jul 15, 2010
Stockholm
Almost as pathetic as a "top 5 player in the NHL" never eclipsing half a point per game when the games really count.
Agree. I don't see a 22 year-old improving his play in the playoffs especially given he's already established himself as a star for slightly more than a year. His shooting percentage at least is bound to stay the same. in the playoffs.

Great trade for Boston.:sarcasm:

Also - Seguin a top-5 player in the NHL? Really?

Godlike13

Dec 20, 2011
Right now he's playing like he is. He's second in points, and first in goals. Last year he was forth in total points. Sure these things are subjective, but there's support to the argument.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
The Seguin trade i understood...I hated it, and was 99% sure Seguin would explode the moment he put on another jersey...but i ger why they did it. Yadda yadda yadda doesn't fit the mold yadda yadda.

It's the Kessel trade that i really didn't understand.

Quite frankly, when the "mold" starts to run every skilled, but defensively lacking forward out of town and leaves you with a bunch of plugs, maybe it's time you change the mold instead of what you're trying to mold itself, if you get my drift.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
This is such a dumb take. They fell apart against Montreal last year in the playoffs but won the President's trophy last year and had the best goal differential in the league POST Seguin trade. Their problems are far more complicated than this myopic talking point.

I agree.people are posting as if the trade happened this summer. They were the best team in hockey last year post Seguin. Regular season.
The problem as I see it is they're still trying to play their 'grind the other team down until they get worn and start making mistakes and capitalize' style but don't have the strength or hard to play against personnel this year. No iginla, boychuk, Thornton who were all part of that punishing style. Chara and Mcquaid missing a lot of time who both exemplify that style. Lucic and seidenberg not playing up to par... And they're just a soft team.
Still a lot of talent on that team but they have to either adjust or bring in one or two heavier players.

BudMovin*

The Seguin trade i understood...I hated it, and was 99% sure Seguin would explode the moment he put on another jersey...but i ger why they did it. Yadda yadda yadda doesn't fit the mold yadda yadda.

Quite frankly, when the "mold" starts to run every skilled, but defensively lacking forward out of town and leaves you with a bunch of plugs, maybe it's time you change the mold instead of what you're trying to mold itself, if you get my drift.

This is pretty much what happened. Most Bruins fans think that every player that fails in Clode's system did because they are lazy. We haven't had a forward drafted since 2006 in Marchand stick on the club (and that was in 2009). Seguin was traded since he didn't fit. You question Clode on the Bruins board and you get gang tackled. Is it safe to here?

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I just think it was a mistake to trade TWO 21 year olds...but that's all.

The return for Kessel and the return for Seguin aren't even in the same stratosphere. I would do the Kessel deal then (Seguin, Hamilton, Knight) and l would still do it 11 out of 10 times as it is constituted now (Hamilton, Eriksson, Smith, Morrow, Fraser, Knight).

So I don't think it's very fair to lump them in together. The return on one of them was exceptional. The other....not so much.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
I just think it was a mistake to trade TWO 21 year olds...but that's all.

If you are saying trading Phil Kessel was a mistake, it wasn't. A) he wanted out and B) Seguin and Hamilton (Knight has not done much so far) for him is a fantastic return.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
This is pretty much what happened. Most Bruins fans think that every player that fails in Clode's system did because they are lazy. We haven't had a forward drafted since 2006 in Marchand stick on the club (and that was in 2009). Seguin was traded since he didn't fit. You question Clode on the Bruins board and you get gang tackled. Is it safe to here?

It's fine. It seems like some of the board is turning on him, and to a lesser extent, Chiarelli.

I can understand the defensiveness from some. He was the guy that built the system that turned Bruins from punchline to powerhouse, brought us our first Stanley Cup in decades, etc. But despite this, he has his painfully apparent flaws. Like relying on a garbage 4th line 3 years past its prime and refusing to open it up for the defensively inefficient like Kessel and Seguin.

To me, it seems like the league has caught on to Clode's system and he isn't adjusting. A Barry Trotz type situation where he may be a great coach, but sometimes changes needs to occur

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland

The "bunch of plugs" left after the Kessel trade have been to 5 straight playoffs, won a Cup, reached another final, won a President's Trophy, won their Division a bunch of times, had Vezina and Selke winners. My guess is that many fans would jump up and down at that performance.
Talking about forwards, calling the likes of Bergeron, Krejci, Marchand, Lucic, etc etc "plugs" is truly diminishing your credibility to ZERO, maybe even below that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad