Post-Game Talk: What's a "tripping"??? Pens 0 - 2 Trap

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Why is Pouliot not dressed again? Oh right, so that Rob Scuderi can continue to bobble the puck every time he touches it. The same defensive stalwart who got burned on the first goal because he decided to angle toward the guy against the boards, rather than the more dangerous guy driving down the middle.

**** Rob Scuderi.

**** Chris Kunitz.

**** Craig Adams.

And **** the coaching staff and management for keeping these three on the club.

Injuries. DP has to go down to clear cap space to allow a callup to replace Hornqvist/Malkin. It's a double whammy. Their transition game has been total ass since DP was benched, then sent down.

That Cole/Scuderi pair is going to be a ****ing nightmare. Cole, I like as a bottom pairing guy, but he simply can't carry Scuds around like Despres did. It was total agony tonight watching them on pressured breakouts.

I still can't get over that Adams play.

Really? I saw it in slow mo in my mind before the play developed and I saw Adams **** it up. Then it happened in real life. I just see the game on a higher level than you. It's ok to admit it.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
:D

The numbers are worse than I thought

Just looking post-2004 lock-out, 20% of players used to score greater than 50 pts per season. Last year 13% of all players scored more than 50 pts.

So it's not only the elite players that aren't scoring well (eg Art Ross winners).

The percentage of players scoring between 20-49 points has been relatively stable - 40% in 2005-06 to 39.6% in 2013-14. So the common HFboards theory that there are more players scoring in this mid-range is incorrect.

The increase has been in the percentage of players scoring 1-19 pts from 40.3% to 46.3%.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I still can't get over that Adams play.

You mean the one where he could have sent Letang and (forget the other forward) away on a 2 on 0 breakaway with a simple pass that any NHL player should be able to make in his sleep, but instead lofted a weak ass back hand attempt right at the defender who was caught flat-footed?

roquay

Aug 9, 2012
Victoria
Spaling could be battling in that area but either the puck doesn't get there or he doesn't touch the puck.

Sutter could be in that area but gets more touches on the puck. I do believe that many people may be biased when Sutter does positive things.

Unfortunately the other sites that used to carry that data have changed to relative data or no longer are updating.

war on ice has their scoring chances (click for definition) which measures scoring chances for which that player was on-ice and individual contributions where the scoring chances include high probability shots from dirty areas as well as rebounds and rush shots.

At 5v5, when Sutter is on-ice the team records 20.7 SCF60 (scoring chances per 60) and 22.6 SCF60 when Spaling is on the ice. (Obviously there is some overlap.)

However, Sutter registers 6.27 iSCF60 (individual scoring chances per 60) compared to Spaling registering 5.21 iSCF60. Even though Spaling has more playing time on the season, Sutter has contributed more scoring chances individually.

Thanks for the stats.

I had a question because I'm not 100% whats classed as a scoring chance but I had an example.

Letang came down the boards (Against Ottawa I think), behind the net and scored a wrap around goal. Now Spaling was in front of the net and tied up the defender from being able to stop Letang (Bennett lifted a stick of the other defender too). Does that contribute to any of Spaling's (or Bennett's)stats (other than plus/minus)?

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
You mean the one where he could have sent Letang and (forget the other forward) away on a 2 on 0 breakaway with a simple pass that any NHL player should be able to make in his sleep, but instead lofted a weak ass back hand attempt right at the defender who was caught flat-footed?

:laugh: is this on a highlight reel anywhere? I have to see this.

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh

I think that's the one!

He's such an embarrassment to watch. It's hard just to watch him skate. I seriously don't think he could do much if he were in the ECHL. His skating is just such a liability.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Question: Say you're the Rangers or the Capitals or Isles. What about the Penguins scares you? I'm not talking about the PC 'all that skill' and 'they play better defense' type of answer. I'm asking, if your AV or Trotz or Capuano, what makes you have doubts about your chances against the Pens?

As far as I can figure, the only choices are NOTHING or MALKIN.

I think this is exactly why teams play so well against us. We have the two best players in the league. Every single player in the league wants to show they can outplay Crosby and Malkin. It's why Couts and Dubi have such good games against them and then vanish. Part of the issue with the Pens is every single game is a measuring stick game. It's like being a Cup champ.

Same thing happened with Boston a few years ago. Every single team tried to out tough them every single night.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010

You know when the first time was I ever cursed that ****ing guy's name? Game 7 against Detroit. Mind you, he was useful for the first couple of years, but it was a foreshadowing of things to come.

Osgood is out of the net, Detroit is pressing and pinching, and the puck gets chipped out of the zone. Adams gets it at center, and he has both Max AND Staal wide open, I mean wide open with NOBODY near them to his left in open space. Instead of making a simple 8 foot pass, he gets complete tunnel vision and actually tries to lob it OVER Lidstrom's head, who caught it easily with his hand and brought it back the other way.

Honestly, the one consolation I'll have if and when this team gets bounced is that I'll never see that ****er's face ever again. I'm honestly sick of him.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
Thanks for the stats.

I had a question because I'm not 100% whats classed as a scoring chance but I had an example.

Letang came down the boards (Against Ottawa I think), behind the net and scored a wrap around goal. Now Spaling was in front of the net and tied up the defender from being able to stop Letang (Bennett lifted a stick of the other defender too). Does that contribute to any of Spaling's (or Bennett's)stats (other than plus/minus)?

Yes in that case Letang would record the individual scoring chance (iSCF) and his individual points, goal, and shot totals; however everyone on ice with Letang including Bennett and Spaling would have that attempt count for their on-ice scoring chance per 60 (SCF60). It would also count for other on-ice stats including goals, shots, Corsi, and Fenwick. Most of these on-ice stats are not generated by the NHL, but they can be interesting to see the impact of a player when he is on the ice.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Just looking post-2004 lock-out, 20% of players used to score greater than 50 pts per season. Last year 13% of all players scored more than 50 pts.

So it's not only the elite players that aren't scoring well (eg Art Ross winners).

The percentage of players scoring between 20-49 points has been relatively stable - 40% in 2005-06 to 39.6% in 2013-14. So the common HFboards theory that there are more players scoring in this mid-range is incorrect.

The increase has been in the percentage of players scoring 1-19 pts from 40.3% to 46.3%.
Good stuff, thanks. I was wondering that exact thing.

BlackGoldGreen

Jul 7, 2006
California
You know when the first time was I ever cursed that ****ing guy's name? Game 7 against Detroit. Mind you, he was useful for the first couple of years, but it was a foreshadowing of things to come.

Osgood is out of the net, Detroit is pressing and pinching, and the puck gets chipped out of the zone. Adams gets it at center, and he has both Max AND Staal wide open, I mean wide open with NOBODY near them to his left in open space. Instead of making a simple 8 foot pass, he gets complete tunnel vision and actually tries to lob it OVER Lidstrom's head, who caught it easily with his hand and brought it back the other way.

Honestly, the one consolation I'll have if and when this team gets bounced is that I'll never see that ****er's face ever again. I'm honestly sick of him.

Sorry to burst your bubble but I'm fairly certain Adams will be sticking around in the organization in one form or another. So sad to say but I think he's a lifer

tinkezione

Butcher's Dog
Jul 22, 2013
Nicosia, Cyprus
I was watching the KHL playoffs yesterday (Jokerit Helsinki vs. ZSKA Moscow) and having some St.Patrick's after, came home around 2:40 a.m. to catch the second period. Fell asleep in 3 minutes and as an afterthought I'm glad about that.

Obviously the game of hockey has become less and less entertaining. Superstars won't be scoring triple figures per season any more largely because third and especially fourth lines are no longer a bunch of traffic cones/beer barrels AND because the NHL rulebook seems to become stripped of any notions of obstruction. Welcome to the Dead Puck Era 2.0.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
That Cole/Scuderi pair is going to be a ****ing nightmare. Cole, I like as a bottom pairing guy, but he simply can't carry Scuds around like Despres did. It was total agony tonight watching them on pressured breakouts.
Is going to be? Already is.. lol.

It's astounding to me that Scuderi made ~$4M last year playing ice hockey.. will make ~$4M this year.. and another ~$4M next year. Just wow. Possibly one of the worst contracts in Penguins history.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
The better question is which one would've made you feel worse about the world?

Is it bad that I rather talk about Islam than the pens?

The Islam documentary didn't make me feel bad about the world at all, so by default the answer is the Pens.

shizno*

Feb 28, 2012
Ya'll are nuts. Sid is fine, the game has regressed to clutch & grab + the PP is beyond a joke at this point. Sid shouldn't have to go to the front of the net, let Horny do that. Sid should take more shots and perhaps cheat a little more but how can you complain when he's basically at the top of the scoring race in a season with a new coach, new linemates, a little mumps, his BFFWB almost dying etc

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Spaling could be battling in that area but either the puck doesn't get there or he doesn't touch the puck.

Sutter could be in that area but gets more touches on the puck. I do believe that many people may be biased when Sutter does positive things.

Unfortunately the other sites that used to carry that data have changed to relative data or no longer are updating.

war on ice has their scoring chances (click for definition) which measures scoring chances for which that player was on-ice and individual contributions where the scoring chances include high probability shots from dirty areas as well as rebounds and rush shots.

At 5v5, when Sutter is on-ice the team records 20.7 SCF60 (scoring chances per 60) and 22.6 SCF60 when Spaling is on the ice. (Obviously there is some overlap.)

However, Sutter registers 6.27 iSCF60 (individual scoring chances per 60) compared to Spaling registering 5.21 iSCF60. Even though Spaling has more playing time on the season, Sutter has contributed more scoring chances individually.

How are scoring chances determined? Is it chances Sutter gets himself? If so that isn't surprising because he is a shooter. His role is to finish chances that others set up for him.

Also, are the shot/goal charts you posted 5 on 5? If not, 2 of Sutter's goals around the net came because of a SH breakaway.

Just trying to add some context.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Is going to be? Already is.. lol.

It's astounding to me that Scuderi made ~$4M last year playing ice hockey.. will make ~$4M this year.. and another ~$4M next year. Just wow. Possibly one of the worst contracts in Penguins history.

I actually meant in the playoffs, but I just realized that means DP would be benched, and then there would be pretty much no transition game when Letang isn't out there.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Injuries. DP has to go down to clear cap space to allow a callup to replace Hornqvist/Malkin. It's a double whammy. Their transition game has been total ass since DP was benched, then sent down.

Agree all around. I hate to keep harping on the Despres trade (actually no I don't, I love harping on it), but it really F'd up their defense.

Martin-Letang
Ehrhoff-Pouliot (Ehrhoff is every bit as good of a defender as Lovejoy and they are playing him in a more defensive role rather than offensive guy. Point being, he could insulate Pouliot just fine)
Despres-Cole (yes please)

That is the defense we could have had. And you have Scuderi there if one of the young guys struggles.

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
I could have sworn it was Sutter that had that weak backhand pass attempt to spring Letang. I hate Adams as much as the next guy but I'm pretty sure it was Sutter. I remember saying FU Sutter you weak POS out loud I'm frustration.

Still I could be wrong.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Agree all around. I hate to keep harping on the Despres trade (actually no I don't, I love harping on it), but it really F'd up their defense.

Martin-Letang
Ehrhoff-Pouliot (Ehrhoff is every bit as good of a defender as Lovejoy and they are playing him in a more defensive role rather than offensive guy. Point being, he could insulate Pouliot just fine)
Despres-Cole (yes please)

That is the defense we could have had. And you have Scuderi there if one of the young guys struggles.

Can't sit the piece now.

He's been exposed on pressured breakouts pretty badly without Despres. It's unfair to expect Cole to have to do it by himself. It was unfair for Despres as well, but he was more gifted so he could wheel around with his size, strength and skating if there wasn't an outlet. It's pretty disturbing the decision makers for this org didn't see the signs...

I could have sworn it was Sutter that had that weak backhand pass attempt to spring Letang. I hate Adams as much as the next guy but I'm pretty sure it was Sutter. I remember saying FU Sutter you weak POS out loud I'm frustration.

Still I could be wrong.

No it was Adams.

You are probably thinking of when the Devils defender fell down and BB was wide open going down the lane and Sutter skated right to the other defender and lost the puck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad