OT: Whatcha Listening To?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
I got a new phone kind of recently (I think I’m October) and since I’m kind of lazy I only transferred what I’ve been listening to the most this year to it.

Oasis: pretty much everything they’ve done, I love it all. Probably my #1/2 favorite band along with...

The Rolling Stones: I like every up to Tattoo You, the late 60’s/early 70’s stuff is untouchable, if anyone who’s into the Stones hasn’t heard the extra stuff that didn’t make it on Exile On Main Street (the extra stuff on the deluxe edition that came out sort of recently), it’s definitely a must listen

George Harrison - All Things Must Pass
Here’s my hot take: this is by far the best Beatles or Beatles related record

My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
All the cliché stuff about this record is actually true, it stands alone

Interpol - every record, it’s all good. Saw them in Brooklyn over the summer and they were great

B-52’s - Self Titled + Wild Planet
Stone Roses - Self Titled
Quicksand - Slip
Mazzy Star - She Hangs Brightly
Suede - Self Titled
Swervedriver - Mezcal Head
Tokyo Shoegazer - Crystallize (if anyone’s into My Bloody Valentine, you’ll love this)
Prince - Purple Rain/Parade
Madonna - most of it, haven’t really gotten into the more recent stuff
Dolly Parton - Jolene
The Byrds - Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Fiona Apple - Tidal
John Coltrane - A Love Supreme/Giant Steps
Charles Mingus - Black Saint and the Sinner Lady
Miles Davis - Bitches Brew/Ascenseur Pour L’echafaud
Ryo Fukui - Scenery (kinda of like the Charlie Brown Christmas type jazz, but more upbeat)
Thelonius Monk - it’s all great
And I’ve been listening to the scores and title songs of all the James Bond movies, all the John Barry stuff is untouchable and a big part of what made James Bond what it is

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I got a new phone kind of recently (I think I’m October) and since I’m kind of lazy I only transferred what I’ve been listening to the most this year to it.

Oasis: pretty much everything they’ve done, I love it all. Probably my #1/2 favorite band along with...

The Rolling Stones: I like every up to Tattoo You, the late 60’s/early 70’s stuff is untouchable, if anyone who’s into the Stones hasn’t heard the extra stuff that didn’t make it on Exile On Main Street (the extra stuff on the deluxe edition that came out sort of recently), it’s definitely a must listen

Interpol - every record, it’s all good. Saw them in Brooklyn over the summer and they were great

Quicksand - Slip
Suede - Self Titled
Tokyo Shoegazer - Crystallize (if anyone’s into My Bloody Valentine, you’ll love this)
Dolly Parton - Jolene
Fiona Apple - Tidal
Miles Davis - *****es Brew/Ascenseur Pour L’echafaud
Ryo Fukui - Scenery (kinda of like the Charlie Brown Christmas type jazz, but more upbeat)
And I’ve been listening to the scores and title songs of all the James Bond movies, all the John Barry stuff is untouchable and a big part of what made James Bond what it is

Personally, I really liked The Stones’ Blue and Lonesome, but I’m also a fan of most blues music.

Reactions: GeorgeKaplan

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Personally, I really liked The Stones’ Blue and Lonesome, but I’m also a fan of most blues music.
I can’t remember the last time I’ve listened to it, and I’m a pretty decent blues fan too, so I’m gonna have to go give it a listen soon

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
I mostly listen to pop-punk, newer pop punk bands like Knuckle Puck, The Story So Far, Neck Deep, The Wonder years among others. Last 10 songs I have listened to?

The Bottom Line- Reasons
Knuckle Puck- Want Me Around
The Story So Far- Proper Dose
Bearings- Careless Clarity
Shaded- Tell me
Neck Deep- Can't kick up the roots
Seaway- Freak
Between you and me- Dakota
Basement- Disconnected
Hold Close- Bloom

If anyone here has heard of these bands I'd be shocked lol

Jabroni

The People's Champ
Jun 1, 2008
Anyone into Peter Gabriel? Red rain is my favorite song of his, such a unique and diverse musician. Great lyricist too.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ

Quicksand - Slip
Suede - Self Titled
Dolly Parton - Jolene
Fiona Apple - Tidal

With regards to the Byrds, my rule of thumb is anything Gene Clark wrote. And, for Miles Davis, Kind of Blue has to be there. In a Silent Way is also very good.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The Beatles were my first love and have never left me. I started getting into hard rock in high school, which mutated into the NWOBHM stuff like Maiden, but never got into thrash, as I starting getting into college and modern rock when I went to college surprisingly enough. The grunge fad kind of put a damper on ‘alternative music’ for me, so in the 90’s I drifted toward alternative country/Americana/No Depression music, which led to a full embrace of classic country, which was everything from Hank Williams to Merle Haggard to the Louvin Brothers to George Jones. Most country music after the ‘70’s either bores me or makes me cringe, unless it’s someone like Dwight Yoakam or Randy Travis.

Randy Travis guest starred on one of my all-time favorite episodes of Hey Arnold, voicing the character "Travis Randall"

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Anyone into Peter Gabriel? Red rain is my favorite song of his, such a unique and diverse musician. Great lyricist too.

I went through a huge Peter Gabriel and King Crimson Discipline Era phase in 2007 (Tony Levin being the connector). So is a commercial album but it's a super rare case where the production isn't too much. He got it just right and it sounds great.

I love the original band he had with Levin/Marotta.

My favorite is probably II aka Scratch. Each album has it's own vibe which I love.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY

Quicksand - Slip
Suede - Self Titled
Dolly Parton - Jolene
Fiona Apple - Tidal

Nice list. Have you heard the Quicksand album that was released in late 2017 (Interiors)? I really enjoyed it. Saw them play a small metal bar in Brooklyn NYE 2014 into 2015. Great, great show.

Mazzy Star is one of those bands that seemed really popular during the "120 Minutes" era of MTV but not talked about much since. As a kid obviously they weren't fast/loud/testosterone enough for me but as a slightly older person in his 30s, I really love their music even the album they put out in 2014. Hope Sandoval and Miki Berenyi from Lush were like the two girls in the alternative scene who every teenager had a crush on. Such a different era lol.

The Stones; it's funny I've been playing them (late 70s-early 80s era) for background music while I work and I love Emotional Rescue, really like Tattoo You, but wasn't too crazy about Some Girls other than the singles. Was surprising.

When I talk to young kids about Ron Wood and they don't believe me that he is a great guitar player, I just say to look up The Faces. Great band.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
My workout playlist...

Pantera- Cemetary Gates
Jack White- Lazaretto
Volbeat - Lola Montez
Metallica -Blackened
POD - Southtown
System of a down- Aeriels
Wolfmother- Joker and the thief
Tool- Forty six and two

Reactions: jacko23

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Can’t believe I left VAST out of this thread.

Been a big fan of his for 20 years at this point.

Don't really know them outside of Touched but that was a great song. I think the problem with them in terms of commercial success etc. was they broke out during the era which to me started after the Rangers 97 ECF run and went until 2000. It wasn't only the dark ages for our hockey team but that was when some of the worst movies of the last 30 years came out (asteroid flicks, Avengers 1960s British TV series, Spawn, Batman and Robin, Lost In Space, Godzilla) were released and music was transitioning to Spice Girls, NSync, etc. If Vast had a breakthrough single around the same time as say Stabbing Westward, history would be very different.

Reactions: Edge

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The first time I heard Metallica, it forever changed my trajectory.
If you have not, you should read the Definitive History of Metal. Great read, covering many mental bands. Including those that are vintage metal, but are not considered metal anymore.

Reactions: Jabroni

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
My parents are HUGE Beatles fans. Grew up listening to them. Greatest and most influential band in history of music.

There's so many little tricks, tenets, and styles in music where I look back and realize the Beatles were the first to do it. Such an innovative band.

Take Eleanor Rigby, for example. To be so dark and brooding, and take on the theme of death in mainstream music in 1966 just blows me away as a metal fan.

The Beatles were also the first to be avant garde in popular music. Mr. Kite, A Day in the Life, I Want You. Really out there stuff.

Jabroni

The People's Champ
Jun 1, 2008
If you have not, you should read the Definitive History of Metal. Great read, covering many mental bands. Including those that are vintage metal, but are not considered metal anymore.

Iron Maiden? Excellent!!

2 classic metal bands, love them both. I actually first heard Iron Maiden when our history teacher played "Alexander The Great" when we learned about him. He also played "Holy Wars" by Megadeth when we were learning about the Crusades. That class pretty much propelled me into metal.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
I listened to some Elvis remix last night....LMAO...actually watched as much as I listened . Those girls could sure dance . Ann Margaret no slouch in her day either .

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
There's so many little tricks, tenets, and styles in music where I look back and realize the Beatles were the first to do it. Such an innovative band.

Take Eleanor Rigby, for example. To be so dark and brooding, and take on the theme of death in mainstream music in 1966 just blows me away as a metal fan.

The Beatles were also the first to be avant garde in popular music. Mr. Kite, A Day in the Life, I Want You. Really out there stuff.

Tomorrow Never Knows...mic drop.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
My last 10: Nocturne 14 - Chopin
Me and Chopin's Nocturnes had some "profound" nights in college, that's for sure, :laugh:. Beautiful stuff.

I love Oasis. Don't care what douchebags they were, how derivative or simple their songs are, they just put together great songs. They're kind of like the Britpop Nirvana for me.
So apt. :laugh:. The 2012 reissue encompasses this perfectly. The first disc is the Remastered From Original Tape, which for Kevin Shields means making slight tweaks to sounds that literally can't be heard by the human ear, and the second disc is Mastered From Original 1/2 Inch Analogue Tapes (which is fantastic btw). What gets lost in all the Loveless mythos and the band's last 20 years of delays, is that 1988's Isn't Anything is in it's own right an incredible album.
Quicksand - Slip
Suede - Self Titled
You get huge points for these. If you like Mazzy Star and shoegaze, or anything in the Lo-Fi/Ambient/Post-Rock vicinity, Dragging a Dead Deer Up a Hill (2008) by Grouper is a gem. It's like the Blair-Witch-bad-acid-trip version of Mazzy Star.

With regards to the Byrds, my rule of thumb is anything Gene Clark wrote. And, for Miles Davis, Kind of Blue has to be there. In a Silent Way is also very good.
Hüsker Dü released "Eight Miles High" as a single two months before their legendary concept double-album Zen Arcade (1984), almost as a sort of key for unlocking the ideas and context layered beneath their heavily-distorted, breakneck sound. Also an example of the 1960s influence on the Hardcore/Indie scene during the 1980s.

My last ten:
  1. "Repeater" - Fugazi (Repeater)
  2. "Filler" - Minor Threat (Complete Discography)
  3. "Let It Slide" - Mudhoney (Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge)
  4. "Hurdy Gurdy Man" - Butthole Surfers (The Hole Truth... And Nothing Butt)*
  5. "Go For It" - Stiff Little Fingers (Go For It)
  6. "Nervous Breakdown" - Black Flag (The First Four Years)
  7. "Makes No Sense At All" - Hüsker Dü (Flip Your Wig)
  8. "Axemen" - Heavens To Betsy (Calculated)
  9. "Sing Swan Song" - Can (Ege Bamyasi)
  10. "Dig Me Out" - Sleater-Kinney (Dig Me Out)
*Just a grotesque, hilarious, and amazing cover. Another example of the 1960s-Hardcore relation.

Last edited:
Reactions: eco's bones

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey

The Velvet Underground have always been the Beatles for me. The latter just never really hooked me. Like, I don't know, they're trippin' balls with sitars and writing about tangerine trees (still awesome), and then in the same year Lou Reed and John Cale are releasing songs like "Venus In Furs" and "Heroin".

Last edited:
Reactions: eco's bones

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Iron Maiden? Excellent!!

Got into them when Killers came out. Saw them on the NOTB tour by themselves at the Palladium in June 1982. Saw them on the World Piece Tour with Motley Crue and Coney Hatch. And then saw them in 2006 on the AMOLAD tour.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad