OT: Whatcha Drinkin' Part II: The Sequel!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
I don't have a sense of smell so I don't even know what Beer actually tastes like. All I get to experience is the putrid bitterness of the hops.

I want to taste a beer made without hops. And before one of your beer snobs says beer isn't beer without hops, you should know that beer was beer for eight thousand years before hops was added to the mix. They added all kinds of herbs and stuff to beer instead.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
I don't have a sense of smell so I don't even know what Beer actually tastes like. All I get to experience is the putrid bitterness of the hops.

I want to taste a beer made without hops. And before one of your beer snobs says beer isn't beer without hops, you should know that beer was beer for eight thousand years before hops was added to the mix. They added all kinds of herbs and stuff to beer instead.

Full Sail session lager. drink it.

or try sours for a stronger flavor--fruity and sour.

edit: TP had the same thought at the same time. Bells Oarsman is a good sour you should find readily available.

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
Search out "sour" beers. They traditionally aren't hop forward. They do have a very distinct taste, though, and it's probably something you'll like or definitely won't. It's sort of a throw back type of beer and the process in which they're made is pretty interesting.

In short, instead of having a sterile environment to ferment, wild yeast/bacteria is added and it brings interesting and unpredictable results.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Do liquor stores offer sours? Can't say I've ever seen them outside of a taproom.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Do liquor stores offer sours? Can't say I've ever seen them outside of a taproom.

well Lambic's are generally sour. you'll probably find them as large single bottles. off the top of my head the only six pack of sour i've bought was Oarsman, which is a take on a traditional german sour beer (Berliner Weissbier) instead of a belgian lambic.

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
Ya, you'll only ever really find them in bombers (essentially the size of a wine bottle). It's possible that there's still some Surly Pentagram floating around out there and that'd be something local. I know New Belgium makes a sour that's generally well liked as well. Name escapes me...

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Stopped at Total Wine in Burnsville tonight.

Holy crap is there a ton of beer in that place :amazed:

They have a wall that's probably 100 yards long of just craft beer.

Found a 6 pack of Mojo IPA, from Boulder Brewing. Had it on tap in Wisconsin, and the liquor store by my house doesn't carry it.

boulder-mojo-ipa-nitro.png

The prices there were actually pretty good. Got a 6 pack of that Mojo for $8 (after taxes). Even if they didn't have good deals, I'd go back just for the selection!

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley
Gal is at the game tonight for work drinking and cabbing on the company dime.. So jelly. So all by my lonesome..

prod_blanco.png

Starting to realize my mistake without the lady home..

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
Stallhagen Blueberry Ale.

Stallhagen is a small brewery in Ã…land (an autonomous, swedish speaking region of Finland, small group of islands). Already tasted their Stallhagen III, Honey Beer and Stallhagen 1843 (the 'shipwreck' beer, copy of the 1800's beer that was found from the sunken ship).

This is suprisingly good. Nothing mind-blowing or extraordinary tasty, but good. It's not actually very sweet, not like Belgian cherry lambics for example. More like a blondish ale with a hint of blueberry, barely noticeable.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Trying this tonight:

Nikolai-IrishRed.jpg

Also, some cheap A Le Coq and Cola-Orange Long Drink.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Stallhagen Blueberry Ale.

Stallhagen is a small brewery in Ã…land (an autonomous, swedish speaking region of Finland, small group of islands). Already tasted their Stallhagen III, Honey Beer and Stallhagen 1843 (the 'shipwreck' beer, copy of the 1800's beer that was found from the sunken ship).

This is suprisingly good. Nothing mind-blowing or extraordinary tasty, but good. It's not actually very sweet, not like Belgian cherry lambics for example. More like a blondish ale with a hint of blueberry, barely noticeable.

I like that Blueberry beer. Really tasty.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
I would love to be drinking for this game, especially day drinking, but I think I might be babysitting my boss's kids tonight. Can't show up over there drunk.

Although she would probably laugh about it.

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
I like that Blueberry beer. Really tasty.

I like their beers too. Even the lager, Stallhagen III tastes good.

For the game I bought their Honey Beer, Dark Honey and U.S. Red Ale. One for each period ;)

plock

Sonic Reducer
Oct 5, 2013
Mill City

Hefeweizen you can usually find Erdinger, Paulaner or Franziskaner brand of hefeweizen at a good liquor store.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Had a couple new ones tonight.

Deschutes Fresh Squeezed IPA - VERY good. Loved the citrus undertones. I'm going to get another sixer of this very soon, I loved it.

Bell's Two Hearted Ale - Pretty good. Not fantastic, but it was decent.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
Had a couple new ones tonight.

Deschutes Fresh Squeezed IPA - VERY good. Loved the citrus undertones. I'm going to get another sixer of this very soon, I loved it.

Bell's Two Hearted Ale - Pretty good. Not fantastic, but it was decent.

That Two Hearted is one of my favorites.

I had their Double Cream Stout last night, it was delicious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad