OT: Whatcha' DIYin'?

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
There was a crack on the plaster of the chimney of my wood over, and the chimney sweeper kind of demanded that I fix it.

So a week or so back, I took down a section of the old plaster and today I set to re-plaster it with lime plaster.

I don't have the needed skill/experience to plaster, nor do I have the skill or tools to mix the plaster, nor do I really have an understanding when the plaster mix is proper and good.

There was a lot of cursing and woe-on-me, the side portion remains unplastered, the front portion is kind of here or there, and I'm waiting if even that comes down when it dries up.

I have no f***ing idea what the "throwing the plaster on the wall correctly" is supposed to mean, but I'm pretty certain my way was the wrong way. So I ended up rubbing the plaster onto the bricks with a rubber glove. Every now and then at least some stuck.

f*** this shit.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
There was a crack on the plaster of the chimney of my wood over, and the chimney sweeper kind of demanded that I fix it.

So a week or so back, I took down a section of the old plaster and today I set to re-plaster it with lime plaster.

I don't have the needed skill/experience to plaster, nor do I have the skill or tools to mix the plaster, nor do I really have an understanding when the plaster mix is proper and good.

There was a lot of cursing and woe-on-me, the side portion remains unplastered, the front portion is kind of here or there, and I'm waiting if even that comes down when it dries up.

I have no f***ing idea what the "throwing the plaster on the wall correctly" is supposed to mean, but I'm pretty certain my way was the wrong way. So I ended up rubbing the plaster onto the bricks with a rubber glove. Every now and then at least some stuck.

f*** this shit.
There has got to be a YouTube video so you can be certain how bad you are doing the work.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
There has got to be a YouTube video so you can be certain how bad you are doing the work.

YouTube has been indispensable for DIY projects. I can't tell you how many projects I've consulted YouTube on and how helpful it has been, particularly with subject matter that I don't take on often (auto repairs, plumbing, spray finishing, concrete, etc...).

The drawback is that for some projects (such as electrical wiring), there are a bunch of people making videos that have no clue what the right way and wrong way to do things are, so I usually watched a number of videos on a topic to make sure I weed those out.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
You couldn’t convince me the festool is any better. The mafell is another story but some of their tools make festool look affordable. I’m currently coveting their jigsaw and trying my best not to order it since I recently dropped $700 on my first really good sander. Sanding and finishing are not something I typically enjoy but I’m working on getting better at it.

I couldn’t help myself and boy, am I glad. This jigsaw is one hell of a tool. Still not sure it’s worth the price tag but I really enjoyed using it today. They have their own proprietary blades (it also takes regular t-shank blades) which are much thicker and guaranteed to cut square which is something I’ve always hated about my old makita jigsaw. The blade would always wander and you’d end up with messy cuts. They have a special circle cutting blade I used today which is two normal blades welded together with a back-bevel on each side so you can cut really tight radii. This is also my first barrel-style jigsaw and I already prefer it.

Oh, and I mostly finished my Paulk table today. Just need to lightly sand and finish the top. Will mount it on some sawhorses for now but am thinking of getting an elevating table so I can adjust the height as needed.

Excuse the mess. I’m also working on building cabinets so I can nearly store everything away and get rid of all the shelving. As long as my wife’s car can fit in by the time the snow flies I should be ok :laugh:

Attachments

• 40D965C6-9FFA-4F99-9D7A-3155A01D84B7.jpeg
    40D965C6-9FFA-4F99-9D7A-3155A01D84B7.jpeg
    219.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 0E1A9F93-2FBE-4B35-B697-0DF70457AAF2.jpeg
    0E1A9F93-2FBE-4B35-B697-0DF70457AAF2.jpeg
    381.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 685C6AE0-5A5B-4064-834B-08236578C93B.jpeg
    685C6AE0-5A5B-4064-834B-08236578C93B.jpeg
    250.7 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Anyone ever restore a cast iron wood stove? I got this 1979 Vermont Castings wood stove for dirt cheap at a thrift store. Initial plan was to use it at our farm outdoors under a covered porch so I wasn't going to do much to it. After removing all the rust and mouse nests, it cleaned up nicely and appears to be in good working order.

I’m debating painting it with a high heat paint and wonder if anyone has advice on this. I’m afraid stove polish won’t work well in the elements, even if it’s somewhat protected.

I also need to re-do all the seams with stove cement/mortar, although if it's going to be outside, it's probably not needed.

Stove1.jpg
[ATTACH type="full"]587530[/ATTACH][ATTACH type="full"]587531[/ATTACH][ATTACH type="full"]587532[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• stove5.jpg
    stove5.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 8
  • stove4.jpg
    stove4.jpg
    268.4 KB · Views: 6
  • stove2.jpg
    stove2.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 7

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Latest project at our farm. We've been slowly covering a grain and tack room into a kitchen/living area. About 2/3rds of the cabinets I was able to find used and dirt cheap at the Habitat for Humanity ReStore. They were all different colors and so I had to prep and paint them to match. I had to build some of the cabinets where I couldn't find one that fit. In this picture, I had to build the one (trash/recycling) near the fridge and today, I finished building, painting and installing a 30" 3 drawer cabinet (on the left) and 2 butcher block countertops. Still need to add the kick plate and my wife wants a floating shelf about it as well as some cubby/shelfs along the bigger fridge. The cabinets on the other side of the kitchen (not shown) are all done as well and I'm doing concrete counter tops but only have 1 of the countertops done. 2 more to go as I have to do them in sections due to the weight. I'll do a full before and after picture when I'm done.

Cab4.jpg

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
I finally finished my project to keep the dog away from the rabbit nest. Mistakes were made and the rabbits left several weeks ago, but it’s done.

Painters are coming this week, so it’ll match in a few days. Normally I do most of my own painting, but I’m not a fan of doing the exterior of two-story houses, especially in a hilly yard like mine (notice the taper on the right side). Someone else can get on the ladder.

Sadly, whoever originally built the screen porch did not line up the support posts with the screen posts above. This is the best I could do with that and the grading of the lot.

Attachments

• 03298058-7507-411F-8D3E-A98F15646230.jpeg
    03298058-7507-411F-8D3E-A98F15646230.jpeg
    734.7 KB · Views: 7

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
This was kinda fun. Before and after. This table was my wife's parents when she was between 6 year old and 8th grade. It then went to multiple relatives before she got it back a month ago. It's not a great table by any means as it's pine so easily damaged and we found multiple words indented into the top from kids doing homework on it over the years. But I refinished it and it's now our main table at our farm.

313115467_10222944299861183_930994320780429899_n.jpg

313122529_10222944300101189_4070694159363687965_n.jpg

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I've been doing woodworking as a hobby for over 30 years. Many people that start out make cutting boards, because a) they are easy to make. b) you can make them without spending a lot of money. c) You can get a completed project in a day (or two max) and d) everybody uses a cutting boards so it's practical.

Yet I've never made a cutting board before. For years, I've kept scraps of wood with the intent of making one, but just never got around to it until yesterday. My wife found a couple of glass tops to glass serving trays that were at the thrift store for $1-$2 and asked me to make a cheese / charcuterie board so I figured I'd break out the scraps of walnut, maple and cherry to make a couple.

Like I said, not overly complicated but it was fun to see a useful project after only a day or two. I have a bunch more scraps of wood so will probably try to knock out a few of these, but with different designs, for relatives.

CB1.jpg
CB2.jpg

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
I've been doing woodworking as a hobby for over 30 years. Many people that start out make cutting boards, because a) they are easy to make. b) you can make them without spending a lot of money. c) You can get a completed project in a day (or two max) and d) everybody uses a cutting boards so it's practical.

Yet I've never made a cutting board before. For years, I've kept scraps of wood with the intent of making one, but just never got around to it until yesterday. My wife found a couple of glass tops to glass serving trays that were at the thrift store for $1-$2 and asked me to make a cheese / charcuterie board so I figured I'd break out the scraps of walnut, maple and cherry to make a couple.

Like I said, not overly complicated but it was fun to see a useful project after only a day or two. I have a bunch more scraps of wood so will probably try to knock out a few of these, but with different designs, for relatives.

View attachment 604853View attachment 604854
Did you use your router on those?

hockeynjune

CAT4 and RI TAKE SHELTER NOW
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2021
BBA you do some pretty work.

you do some pretty work sir.

hockeynjune

Sponsor
Jan 15, 2021
Major rehab for entire downstairs. Buddy doing the cabinets, we are doing the rest.

Attachments

• 71FDB802-2DA9-4718-89AF-1A2453EE1777.jpeg
    71FDB802-2DA9-4718-89AF-1A2453EE1777.jpeg
    228.9 KB · Views: 6
  • E5969CB1-8FE3-47D3-AB4F-3DFB01977F68.jpeg
    E5969CB1-8FE3-47D3-AB4F-3DFB01977F68.jpeg
    217.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 5467882D-1C7F-45D7-9706-B3F17479E08A.jpeg
    5467882D-1C7F-45D7-9706-B3F17479E08A.jpeg
    253.6 KB · Views: 6

hockeynjune

Sponsor
Jan 15, 2021
Router / router table on the rectangular one. CNC on the round one.

I guess that's a major rehab. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.
It is for us. New hardwoods and footprint in the kitchen . Refinish the rest. New paint carpet and bath rehab in one master and refinish and paint in the other master. Be glad when we are done.

Bub

I like griping
Jul 5, 2006
Maine

I'd buy one.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
used some maple the builder threw away, some walnut I had and some glasses that were $1 at a thrift store to make this wine serving tray. I even got the handles out of the dumpster because the builder threw them away. fun project.

IMG_4286.jpeg
IMG_4290.jpeg

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Seriously, man, it may take the fun out of it for you, but I'd buy one of these (or the cutting board) if you ever decided to do that. Plus, who could pass up the chance for this:

"Nice tray!"
"It's an original Boom Boom Apathy. Custom-made."
"..."
Thanks. I may do that someday

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad