OT: Whatcha' DIYin'?

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Finished kitchen pics
Very nice. Did you build the cabinets? or buy them? I'm going to redo my kitchen in the next year or so. Have already re-done the island and built the cabinets for that, but not sure I want to tackle all the cabinets for that.

hockeynjune

CAT4 and RI TAKE SHELTER NOW
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2021
Very nice. Did you build the cabinets? or buy them? I'm going to redo my kitchen in the next year or so. Have already re-done the island and built the cabinets for that, but not sure I want to tackle all the cabinets for that.
One of my best friends is a custom cabinet builder. I did help but he is the master. He can take it from tree to the kitchen if that’s what you want. He has done several in Chapel Hill from old barns. His equipment was all custom made in Germany. Would not want to tackle that by myself either. I learned a lot though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
One of my best friends is a custom cabinet builder. I did help but he is the master. He can take it from tree to the kitchen if that’s what you want. He has done several in Chapel Hill from old barns. His equipment was all custom made in Germany. Would not want to tackle that by myself either. I learned a lot though.

I found building them is the easy part. I've built a bunch of cabinets over the years. It's finishing them that is more difficult. I have spray equipment, but no good place to spray and the stuff the pros use is lacquer that has pretty nasty fumes. I'm going to try a water based lacquer that a number of companies make and see how that goes.

Reactions: ndp

Neighbor Lee

Sponsor
Oct 25, 2013
Droneview
Outstanding cabinets and kitchen redo. OMG

Me - Trying to get my LG OLED55CX to install/update/run the streaming apps. Tv is less than a year old but any app that needed an update (and I guess they all do eventually) don't update. Then they stop working.

The supposed fix is to uninstalli/reinstall. Nope. Spent 3 hours with LG support with out success. Then I tried all forms of hard reboots. Did a factory reset. Changed the DNS code. Here's hoping that the warranty will cover this.

hockeynjune

Sponsor
Jan 15, 2021
I found building them is the easy part. I've built a bunch of cabinets over the years. It's finishing them that is more difficult. I have spray equipment, but no good place to spray and the stuff the pros use is lacquer that has pretty nasty fumes. I'm going to try a water based lacquer that a number of companies make and see how that goes.
He has a pretty sophisticated spray booth . The finish on ours was car quality. If you run into anything , I will be glad to get his input.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Today was fun. I had to run 150 ft. of 12/3 Romex from the garage panel, up over the 2nd floor ceiling then back down to a wall on the 1st floor. There's no real access to above the garage so I had to crawl over the furnace, do some gymnastics to climb over some cross beams, and then walk on the joists hoping to not fall through the ceiling. After that, I had to crawl on my stomach over fiberglass insulation over the 2nd floor while trying to fish the wire over to a space where there was access.

Thankfully it was a cool day.

Oh, and while doing this, I found out they had missed insulating over our laundry room (right next to the garage) when they built the house almost 3 years ago so I'll have to take care of that as well.

EDIT: Oh, and I'm getting too old for this shit.

Last edited:

hockeynjune

Sponsor
Jan 15, 2021
My lovely wife de, eh requested a new fireplace mantle and surround.
Her guys cut the marble for me, Depot for the crown and the rest was
left over scrap wood.

Attachments

• D378CCFA-53BC-4D09-A5FB-6DA64F90462D.jpeg
    D378CCFA-53BC-4D09-A5FB-6DA64F90462D.jpeg
    270.3 KB · Views: 7

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
I feel like that honour would have to go to electrical work. Plumbing mistakes aren’t likely to kill you or burn your house down.

I guess it depends on your calculus. Electrical does have the potential for the most serious damage but I've never actually had a problem with it. Way too often when I've messed with plumbing something got stripped, or broke loose where it wasn't supposed to, etc. Of course, that might be a reflection of my plumbing skills, lol.

Reactions: MinJaBen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad