Tribute What would your all time Canucks team look like?

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
To be fair, I *think* they often weren't healthy at the same time while they were Canucks.
Someone's been playing lots of NHL 20 during quarantine.

I haven't bought a copy of that since NHL 97 since 98 was just the same thing with a new year old on the box. However, to your point, I don't think a video game would reflect those kind of real life problems. You are better off with skaters and scorers than goons, muckers, and defense minded players.

bure and mogilny were dynamite for three games with josef beranek. then bure tore his ACL and was out for the rest of the year. they both scored six points in those games.

To be fair, I *think* they often weren't healthy at the same time while they were Canucks.

both good points. What I recall is the lack of ice chemistry was noticed by management as well so they weren't played on the same line for that reason - although its likely the old axiom for secondary scoring play a factor.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
I haven't bought a copy of that since NHL 97 since 98 was just the same thing with a new year old on the box. However, to your point, I don't think a video game would reflect those kind of real life problems. You are better off with skaters and scorers than goons, muckers, and defense minded players.
You'd be surprised, the game has actually changed since 1997.

My point being there is no magic formula to building a successful NHL roster.

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
You'd be surprised, the game has actually changed since 1997.

My point being there is no magic formula to building a successful NHL roster.

right, and that's my point too - simply taking scorers undermines what it takes to build a winning team.

That World Cup or whatever it was called, had Joel Otto as the first line center with Brett Hull on wing and he was able to plow through all the scorers on Canada's team. Otto wasn't Gretzky or Lemieux. Canada could of used a guy like Joel Otto in spite of their loaded scorers (the US team lacked depth beyond that of course). In time we had Trevor as center and we briefly had Bert in the middle for size before Crow put him back on wing to get him score, which eventually he did of course.

That said, those early Penguins Lemieux teams were almost all mostly scorers. But like the Oilers, they needed to acquire at least some defense to win cups.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
They are doing the "Top 21" thing for all the Canadian teams over on TSN.ca now. The All-Time 7: TSN's Montreal Canadiens All-Time Team - TSN.ca

Started with the Canadiens, which is fair. Has to have one player from the current roster, 2 goalie positions, 6 D, 12 F, and one additional "foundational player". Has to have at least one defensive line, and one shutdown D pairing, and the lines have to "work". All players have to have played at least 225 games for the team in question, and they are slotted into the position they played most on the team. Also naming a GM and coach.

Predictions?
Goalies will surely be Lu and Kirk.
Choice from the current roster would be Edler I think. EP hasn't played 225 games yet.
Foundational player? Part of the fabric, the DNA of the team? Almost certainly Linden or Smyl, more likely Smyl as Linden probably makes the top 12 forwards outright.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I got a little bored and put together a highlight reel of Kirk McLean. Roberto Luongo is the top Canucks’ goalie of all time, but Kirk McLean definitely deserves to be in the conversation. Every single one of these clips is from playoff action.

Dissonance Jr

Oct 6, 2017
Larionov's best offensive NHL season was as a Canuck, for what it's worth...

I think technically it was 1995-'96 with Detroit, although I was more assuming his peak was probably in the USSR.

But I agree he was very good for us alongside Bure/Adams and I definitely wish we could've kept him (as I recall the Canucks wanted to re-sign him but there was some weird transfer agreement thing where the Soviet Union was allowed to confiscate a big chunk of his salary as long as he played with us so he left... might have those details wrong).

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
sedins/Bure
nazzy/morrison/bertuzzi
adams/linden/courtnall
miller/kesler/burrows

Honorable mention:nick bonino/cliff ronning/smyl

Ohlund/salo
prime erhoff/edler
jyrki lumme/jeff brown

Hm:dave babych/willie mitchell/dan hamhuis/kevin bieska

goalies: captain kirk and luongo.

infinitemile

Oct 8, 2017
Firstly, these always expose how poor the all-time Canucks defense is lol. Secondly, can't believe how many of you are putting other dudes on the Sedin's wing?

How about sticking with what's worked? Plus a makeshift 4th line. Here's my setup:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Naslund - Morrison - Bertuzzi
JT Miller - Pettersson - Boeser
Moginly - Kesler - Bure

Hughes - Ehrhoff
Edler - Salo?
Jovanovski - Ohlund

Luongo
Schneider

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I've thought about this a bit and despite skill or whatever I don't know how I can come up with a top six defense that doesn't include Kevin Bieksa.

jonnygf40

Oct 23, 2009
Let's see here ...

Naslund Pettersson Bure
Sedin Sedin Mogilny
Tanti Linden Bertuzzi
Burrows Kesler Smyl
Skriko

Hughes Salo
Ohlund Jovanovski
Tallon Bieksa
Hamhuis

Luongo
McLean

(I left off players like Vaive, Neely, Jeff Brown because of their short tenure, or they weren't really stars in Vancouver)

Last edited:

jonnygf40

Oct 23, 2009
I've thought about this a bit and despite skill or whatever I don't know how I can come up with a top six defense that doesn't include Kevin Bieksa.
Lol ... that's how bad our defensive corp has been throughout our history.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Firstly, these always expose how poor the all-time Canucks defense is lol. Secondly, can't believe how many of you are putting other dudes on the Sedin's wing?

How about sticking with what's worked? Plus a makeshift 4th line. Here's my setup:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Naslund - Morrison - Bertuzzi
JT Miller - Pettersson - Boeser
Moginly - Kesler - Bure

Hughes - Ehrhoff
Edler - Salo?
Jovanovski - Ohlund

Luongo
Schneider

Bure, 4th line? No Lumme? I like Boeser, but there's a lot of other candidates (Tanti, Gradin, Sundstrom, Smyl and... Linden!?!?!)

I'm not sure how you've managed to construct an all-time Canucks team without Linden. I don't want to make fun of you but...c'mon. You're missing two of the players to have their jerseys retired here.

rypper

Dec 22, 2006
Lol ... that's how bad our defensive corp has been throughout our history.

I don't know if it's that, or just that while in his prime, Bieksa was no slouch offensively, but he more then makes up for his lack of skill in comparison to others by being an ultimate team guy. Bieksa is kind of synonymous with the Canucks to me.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Should be noted there were rules:

□ Team: two goalies, six defencemen, 12 forwards and one foundational player
□ Members must have played at least 225 games with the Canucks
□ At least one member of the all-time team must be from the 2019-20 Canucks
□ Players are slotted in positions they played with the Canucks
□ One line must be comprised of defensive standouts, aka a checking line
□ One pair must be comprised of suffocating defenders, aka a shutdown pair
□ Lines and pairs are put together because they fit together, not because they are necessarily the first, second and third best at their positions
□ Foundational players are defined as players part of the fabric – the DNA – of a franchise
□ Last cuts by position are exactly as advertised, the players who just missed selection to the all-time team

It's fine. I'm not sure the Sedins and Bure fit stylistically but whatever. Courtnall and Tanti could be subbed out for a number of other players but I'm don't have any major quarrel with them being there. Would replace Lidster with Snepts but handedness makes it difficult. That he's not even a final cut is atrocious. Don't have a good read on guys like Lidster(RD) and Kearns(LD) over Salo(RD) or Bieksa(RD) so I'm fine with the guys I know. Crazy to think we had Ohlund, Salo, Bieksa, and Edler all at the same time.

They have AV as the coach with Gillis and Quinn co-GMing.

The final cuts were:
G: Richard Brodeur, 1980-87
LD: Ed Jovanovski, 1999-06
RD: Kevin McCarthy, 1978-84
LW: Greg Adams, 1987-95
C: Cliff Ronning, 1991-96
RW: Alex Mogilny, 1995-00

Jovanovski and McCarthy continually get overrated but that's the way of offensive defencemen. The tough choices for me would have been Adams vs Courtnall and Mogilny over Tanti. Just don't have a solid read on everything pre-1997.

Last edited:

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
“One pair must be comprised of suffocating defenders, aka a shutdown pair”

which pair was this?

At one point in there careers both Edler(Tanev) and Bieksa(Mitchell) were part of a "shutdown pair". Unfortunately for either of them their role was not really the shutdown part of that. Of that group, would have gone Ohlund-Salo and called them the shutdown pair.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
That all-time defense is the definition of "ok". Not great, but decent throughout. Mitchell, Hamhuis and Tanev could have had a look-in on the defensive shut-down pairing for sure, but Edler has to be in.

Courtnall, though I liked him a lot, was the only other question mark for me. Adams would probably get the nod over him in my books, but it's close. And it's awfully hard to keep Mogilny out, but Tanti really does deserve a spot.

Also not sure the Sedins and Bure line would work.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Mogilny-Pettersson-Bure
Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Naslund-Morrison-Bertuzzi
J.T. Miller-Kesler-Linden

Smyl

Edler-Bieksa
Ohlund-Salo
Hughes-Reinhart

Jovanovski

Luongo
Mclean

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Courtnall’s got a good argument for being one of the better playoff performers this team ever had. 61 points in 65 Vancouver Canucks post season games is impressive. Adams scored some watershed goals in team history, but Courtnall was the superior - and more consistent - player, IMO.

My all time roster would have Mogilny on it over Tanti, but I admit to not being able to see much of Tanti’s play - and none of it in his prime. I think it’s kind of tough to overlook the only other 50 goal scorer in the franchise’s history other than Bure, but Tanti was definitely a bright spot in a barren time for the franchise.

rypper

Dec 22, 2006
I think Button/Dryden put together a good team. Glad to see them get the goaltending right.

I think anyone picking Mclean over Lou (Moj, Don Taylor, etc) are people who probably blamed him for 2011 as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad