Speculation: What would you do this off season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I honestly wonder how hard Hextall is working the phones right now. He said it usually is pretty quiet until about a week before the deadline and a week before the draft. Not much is probably happening around the league as teams are meeting with their amateur scouts and pro scouts and sorting out which players are there for drafting and which ones they would be willing to make moves for.

Does anyone know when our scouts are due in for their meetings? I thought I saw it somewhere but can't remember?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
With 7 picks in the top 100, and maybe more if Hextall can flip a defensemen or two before the draft for picks, trading down makes little sense unless they have a bunch of guys rated equally at #7 and someone wants to overpay to move up a few slots.

They're building organizational depth, you don't want to pass on quality, hopefully you won't be drafting this high for a couple decades.

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
Given our recent announcement, here are some possible acquisitions with UND connections:

T.J. Oshie - He seems like a likely candidate to be dealt in the Blues re-tool.
Drew Stafford - Pending UFA. Seemed to rebound a bit in Winnipeg.
Matt Frattin - Cheap/free. Possible waiver bait. Could be an effective bottom 6 winger.
Danny Kristo - Cheap/free. Possible UFA or waiver claim. Stuck in AHL, unable to distinguish himself. Maybe Hakstol knows how to utilize his skills. Low risk.
Corban Knight - Cheap/free. Unable to make the jump to NHL. Possible bottom 6 potential.
Zane McIntyre - Current UND star goalie. The Bruins may trade his rights rather than risk losing him to UFA. It could depend on what their new GM plans on doing with Malcolm Subban.
Jordan Schmaltz - Similarly, St. Louis may deal his rights rather than risk losing him to UFA. Very doubtful, but possible.

GingerFetish

Feb 26, 2013
Sucks that we have so many other younger skilled forwards. :sarcasm:

Oshie would be amazing for the shootout and picking up pts. but he's 28 and everyone we have at C/RW is that or younger and produce very similarly. (ala Simmonds who is 2 years younger on a better contract.)

Last edited:

KrazyKat

May 27, 2013
Vancouver
Laughton + L. Schenn to STL for T.J. Oshie
1st (7) + Andrew Macdonald (20% Retained) to Arizona for 1st (3rd)
Re-Sign VandeVelde and Ryan White
Draft Dylan Strome + Brandon Carlo

Raffl-Giroux-Voracek
Oshie-Couturier-Simmonds
Read-Strome-Schenn
White-Bellemare-VandeVelde
Umberger

Del Zotto-Schultz
Morin-Streit
Gostisbehere-Gudas
Manning

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
Laughton + L. Schenn to STL for T.J. Oshie
1st (7) + Andrew Macdonald (20% Retained) to Arizona for 1st (3rd)
Re-Sign VandeVelde and Ryan White
Draft Dylan Strome + Brandon Carlo

Raffl-Giroux-Voracek
Oshie-Couturier-Simmonds
Read-Strome-Schenn
White-Bellemare-VandeVelde
Umberger

Del Zotto-Schultz
Morin-Streit
Gostisbehere-Gudas
Manning

you would take Strome over anyone else not named Eichel or McDavid? And to play 3rd line center and have Raffl remain our top line LW

flyguy

Sean Cubeturier
Dec 28, 2004
Anchorage, Alaska
Given our recent announcement, here are some possible acquisitions with UND connections:

T.J. Oshie - He seems like a likely candidate to be dealt in the Blues re-tool.
Drew Stafford - Pending UFA. Seemed to rebound a bit in Winnipeg.
Matt Frattin - Cheap/free. Possible waiver bait. Could be an effective bottom 6 winger.
Danny Kristo - Cheap/free. Possible UFA or waiver claim. Stuck in AHL, unable to distinguish himself. Maybe Hakstol knows how to utilize his skills. Low risk.
Corban Knight - Cheap/free. Unable to make the jump to NHL. Possible bottom 6 potential.
Zane McIntyre - Current UND star goalie. The Bruins may trade his rights rather than risk losing him to UFA. It could depend on what their new GM plans on doing with Malcolm Subban.
Jordan Schmaltz - Similarly, St. Louis may deal his rights rather than risk losing him to UFA. Very doubtful, but possible.

Drew Stafford would do quite well on the top line, me thinks. I'd expect he'd get around 3-4 mill on the market.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Can he play LW? and hes had some really poor seasons of late. His last season over 35 points is 2011-2012 regarding Stafford

flyguy

Sean Cubeturier
Dec 28, 2004
Anchorage, Alaska
Can he play LW? and hes had some really poor seasons of late. His last season over 35 points is 2011-2012 regarding Stafford

Hm, I thought he's played on the left side in the past, but I could very well be wrong. He's had poor seasons on a very poor team. He looked world's better on a better team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad