Speculation: What Would You Do This Off-Season? Part Two

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Freidman saying Jeff Skinner name might be out there.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-trade-talk-beginning-to-heat-up/

Skinner’s name is out there, I think, because, unlike some of his teammates, he does not have no-trade protection. His cap hit is $5.725M. He’s 23, one year removed from a 33-goal season. Health is a concern, but he has played 190 of Carolina’s past 212 games. You can see why other teams would query. Former GM Jim Rutherford did explore the market on Skinner at least once.

Also, something I would seriously consider if we can move a few more bodies is this.

Another Hurricane rumour is the club would consider packaging Alexander Semin with the fifth overall pick to get his contract off the books. History suggests that is very unlikely. Last year, Calgary said it would acquire Cam Ward as long as the seventh selection was included with it. GM Ron Francis declined. As much as the organization would love to move Semin, this draft pick is way too important to give away in a salary dump. It’s got to be a significant, legit hockey trade if at all.

I would take his contract in a second if we get assets coming back with it. Play him in a scoring role with a defensively sound player like Couts and maybe we see both shine? It would be something I would explore no doubt though.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I wouldn't mind Semin just because I'd love to hear Keith Jones biting his tongue for 3 years

Friulian Flyers

Apr 9, 2007
Maniago, Italy
From Eklund:
On Mikko Koivu....

The Canadiens are still very interested and the Flyers are also jumping into this I am told. It would appear that any Koivu trade would go down at the draft or after...not likely prior.

Not sure what to make of this. Eklund had seemingly been more accurate with Flyers rumors in the past, but with Hextall's tight ship, I'm doubting the believability of this.

Last edited:

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
I'm a big fan of Koivu, but he is not worth his cap hit. If they're willing to sell low on him and take back one of our bad contracts, then sure, but otherwise, no thanks.

EDIT: Also, I would be a big fan of Semin + 5th for MacDonald + 7th.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Whenever Eklund wants some hits, just throw out the Canadiens and Flyers. Canadiens brings people out in droves, and people feel he has a shred of credibility when it comes to the Flyers. The well never runs dry

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Whenever Eklund wants some hits, just throw out the Canadiens and Flyers. Canadiens brings people out in droves, and people feel he has a shred of credibility when it comes to the Flyers. The well never runs dry

For which I can't fathom why.

It's Eklund. That's all you need to know about his "rumours".

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
One thing he did when the Flyers signed Michael Leighton to backup Bryz was come out 10 minutes before and say something like "the Flyers are bringing back a VERY familiar name," we all knew what that meant, but he still didn't even want to say his name just in case it was wrong :laugh:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I'm a big fan of Koivu, but he is not worth his cap hit. If they're willing to sell low on him and take back one of our bad contracts, then sure, but otherwise, no thanks.

That's where I am at & really the only way I could see Hextall legitimately going through with a trade for him.

If that's the case than it does have some upside in regards to our lineup flexibility. He is reliable defensively as well as at the faceoff dot which could take pressure off Giroux.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Cant say how there would be any interest in Koivu from the Flyers unless Minnesota was willing to take MacDonald or Lecavaliers contract back, and that just makes no sense. Koivu is the type of guy you add for secondary scoring when youre contending.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
They save $5,000,000.

I'm assuming you mean 5 Mill in real money.

I can't see that being it for Carolina. I think other team's can definitely offer much better. If anything, I'd be willing to swap Vinny for Semin straight up. No need for retaining since we're getting an actual, usable player at a position we need.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
On the main boards, I said:

#5 and Semin

For

#7, Umberger and Pronger.

It saves them 11 million in real money and since they are not a cap team, who cares about Pronger.

We get a LW to try and resurrect and move up to 5 to get the guy we want.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I'm assuming you mean 5 Mill in real money.

I can't see that being it for Carolina. I think other team's can definitely offer much better. If anything, I'd be willing to swap Vinny for Semin straight up. No need for retaining since we're getting an actual, usable player at a position we need.

Usable based on what? His last season was no better than Vinny's.

Adding $2.5m in cap for three seasons is a terrible idea with all the big raises that Voracek, Couturier, Schenn and Raffl need next summer.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ

Adding $2.5m in cap for three seasons is a terrible idea with all the big raises that Voracek, Couturier, Schenn and Raffl need next summer.

He was playing on a pretty awful team. I don't expect him to put great numbers, but I think he could be a 40-50 point player on this team. He had 86 points in his last 109 games before last season. Do you really think that he is finished because he had a down year playing with the offensive juggernauts Jeff Skinner and Riley Nash (and only getting 83 minutes of PP time)?

EDIT: Health would be my biggest concern. Looks like he never played a full 82.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008

Based off of nearly every one of his previous seasons. I also believe Matt Read can be pretty successful despite his awful last season.

I agree on needing to re-sign those other players, but to me there's still no comparison to he and Vinny in usability on this team (for sure).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad