What would you do as GM of the Ducks?

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
Who is suggesting that?
No ducks fans are.

No of course not- I can't imagine a Ducks fan doing that (except maybe Exit lol). Several other folks were though - which is why I was speculating that they were fans of a team that would really want him.

nuxnuxnux

May 15, 2011
I'd be completely tearing it down.

Getzlaf, Lindholm, Fowler, Silfverberg, etc. all gone. I'd include Perry/Kesler as well but they have negative value at this point and since I'd be planning to go full rebuild I wouldn't worry about dumping them as those cap hits can contribute to reaching the floor.

The only guys I'd be keeping on that roster right now are Rakell, Kase, Ritchie, Montour, Manson, and Gibson. You have an elite #1G who is still quite young, Two Top 4 Dmen, and 3 Top 6 forwards.

Silfverberg goes at the deadline for a 2nd + B level prospect. Lindholm and Fowler go at the draft for 1st's + A level prospects. Getzlaf goes in the summer with some salary retained for a 1st + Prospect. Henrique goes in the summer for a futures package as well.

Draft 3 times in the first round of the 2019 draft including one Top 6/7 pick. Build around those three picks, plus Comtois/Steel/Jones/Megna/Mahura and the A-Level prospects you get fomr Lindholm and Fowler. Tank the 2020 season and Pick Top 5 again.

You could have a playoff quality team in ~3 years from now if you tear it down, focus on building through the draft and actually draft well, which the Ducks are certainly capable of.
Why are you keeping 27 year old Manson but trading 24 year old lindholm?

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
People under estimate how bad RC is, good chance we will be fine next season.

Kesler/eaves need to retire.
Getz is fine people over reacting, was literally ppg player last year.
Perry skating isnt great but his shot and offensive instincts are still good that hell be an acceptable player, just over paid.

Trade silf, get value on expiring contract.
Id look to move fowler, still has value but most expendable player on back end.
If price is right id move henrique too.

Our d + goalie are still very young and talented.

Continue to draft well, and develop larsson, mahura, steel, terry, jones, comtois, lundestrom dostal

If 2 of henrique/fowler/silf get moved and kesler and eaves end up retired or ltir... id take a run at duechene or panarin if they hit ufa

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
People under estimate how bad RC is, good chance we will be fine next season.

Kesler/eaves need to retire.
Getz is fine people over reacting, was literally ppg player last year.
Perry skating isnt great but his shot and offensive instincts are still good that hell be an acceptable player, just over paid.

Trade silf, get value on expiring contract.
Id look to move fowler, still has value but most expendable player on back end.
If price is right id move henrique too.

Our d + goalie are still very young and talented.

Continue to draft well, and develop larsson, mahura, steel, terry, jones, comtois, lundestrom dostal

If 2 of henrique/fowler/silf get moved and kesler and eaves end up retired or ltir... id take a run at duechene or panarin if they hit ufa
No chance Kesler or Eaves retire. No one is giving up $20 million. Whether they end up on ltir that’s pending their physical and medical reports respectively.

Are they going to contend before the expansion draft? They need an infusion of talent and speed in the forward group. They have young guys who can play next season but how good will they be?

If they can’t contend in the present then I would actively look to move Fowler. They have Larsson and Mahura who are both left shots, along with Lindholm. Oldest of the group but only 27 this year but the highest cap hit. If you can’t contend, have to make sure you can post ED, and you do that by maximizing your assets, ensuring you don’t lose anything of great value.

As for JS, he’s been one of the teams top 4 wingers. So, looking st the roster of who is coming up, do you have guys to replace him? If yes, I’d say move him at the tdl. But if the rumours on Henrique are true, and you are getting offers on him, I’d move him even for a lower return than what Silfverberg would garner to free up the cap space. Then I would sign Silfverberg.

Reactions: Getz2perry

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
No chance Kesler or Eaves retire. No one is giving up $20 million. Whether they end up on ltir that’s pending their physical and medical reports respectively.

Are they going to contend before the expansion draft? They need an infusion of talent and speed in the forward group. They have young guys who can play next season but how good will they be?

If they can’t contend in the present then I would actively look to move Fowler. They have Larsson and Mahura who are both left shots, along with Lindholm. Oldest of the group but only 27 this year but the highest cap hit. If you can’t contend, have to make sure you can post ED, and you do that by maximizing your assets, ensuring you don’t lose anything of great value.

As for JS, he’s been one of the teams top 4 wingers. So, looking st the roster of who is coming up, do you have guys to replace him? If yes, I’d say move him at the tdl. But if the rumours on Henrique are true, and you are getting offers on him, I’d move him even for a lower return than what Silfverberg would garner to free up the cap space. Then I would sign Silfverberg.
I agree with most of this post. As for Silfverberg replacement, we can roll with Kase- Perry - Terry - Sprong - Sheerwood. I somewhat agree with Henrique but center is much harder for us to replace right now(not including 2019 potential draft pick) if we move Henrique our center depth is Getz/kesler/shore/rawney…. with Steel potentially ready for nhl job next season, and lundestrom likely coming back to America to play. But with keslers drop off, your looking at potentially Getz- Shore - steel - Rawney … not exactly appealing(granted that could be fixed @ draft), and I would like to see Kossila a longer look with the ducks... even if its at a winger position rather than center... I think hes got untapped nhl potential.

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
I don't think the Ducks are that bad. New coach and they are a playoff team IMO.

I wish they would go away but they're probably gonna win the lottery or something this year. >_<

One important thing to note is there are a lot of teams in the west in a similar position to the Ducks. There are not 8 good teams in the West, so I think patience is important. You could try to tank and accidentally make the playoffs

Last edited:

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
They need a complete change of philosophy. This "big and tough" mantra is over. Focus on speed and skill.

Jake Muzzin said it best a couple of weeks ago...this team is still too focused on years past in trying to grind down teams

Keystone

Apr 30, 2011
Manitoba
I’d sit Getz down and say it’s full rebuild time. Do you wanna stay or move on? The options of where he would go could be limited but it only takes a couple of options to create a good return. He is still a real good player who will generate a good return and his leaving will help with a 2-3 year tank

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad