What would you do as GM of the Ducks?

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I see what other Ducks fans want to do everyday on the Ducks board, but I'm curious what neutral fans would do to turn the team around.

There isn't alot that really needs fixing as they still have a good team with some good prospects along the way.

Getting the right coach and fine tuning it a little bit and they could be playoff bound as soon as next year again

Reactions: Sean Garrity

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Call Teemu and just spend my days eating at his restaurant. I'd also try to sell old guys away and start rebuilding from the scratch.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
1) this will sound odd, but I would start by riding out Kesler's contract. According to EvolvingWild's GAR model, he is the worst player in the league with a comfortable margin, so he is not only valueless in a trade, but valueless on the ice too. There is little sense in giving up futures to get rid of his deal, and considering his NMC, it is unlikely that GMs would want to risk it even then. Therefore, after giving him some games with a new coach to prove himself, he is sticked to the pressbox for good unless he proves himself as a viable NHLer. Maybe there is something to get figured out before the upcoming Seattle expansion that would help us at that point.

2) consider trading away Perry and maybe even Getzlaf, if an opportunity arises. Anaheim is not in a huge rush to trade away these two for cap space, so unless someone wants to accelerate this rebuild, there is value in keeping these guys around the young guns and insulating them too. Their NMCs might prevent any deal from happening regardless.

3) Figure out a new home for Silfverberg. He is 28, probably eyeing for a raise, and the team is not going to compete for the next while. Any amount of on-ice value you're ever going to get out of him will likely be diminished by his AAV. As a rental, he should get us a decent package at the deadline. He is likely replaceable from within, too. A move like this makes a lot of sense. Apply this to other UFAs as well, although I cannot imagine the demand being overwhelming.

4) As Anaheim always drafts well, I'm skipping that part and moving on to UFAs. Sign depth guys only, period. Ideally, you go for guys who can step in and fill the place of a prospect in case they don't work out as expected. No need for any big names at this point.

5) Build the future around Rakell, Kase, Lindholm, Montour, and Gibson. Let the prospects enter that group of five if they prove themselves worthy of it, but from this day on, those five are the ones who I'd keep building around. A bit of lottery luck would ease things a lot - Dach or Cozens would certainly do wonders to an aging center crop.

Got One Cup

Jun 3, 2008
Time for a rebuild. Already have some solid young talent, suck for a couple yrs to add to it. IMO one of the better drafting teams in the NHL, trust in it.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
1) this will sound odd, but I would start by riding out Kesler's contract. According to EvolvingWild's GAR model, he is the worst player in the league with a comfortable margin, so he is not only valueless in a trade, but valueless on the ice too. There is little sense in giving up futures to get rid of his deal, and considering his NMC, it is unlikely that GMs would want to risk it even then. Therefore, after giving him some games with a new coach to prove himself, he is sticked to the pressbox for good unless he proves himself as a viable NHLer. Maybe there is something to get figured out before the upcoming Seattle expansion that would help us at that point.

2) consider trading away Perry and maybe even Getzlaf, if an opportunity arises. Anaheim is not in a huge rush to trade away these two for cap space, so unless someone wants to accelerate this rebuild, there is value in keeping these guys around the young guns and insulating them too. Their NMCs might prevent any deal from happening regardless.

3) Figure out a new home for Silfverberg. He is 28, probably eyeing for a raise, and the team is not going to compete for the next while. Any amount of on-ice value you're ever going to get out of him will likely be diminished by his AAV. As a rental, he should get us a decent package at the deadline. He is likely replaceable from within, too. A move like this makes a lot of sense. Apply this to other UFAs as well, although I cannot imagine the demand being overwhelming.

4) As Anaheim always drafts well, I'm skipping that part and moving on to UFAs. Sign depth guys only, period. Ideally, you go for guys who can step in and fill the place of a prospect in case they don't work out as expected. No need for any big names at this point.

5) Build the future around Rakell, Kase, Lindholm, Montour, and Gibson. Let the prospects enter that group of five if they prove themselves worthy of it, but from this day on, those five are the ones who I'd keep building around. A bit of lottery luck would ease things a lot - Dach or Cozens would certainly do wonders to an aging center crop.

Pretty much this.

Start the dialogue with Getzlaf and Perry about finding new homes.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I'd be completely tearing it down.

Getzlaf, Lindholm, Fowler, Silfverberg, etc. all gone. I'd include Perry/Kesler as well but they have negative value at this point and since I'd be planning to go full rebuild I wouldn't worry about dumping them as those cap hits can contribute to reaching the floor.

The only guys I'd be keeping on that roster right now are Rakell, Kase, Ritchie, Montour, Manson, and Gibson. You have an elite #1G who is still quite young, Two Top 4 Dmen, and 3 Top 6 forwards.

Silfverberg goes at the deadline for a 2nd + B level prospect. Lindholm and Fowler go at the draft for 1st's + A level prospects. Getzlaf goes in the summer with some salary retained for a 1st + Prospect. Henrique goes in the summer for a futures package as well.

Draft 3 times in the first round of the 2019 draft including one Top 6/7 pick. Build around those three picks, plus Comtois/Steel/Jones/Megna/Mahura and the A-Level prospects you get fomr Lindholm and Fowler. Tank the 2020 season and Pick Top 5 again.

You could have a playoff quality team in ~3 years from now if you tear it down, focus on building through the draft and actually draft well, which the Ducks are certainly capable of.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Tank. Perry & Getzlaf come off the books July 1st, 2021, Kesler the following July. Plenty of cap space in 3-4 years when the next crop on ELCs need their new deals.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
I dont see the Ducks moving Getzlaf ever. Maybe Perry...but thats an if too. They earned their stripes there

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad