What would you do as GM of the Ducks?

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
There isn't alot that really needs fixing as they still have a good team with some good prospects along the way.

Getting the right coach and fine tuning it a little bit and they could be playoff bound as soon as next year again

This.

They have a ton of really good pieces. This will be a lot easier to turn around quickly than say the Oilers or Sens.

Hiring the correct coach is key.

Reactions: snowave

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I see what other Ducks fans want to do everyday on the Ducks board, but I'm curious what neutral fans would do to turn the team around.
I’d let Getzlaf of the 4 older vets. What is Eaves health? 1 more season at $3.15? Can I spend that with him on ltir or can he return?

Leaves Kesler and Perry. Combined have cap hit of $15.5 million. Value is down around $8.5 million of what they really contribute. So, they are the biggest question. Kesler at 50% costs $3.45 million per and is now a checking 3rd line center with limited offense. Can they move off him if they do that? Perry, could use a fresh start as well. But will either want to leave? If no, then you are kind of stuck with them.

Have to lean on the kids of steel, Terry, Jones, comtois, etc. Take next season to see what they bring. How quickly they contribute tells you whether you can turn it around quickly.

D, short term and long term planning is key. They have 6 guys who would be eligible for the Seattle ED. Both Larsson and Mahura along with the big 4? If they can’t contend in the next 2 years do they try to protect their D core and move 1 of the big 4 to get an exempt player? Like Montour for Sandin just as an example?

Protecting 4d is possible with rackell and steel, and terry. Decide between Ritchie and Jones.

Goaltending is good.

All starts either whether either Kesler or Perry are movable to see if you have some cap space flexibility. And how the young forwards do tells you how you should play with the D to handle today and protect for the ED.

Leafblooded

Jul 27, 2012
T.
Getzlaf, Manson and Kesler at 50% to Toronto for Kadri, Zaitsev, Jonsson and Bracco/2nd round pick.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Put feelers out on guys with value (Lindholm, Getz, Manson, Fowler, Silf), and make deals before the deadline if a team is willing to overpay. If not, wait until the draft/summer to make deals. Rakell should be off limits.

Buy out/ltir Kesler in the summer, and see if Perry can bounce back to end this season. If he can, he may be able to get dumped in a deal.

They need a rebuild/retool either way.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Getting rid of Carlyle was a great start...... I do not know much about Corsi, but I know that Carlyle doesn't either.

Bring in Quennville and see how things go.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
sell everyone that is over the age of 25, keep Lindholm, Rakell and Fowler, draft a great player and go from there

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Pray for a compliance buyout.
The CBA expires, with early opt out in Sept 2020. The 20-21 season is the final 1 for Getzlaf and Perry. And in the last CBA, when the compliance buyout was introduced, it wasn't active immediately, meaning that in the shortened 12-13 season, teams didn't use it in January. Buyout period is in June.

So, with Perry/Getzlaf off the books, with only Getzlaf likely to get an extension, it leaves Kesler. I doubt the Ducks would be hard pressed to get around his $2.3 million per year cap hit for 2 years.

What matters to the Ducks is what to do in the next 2 seasons. I break it down into, pre and post Seattle Expansion Draft.

Can you contend before the ED? If the answer is NO, then you have to preserve the D core, assuming that Larsson and Mahura are deemed valuable enough to protect. Move one of the current top 4 guys. Likely either Fowler or Manson. Get back a F or D who would be exempt.

If you believe that you can contend, what is that based on? Hope that Perry/Kesler can return to their 30 year old selves? Eaves health returns to normal? All young players like Terry, Jones, Steel, Comtois, etc. perform well? Have to be realistic in your exceptions of aging vets and rookies.

No need to blow it up in terms of dealing your best assets. Figure out what your 30 something year olds can actually offer. Don't be hopeful. Be realistic.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I see talent that does not know what to do with their talent ,that goes with coaching. There is no Chemistry with the lines and the D who most have talent and are good imo just don’t have a game plan. Also need to find out what to do with Kesler and Perry unless they can recover from their injuries and start making a positive difference in the line up. Kesler has become a major liabilty out there. Scoring drying up is one thing but if you are still defending well and killing penalties well then there is value there.

Like to see this team make small tweaks and play under a brand new head coach. If it’s the same results, blow it up kinda like what the Rangers are doing. There is too much skill on this team that should just be thrown overboard without it being worked out first.

pucksakes666

Mar 8, 2018
Play Kesler 22+ Minutes a night he hit 75 points back on the day. Increase the workload till he's hurt and can go on LTIR

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Tank without cleaning out the cupboards too much. Ride out the rest of the Getzlaf/Perry/Kesler contracts and at least get mentorship out of their presence. If you hit big on one pick over the next three drafts you're in good shape moving forward.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
You've got to figure that half the people suggesting trading Lindholm to start a rebuild are fans of teams that would be first in line for the bidding. Because a 25 year old 1D on a fantastic contract seems like the kind of piece you keep to build on. Not the thing you throw out to "start over"

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
You've got to figure that half the people suggesting trading Lindholm to start a rebuild are fans of teams that would be first in line for the bidding. Because a 25 year old 1D on a fantastic contract seems like the kind of piece you keep to build on. Not the thing you throw out to "start over"

Who is suggesting that?
No ducks fans are.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Just beg the league to let you play the caps more than twice a season. I'm pretty sure like 50% of the ducks GF this season are from the 2 games vs the caps lol

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I like how fans of other teams lump Getzlaf in the same category as Perry and Kesler in terms of value. Getzlaf is still very much worth his contract and is our best forward and still a (low end) 1C. There’s no need for the Ducks to move him.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
The following is an accurate post from the Ducks board:

Screenshot_20190217-222311_Chrome.jpg

So what would I do?

Ride out the season, see if Kesler gets healthier, re-up Silfverberg, explore the bargain bin market for a guy who can play like Andrew Cogliano, and hire Joel Quenneville.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Getting rid of Carlyle was a great start...... I do not know much about Corsi, but I know that Carlyle doesn't either.

Bring in Quennville and see how things go.

No way they pay a coach 6-8 mil a year for min 4 years. The organization is on a budget that doesn't include one of the highest paid coaches in the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad