What would you be willing to trade to acquire Jack Eichel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Yeah that's true. He did already turn Skinner in to a $9m player for a year :laugh:

But we do actually have a 1st line offensive talent in Laine, so op's idea of moving him and placing 2 prospects on 1st line just seemed ridiculous to me
Oh I dont disagree. The giving up on Laine after a year on a completely out of sync teams bothers me greatly. Eichel and Laine could do unreal damage, you make the $ work elsewhere

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Oh I dont disagree. The giving up on Laine after a year on a completely out of sync teams bothers me greatly. Eichel and Laine could do unreal damage, you make the $ work elsewhere
To be fair, at least some of the folks giving up on Laine already at least have well-reasoned justification for doing so (advanced stats indicators in prior years in Winnipeg). I still don't agree with those conclusions, but at least they have some sound evidential basis for their position.

The antiproselytization does get a little irritating tho.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I'd be willing to trade Korpi-Texier-and Chicago's 2nd rounder with the condition Eichel plays 20 games with us this season or our 2023 2nd rounder if he plays 40 games with us in 2022-2023. Anything more than that and I'm out.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Marchenko and Chinakhov both turning into 1st line wingers is very very optimistic. The reality is that prospects rarely turn out to be as good as fans think they will be. We will be very fortunate if one of them turns into a top 6 winger.

I should have put in my normal disclaimer "lines are for chemistry reasons only".

If you just want to see it like a depth chart then write it like this:

Voracek - Eichel - Bjorkstrand
Domi - Sillinger - Chinakhov
Marchenko - Roslovic - Bemstrom
Robinson - Jenner/Dunne - Foudy

Marchenko and Chinakhov are the right type of wingers for Eichel, whether they're ultimately top line caliber wingers or not is something I am agnostic about.

Yeah that's true. He did already turn Skinner in to a $9m player for a year :laugh:

But we do actually have a 1st line offensive talent in Laine, so op's idea of moving him and placing 2 prospects on 1st line just seemed ridiculous to me

At 5v5 Laine is not one of our top two wingers (I'm happy to make that case if you want to hear it, I don't know if that would be a contentious point or not). And Eichel is an elite powerplay player that happens to play the same position as Laine on the left half-wall. So it just feels like a poor investment to pay Laine a $9m x 8 or whatever it might cost. If we can move him for a top pair RD that would add great balance to the lineup.

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
Any other asset outside of Werenski and Laine. Zach is locked in, Laine can make the team win if used correctly, and it looks like he will finally be used correctly to do so.

Eichel is the #1 center Jackets need but are there any reasonable pieces for Buffalo?

Reactions: CPTN71

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Korpisalo, Texier, Voronkov, 1st. (Top 5 protected)

I'm good with that, but don't think Kevyn Adams even responds to this. IMO Buffalo would need our next two 1sts & I just wouldn't do that for a player with a serious neck injury

The next two drafts are very deep & similar to 2004-2005. We screwed the pooch in those drafts don't want to do it again

Last edited:

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
\At 5v5 Laine is not one of our top two wingers (I'm happy to make that case if you want to hear it, I don't know if that would be a contentious point or not). And Eichel is an elite powerplay player that happens to play the same position as Laine on the left half-wall. So it just feels like a poor investment to pay Laine a $9m x 8 or whatever it might cost. If we can move him for a top pair RD that would add great balance to the lineup.

If you really believe that Jarmo would trade what it takes to get Jack Eichel and then not figure out how to use Eichel, Laine, and Bjork on the same power play.. guys shift positions whenever necessary. The better argument is that Eichel has been more of a scorer than a passer, but this injury may change the way he plays the centre position going forward. Those resources on a PP would be ridiculous, hell I would double shift them on the PP if I had too. Goodness throw in Voracek, and a heavy shot on the point and that would be Gold Jerry!!

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
If you really believe that Jarmo would trade what it takes to get Jack Eichel and then not figure out how to use Eichel, Laine, and Bjork on the same power play.. guys shift positions whenever necessary. The better argument is that Eichel has been more of a scorer than a passer, but this injury may change the way he plays the centre position going forward. Those resources on a PP would be ridiculous, hell I would double shift them on the PP if I had too. Goodness throw in Voracek, and a heavy shot on the point and that would be Gold Jerry!!

You certainly could figure out how to use all of those players on the powerplay, but given that that PP shooting position is Laine's one significantly positive contribution to the team, it wouldn't be worth paying him $8-9m per to do it here if you have other guys who can also do that job. Let some other team pay him that doesn't have the best RH shooting lineup.

Edit: Here's another way to put it. Yes it would be great to have the best lineup of RH PP one-timers in the league. But that sort of luxury when you have other holes in your lineup is not justifiable. We still need to get a top pair RD.

Last edited:

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Edit: Here's another way to put it. Yes it would be great to have the best lineup of RH PP one-timers in the league. But that sort of luxury when you have other holes in your lineup is not justifiable. We still need to get a top pair RD.

& our Finn GM said after the draft was over and we had PLD, that he tried everything to move up and get Laine. Laine is 23, and Jarmo is a believer. Raise the roof baby..

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
& our Finn GM said after the draft was over and we had PLD, that he tried everything to move up and get Laine. Laine is 23, and Jarmo is a believer. Raise the roof baby..

Raise the roof? What decade is it?

I'd like us to be able to celebrate team success with Laine, not celebrate having Laine. People act like we get some trophy for having this kid on our team even when he's not helping.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
In addition to the Golden Knights, the Anaheim Ducks, Calgary Flames, Columbus Blue Jackets, San Jose Sharks and Minnesota Wild are among the teams still believed to have some level of interest in Eichel

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Friedman reported Buffalo is not willing to retain salary. Said the Avs may have had initial interest if Buffalo would retain but are basically out since that's not going to be part of the deal.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Friedman reported Buffalo is not willing to retain salary. Said the Avs may have had initial interest if Buffalo would retain but are basically out since that's not going to be part of the deal.

That definitely reduces the competition for the Jackets if they are indeed involved.

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City

I don't know how Buffalo doesn't retain some salary at least for this season. He isn't on their LTIR so they have to get a bunch of salary back like over 8 million I believe, to be cap compliant

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
A malcontent with a screwed up back who is sick of playing on losing teams and who has a big salary. What could possibly go wrong?

LoneFunyan

Proud of all the points
Nov 11, 2015

It's like they think they're trying to deal a player with no baggage whatsoever, when at this point Eichel is all baggage.

I cannot imagine any team other than Vegas being interested on Buffalo's rumored terms. A trade for Eichel would be a logical gamble since the 1sts are likely to be low, and they can afford to give up some blue chip prospects if they think Eichel is going to push them over the edge for the next 1-3 seasons.

Personally, I hope this whole drama drags out as long as possible - Buffalo will be one less team we'll have to worry about in 2 or 3 years if it does.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Wanting a different surgery (for his neck, not his back*) than the team doctors are recommending/allowing = "malcontent?"

lol come on man

I have no problem with calling Eichel a malcontent at this point. The question is whether it is innate to him or this is just what happens after you spend six years of your career playing for the Buffalo Sabres.

Reactions: Viqsi

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I have no problem with calling Eichel a malcontent at this point. The question is whether it is innate to him or this is just what happens after you spend six years of your career playing for the Buffalo Sabres.

lol

the guy wants a different surgery for his neck. that's literally it.

malcontent? haha the comedy in here today is too much

Reactions: CPTN71

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
lol

the guy wants a different surgery for his neck. that's literally it.

malcontent? haha the comedy in here today is too much

I think there's more enmity between him and the Sabres than that.

I'm not saying that Eichel is the problem here, I tend to think he'd be great with a fresh start.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Wanting a different surgery (for his neck, not his back*) than the team doctors are recommending/allowing = "malcontent?"

lol come on man

Wasn't even referring to the medical. I have no strong opinion on that part of the equation-except that his neck is screwed up and that's not a good thing independent of possible solutions/disagreements with team on that.

You must not have followed Jack Eichel much. I've listened to him since before he was drafted.

Yes, a malcontent. EZ call.

Last edited:

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Wouldn’t trade anything for him .. when are our fans going to quit wanting to try the same thing over and over .. not to mention his huge red flag medical issues .
Instead , you rebuild the proper way . Starting with last year . Focus on developing the young talent , playing the new system, taking your medicine with the ups and downs , landing a top 3 pick in this next draft . Trading Laine for a big return .. Domi for a first this yr .. and you stockpile a lot of young talent like Sillinger, Johnson , Wright or Lambert , etc, and let them all grow within the organization . You do that , and draft well, those players will want to stay here , because they feel it can grow into something special … rather than trading for a guy that most likely doesn’t want to be here , and sees our situation similiar to Buffalo . This thread is nonsense , with all due respect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad