Speculation: What would you be willing to give up for Kovalchuk?

DKQ

Generic User Title
Jun 17, 2012
Press Box
:amazed:

The septuagenarians are going to have to retire sooner than later and although Frazee is putting up good numbers in the AHL, at 25 he has yet to play a game in the NHL; but who knows, he could end up being your Schneider.

Devils fans have been spoiled with possibly the best goaltending ever for a couple of decades now. You don't want to risk Frazee not panning out and going through what us Canuck fans (and now TO fans :p:) went through for years and years.

It's not necessarily that we're super happy about our goaltending going forward, it's just that we are much more concerned about a lack of productive forwards, and if we are going to be giving up valuable pieces to address something, it will be for scoring rather than goaltending.

As far as what I would want from Vancouver for Kovy, it would probably be something like Booth+Jensen+Gaunce/Raymond+2014 1st. I would love if Higgins or Jensen could be included, but from what I know about the Nucks they play too prominent a role to be included along with Booth

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
It's not necessarily that we're super happy about our goaltending going forward, it's just that we are much more concerned about a lack of productive forwards, and if we are going to be giving up valuable pieces to address something, it will be for scoring rather than goaltending.

As far as what I would want from Vancouver for Kovy, it would probably be something like Booth+Jensen+Gaunce/Raymond+2014 1st. I would love if Higgins or Jensen could be included, but from what I know about the Nucks they play too prominent a role to be included along with Booth

Booth Jensen Raymond and a 2014 1st? Probably a done deal.

It's essentially Jensen++

And as much as I love Jensen, adding Kovy without deducting from our core would add a lot to the team.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Poor ol'Raymond. He's not a bad player

+s : fast, good defensively, good PKer, can put up 40+ points with PP, 30+ at ES

-s : non-physical, unspectacular shot, outside player, falls over which is great for drinking games (so maybe that's a plus)

Arguably his biggest "flaw" is just that he's frustrating as hell to watch because he is the softest player on a team that needs more physicality in the top 6. He's the kind of player the fans shrug when he's let go but has 5-10 teams lining up to offer him $2-2.5m.

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008

+s : fast, good defensively, good PKer, can put up 40+ points with PP, 30+ at ES

-s : non-physical, unspectacular shot, outside player, falls over which is great for drinking games (so maybe that's a plus)

Arguably his biggest "flaw" is just that he's frustrating as hell to watch because he is the softest player on a team that needs more physicality in the top 6. He's the kind of player the fans shrug when he's let go but has 5-10 teams lining up to offer him $2-2.5m.

Absolutely. I'm still willing to give Raymond a shot on the second line. If Kesler shares the puck better I'd bet on Raymond getting 25-25.

This lockout is probably the best thing for Raymond. Get's a complete year off to strengthen his core and recover from his back injury.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Absolutely. I'm still willing to give Raymond a shot on the second line. If Kesler shares the puck better I'd bet on Raymond getting 25-25.

This lockout is probably the best thing for Raymond. Get's a complete year off to strengthen his core and recover from his back injury.

If Kesler was better at sharing the puck he'd put up 90+ points.

Raymond is what we see. But if he can play with more confidence and swagger, he should be able to break 50 points playing 2nd line minutes. Also, being a good 2nd PP unit helps too.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver

Booth Jensen Raymond and a 2014 1st? Probably a done deal.

It's essentially Jensen++

And as much as I love Jensen, adding Kovy without deducting from our core would add a lot to the team.

So...Let's call Lou and Gillis and do this when the seasons back in session.

DKQ

Generic User Title
Jun 17, 2012
Press Box
My proposed deal would be assuming Kovy wants out and Vancouver is the only team offering. I'm sure other teams offering would drive up the price

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
My proposed deal would be assuming Kovy wants out and Vancouver is the only team offering. I'm sure other teams offering would drive up the price

Indeed. And unfortunately a bidding war, we can't afford to be at the forefront of, as we have neither upper end 2nd line/lower end 1st line players, bluechip prospects, or a likely high first round pick.

My assumption would have been budgetary concerns moving forward...but that seems pretty thin on my part. :laugh:

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC

Totally agreed. the amount of hate Raymond gets around here is ridiculous.

Canucks have a lot of depth and Raymond doesn't fit in well with what our current needs are. Truth is he would be a welcomed addition to MANY teams. Total bargain.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
Totally agreed. the amount of hate Raymond gets around here is ridiculous.

Canucks have a lot of depth and Raymond doesn't fit in well with what our current needs are. Truth is he would be a welcomed addition to MANY teams. Total bargain.

Raymond gets ripped so much because he's on a contending team and AV is so stupid that he forced him to be on the 2nd line for sooo long when he clearly isn't the 2nd liner that we need. We need a more legit top 6 winger that can light the lamp. If AV keeps forcing Raymond to play out of his comfort zone, this will continue to happen.

Raymond is a hardworking player that pk's well, but the falling down just drives me absolutely INSANE. ffs, he can't even celebrate without falling down. First career hat trick vs the flames? Kesler hugs him and he falls down (before the back injury. I might add that I think Boychuk did ram him into the boards on purpose. He gave him a bit of a push. Sure, it was a random situation that he found himself in, but he took advantage of a vulnerable player and did the damage. I firmly believe Boychuk pushed him into the boards with his legs on purpose. ugh, I HATE THE BRUINS) Just unbelievable.

TacitEndorsement

Jul 2, 2009
Would love to see him pull an Yzerman 180 under the right coach. He's a genetic freak with his unbelievable strength and obviously incredibly skilled. Easy trade if we don't give up Gaunce, Kassian, Jensen or Corrado.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Edler, Higgins, Schroeder, 1st

I would be willing to go that far but I don't know how much far after that, Don't wanna give up Kassian or Jensen, and we would like to add to our cup chances in this trade not destroy them.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Edler, Higgins, Schroeder, 1st

I would be willing to go that far but I don't know how much far after that, Don't wanna give up Kassian or Jensen, and we would like to add to our cup chances in this trade not destroy them.

And giving away one of our game changing defender isn't destroying our cup chances,

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
I think NJ is going to need a goalie. Not only that, but they buil thier team around the talents of a damn good one and now must replace him. Luongo is the guy!

Edler has failed to show interest in staying here. I think he wants to go to Detroit, but can be persuaded with money?

Don't need Booth with Kovalchuk, so I'd toss him in, too.

Booth, Edler and Luongo for Kovalchuk is an absurd overpayment. Did Nash garner this kind of return? NJ should gratefully accept and walk away laughing.

Jumex

Dec 17, 2009
Salisbury, UK
I think NJ is going to need a goalie. Not only that, but they buil thier team around the talents of a damn good one and now must replace him. Luongo is the guy!

Edler has failed to show interest in staying here. I think he wants to go to Detroit, but can be persuaded with money?

Don't need Booth with Kovalchuk, so I'd toss him in, too.

Booth, Edler and Luongo for Kovalchuk is an absurd overpayment. Did Nash garner this kind of return? NJ should gratefully accept and walk away laughing.

I can't see NJ Trading Kovalchuk for that much salary.

The only way they ship him out would be for cheaper player, they are not looking to add $'s

DKQ

Generic User Title
Jun 17, 2012
Press Box
NJ doesn't want Edler as the center of the trade proposal, we have too many LHD as it is. Also, as good as Schneider is, if we had to move Kovy it would be for forwards rather than goaltending because it is a bigger need for us

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
NJ doesn't want Edler as the center of the trade proposal, we have too many LHD as it is. Also, as good as Schneider is, if we had to move Kovy it would be for forwards rather than goaltending because it is a bigger need for us

If you were moving Kovalchuk it's likely Brodeur would retire as well rather than stick around for a rebuild((possibly Hedberg as well). If Schneider isn't of interest then I don't think the Canucks have the pieces to acquire Kovalchuk.

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI

Edler would be better than all of NJ's existing LHD by quite a margin, and all their RHD, as well, unless Larsson surpasses him.

DKQ

Generic User Title
Jun 17, 2012
Press Box
Edler would be better than all of NJ's existing LHD by quite a margin, and all their RHD, as well, unless Larsson surpasses him.

I know, but we are fine with our D. Our organizational forward depth, especially without Kovalchuk, sucks. If we're giving up valuable assets, it will be to address the position of greatest weakness

If you were moving Kovalchuk it's likely Brodeur would retire as well rather than stick around for a rebuild((possibly Hedberg as well). If Schneider isn't of interest then I don't think the Canucks have the pieces to acquire Kovalchuk.

Again, we have some decent goaltending prospects, but very few forward prospects who like NHLers. We would rather address the greatest organizational weakness rather than something which may work itself out on its own.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I know, but we are fine with our D. Our organizational forward depth, especially without Kovalchuk, sucks. If we're giving up valuable assets, it will be to address the position of greatest weakness

Again, we have some decent goaltending prospects, but very few forward prospects who like NHLers. We would rather address the greatest organizational weakness rather than something which may work itself out on its own.

Booth and/or Raymond as a forward. Both are shoot first with speed. Booth is the more valuable of the two, while Raymond is a little less so, but Raymond is cheaper by almost half if finances are an issue.

Jensen or Kassian as a prospect. Really, one or the other, we need one. Both are big, with Kassian playing more of a power forward game, while Jensen is more of a scorer with size.

Vancouver's 1st round pick this year. 'Nuff said, it is what it is, likely in the bottom tier again.

Aside from one of our goalies, is there another piece that New Jersey would want back, in the event that Kovalchuk becomes available in a trade?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad