Speculation: What would you be willing to give up for Kovalchuk?

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
If they wanted to move that huge contract during the old CBA, they weren't going to get back a bucket-load of prospects or picks. They would have been in the same boat as the Canucks with the Luongo/Schneider situation. Without seeing the landscape of a new CBA, the trade value of Luongo and Kovalchuk is impossible to predict.

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver
I don't think they want to have Elias playing center since he sucks on the face-offs. Don't think he has ever been above 46%. They've pretty much been forced to keep him there but I'm pretty sure they would switch him to the wing if they could. Hell, they've tried to take him off center before but they just don't have anyone else to take his spot.

Ah, didn't know that. Thanks.

I wouldn't mind Kesler and Kassian in the deal but I don't think we'd be adding. Perhaps Kesler, Kassian for Kovy and a pick?

KISSland

Jan 30, 2012
Speculation from Jason Botchford. If we used the 'e' system I'd classify it as about an (e0.0025)

Lol, link? Or what were the rumors about?

I'd do Schneider, Jensen, 1st for Kovy, 3rd.

But when I say I'd do, I really mean i think that's fair.

I don't want to trade Schneider, I want Lu gone.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Lol, link? Or what were the rumors about?

I'd do Schneider, Jensen, 1st for Kovy, 3rd.

But when I say I'd do, I really mean i think that's fair.

I don't want to trade Schneider, I want Lu gone.

Ehh, I forget the article. I think it's somewhere in the Luongo thread or the #1 d-man thread.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
I'd be willing to trade Schneider, Schroeder and Edler if its looking like we can't afford Edler.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
I'd easily move Lu (or the assets we get for him) + Jensen + 1st + any left winger not named Daniel.

Getting Kovalchuk would be awesome.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Luongo + Elder + 1st + Jensen or Kassian

Of course thats assuming the salary cap doesn't dive down...

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Luongo/Schneider + Booth + Schroeder/2nd

About this. I'd up Schroeder/2nd to Schroeder/1st if Lu is chosen, and in the following situation, Ballard is chosen. I'd also give the option of Ballard or Booth, depending on needs (Booth would be chose 99% of the time I think).

I could concievably see Gillis offering one of Sauve, Connauton or Corrado if there's a bidding war too, but any higher and it's too rich for my blood.

May 31, 2006
Kovalchuk is one of the greatest snipers to ever play the game. I'd trade anyone other than the Sedins for him.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Vancouver is trying to get younger and I feel if they tried to add Kovalchuk it may strip what limited youth the team has.

I realize the Devils are likely to walk away from this deal, but i'd offer Luongo, Raymond, Gaunce, 1st...and even then I don't know if i'd pull the trigger. Kovalchuk just seems so far away from the type of player GHillis is trying to bring in.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Vancouver is trying to get younger and I feel if they tried to add Kovalchuk it may strip what limited youth the team has.

I realize the Devils are likely to walk away from this deal, but i'd offer Luongo, Raymond, Gaunce, 1st...and even then I don't know if i'd pull the trigger. Kovalchuk just seems so far away from the type of player GHillis is trying to bring in.

While that was the calling point. If New Jersey is actively considering to move Kovalchuk, our plans abruptly change as a result. We have exactly the assets they would be looking for and would be foolish not to make a pitch. We can rebuild the prospect depth later on but good luck ever having an opportunity to run a juggernaut team that may arguably rival some of the dynasty teams in sheer scoring ability.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Schneider should be really interesting for any team trying to rebuild. I guess if you add Kassian, Jensen etc. at some point it would be interesting for New Jersey, but we would end up with absolutely nothin 3-4 years from now.

We don't really have that one young player we could "sacrifice" for the "short-term" benefit of Kovalchuk. Neither do I believe we are desperate for the type of player Kovalchuk is - even if he is sensational.

I would offer Schneider and if I was a Devils-fan I probably wouldn't know if that was a joke or a serious offer. Got to be teams willing to give a lot more for Kovalchuk than what we are.

Blue Suede Shoes

hound dog
May 5, 2012
What do you guys think Kovalchuk's numbers will look like in the next few years? I realize that he affects a game in many areas besides his offence - terrific defensive play, physical play, even dropping the mitts if it's called for. I also realize his offensive numbers have been held back while playing in New Jersey because NJ plays a defensive system.

But he is turning 30 this season. And from what I have read, goal scoring forwards tend to peak early in their careers.

So considering this, but also considering his elite talent and the system he plays in and all the other factors, what do you think his offensive numbers will look like in the coming years?

Here are his goal totals so far.

Age (at start of season) - Goal Total

18 - 29
19 - 38
20 - 41 -- Peak Beginning
21 - na
22 - 52
23 - 42
24 - 52
25 - 43
26 - 41 -- Peak End
27 - 31
28 - 37

He scored in the 40s or 50s every single season between ages 20 - 27. Was this his peak?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->