Speculation: What would you be willing to give up for Kovalchuk?

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
We have/had discussion about this on the Wings board. Basically if NJ decided to go for a rebuild and with (claimed) financial problems they could be looking to trade Kovalchuk. I don't think Kovy would be very willing to be on a rebuilding team, either.

Wings would want him because we would get a Russian to play with Datsyuk and maybe Datsyuk would then stay here after he's contract ends.

But I think Wings don't have enough assets to get Kovy and there would be teams willing to give up more to get him?

So I'd be interested to hear; do you want Kovalchuk and how bad?

StringerBell

Not the sexy answer you're looking for, but it really depends on the cap. If the cap stays high then I'd offer picks and prospects, but if it dropped it would have to be a lowball offer with Booth, Luongo etc.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
I don't know if Vignault and Kovalchuk are a real good match.

Kovalchuk would see a ton of minutes on our team.

Would be absolutely deadly on the PP with the Sedins, too.

We don't have the necessary pieces to acquire someone like Kovy IMO.

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver
Would love to get Kovy but, unfortunately, we probably don't have the assets to acquire him without dismantling the team. Best we could do would probably be along the lines of Schneider+Booth+Jensen+1st.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
I don't know if Vignault and Kovalchuk are a real good match.

Why in the world? He's one of the strongest two-way players on the Devils.

So I'd be interested to hear; do you want Kovalchuk and how bad?

It would be crazy for any team not to want Kovalchuk, I think. That said, I don't see the Canucks having the assets. The guys we want to trade are the guys that won't be useful in a rebuild. Our strongest piece of interest to them is probably Schneider and I don't know that I would be willing to trade him.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Wouldn't mind something around Kesler but I'd have thought New Jersey was fine with Elias, Zajac and Henrique already.

I don't think they want to have Elias playing center since he sucks on the face-offs. Don't think he has ever been above 46%. They've pretty much been forced to keep him there but I'm pretty sure they would switch him to the wing if they could. Hell, they've tried to take him off center before but they just don't have anyone else to take his spot.

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
I would think long and hard about Schneider for Kovalchuk straight up. Maybe let us give them another salary (Booth, Ballard, etc) for a pick as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad