News Article: What would the Kings Offer in a trade for E. Kane

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
Just fyi, as a fan of both teams I know both needs pretty well, and the Jets would not have much interest in a package around Voynov. With RHD Byfuglien, Bogosian, Trouba already on the roster, there is just not a need for RHD. And Eric Tangradi becomes the Jets #2 LW.

If the Jets even think about moving Kane it's going to be for a #1 C, or a package which returns a #1B C, and #2 LW/potential #1 G. Kings don't really have the horses for a trade like that right now since Richards/Kopitar are obviously off the table.

If I'm Jets I am looking for
RW Tyler Toffoli
LW Tanner Pearson/C Linden Vey
D Derek Forbort/LW Valentin Zykov
LA Kings #1 2014/2015 Pick

It's steep but since the Kings don't really have what's necessary to match Jets needs that great right now it's the only thing that makes sense. I don't particularly like Kane even. Kings don't make this trade though, IMO. Even though he is one of the highest goal scorers 5v5, his deficiencies on the PP, with vision and in the defensive zone are just not that appealing.

With out getting to deep into this. I think you are right many are undervaluing. But standard for a "Star Player" seems to be the

Grade A prospect (or teams best prospect)+young established NHLer+1st. The relative value of all those raises or lowers the other. But this seems to be the standard, maybe with another later pick thrown in.

So it would be more like

Toff/Pearson
Clifford
1st
possible 3rd/4th

IE

Schenn
Simmonds
2nd

Puck U

2012 SC CHAMPIONS !
Aug 2, 2005
Apple Valley, CA.
I see your quartet and Raise you
Wayne Simmonds, Drew Doughty, Slava Voynov, Brayden Schenn, Kyle Clifford & Tyler Toffoli

So you're saying despite his obvious flops and busts in the 1st & 2nd rounds he's had a couple good picks also ... got it ;)

And some are saying Clifford isn't a decent NHL player ... I'm not one of those, just saying. You know some of these expert Scouts on here and all.

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA
yup cause I don't think trading toffoli is worth Kane I don't think we need Kane or his additude I am intitled to my opinion as you are intitled to yours.

It isn't just that you wouldn't trade Toffoli straight up for Kane. I mean, that's pretty bad there in itself, but you would actually offer Kopitar in a trade for Kane before Toffoli.

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA
I am absolutely wrong I had in my head we drafted chara for some reason total screw up and I am wrong about . However forbort reminds me a chara no one thought he was anything till much later in his carrer as well. Again yes I was wrong and I m not to big to admit I was wrong

Maybe you were thinking about Jeff Schultz. He's actually closer to Chara's height at 6'6.

Heck, who doesn't confuse our former king Chara with Jeff Schultz. :sarcasm:

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
It isn't just that you wouldn't trade Toffoli straight up for Kane. I mean, that's pretty bad there in itself, but you would actually offer Kopitar in a trade for Kane before Toffoli.

Why is it so bad to want to keep a player that has gone thru the system saying and doing all the right things and scoring at every level? He is a model of what all kings players should go thru. I want to give him a chance to play there is nothing to say this player won't be as good scoring as Kane at a cheaper cap hit yeah your right no value in that at all :shakehead Also we need to gave Pearson a fair chance at the 2nd line left wing spot. He has all the tools as well to be exactly what we need in that position again cheaper for a while. There is also Kane ego to fit in As I stated in the Winnipeg thread I have heard stories from non hockey fans about Kane and with them stories I don't see him as the right fit chemistry wise Next my kopitar offer was purly sarcasm as I noted he s not available either :shakehead I said you would have a better chance This is not a offer its pure sarcasm

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Maybe you were thinking about Jeff Schultz. He's actually closer to Chara's height at 6'6.

Heck, who doesn't confuse our former king Chara with Jeff Schultz. :sarcasm:

lol ok well played no I was thinking we drafted him and traded before he could play a game as I stated I totally screwed it up in my head but at the team of that trade I said to myself trading Chara was a mistake by the islanders. I was a sorta a islander fan at the time well more like they were my east team after Butch goring was traded there I kinda followed them for a while. Till that trade actually is when I started to distant myself from them.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
So you're saying despite his obvious flops and busts in the 1st & 2nd rounds he's had a couple good picks also ... got it ;)

And some are saying Clifford isn't a decent NHL player ... I'm not one of those, just saying. You know some of these expert Scouts on here and all.

No, I'm saying several things.

A) Six guys isn't 'a couple'

B) Every team has a bad 1st round pick. However if you go from 2007 to the present, which is the timeframe of Mike Futa, we have drafted Hickey, Doughty, Teubert, Schenn, Forbort and Pearson. The only two of those who aren't in the NHL right now is Teubert and Forbort, and Forbort is defeinately still in line to be an NHL regular down the road. Pearson isn't a regular yet, but things look like they will be panning out quite well.

Now that is six players, and right now four appear to be NHL regulars (assuming Pearson stays with the team) and one more is a legitimate NHL prospect. Hickey hasn't panned out great by any stretch, but he's not a bust either and looks like he'll have a steady, albeit unspectatular NHL career. Most teams don't have this level of success with their first rounders.

C) In round two, we have Oscar Moller, Wayne SImmonds, Vyachelsav Voynov, Kyle Clifford, Tyler Toffoli, Christopher Gibson, Valentin Zykov. Do I really need to even explain to a very educated poster like you that this level of success in the 2nd round is almost unheard of?Aside from Gibson, we've done very well in the 2nd round. Extremely well, and it'll look even better if Toffoli continues to play the way he has.

D) Anyone that thinks Clifford isn't an NHLer is off-base. Additionally, getting a kid who has put up the numbers Clifford has for a 2nd rounder in terms of games player is already above average. Despite most people's line of thought, 2nd rounders typically don't pan out, Clifford when all is said and done (barring injuries of course) will have likely played 700+ games. That's great value for a 2nd.

Puck U

2012 SC CHAMPIONS !
Aug 2, 2005
Apple Valley, CA.
Kingfan ... the ;) and :sarcasm: should have given you your first clues I was being a tad sarcastic here :nod: albeit while also pointing out that Lombardi has had some major busts in the first two rounds, yes he's good, but god like he's not was all I was trying to temper down ok :) ;) :sarcasm:

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Kingfan ... the ;) and :sarcasm: should have given you your first clues I was being a tad sarcastic here :nod: albeit while also pointing out that Lombardi has had some major busts in the first two rounds, yes he's good, but god like he's not was all I was trying to temper down ok :) ;) :sarcasm:

Well then, screw you

:sarcasm:

Mike Carr

Jul 19, 2012
all this arguing - just give it 4 more weeks and we can say Scrivens for Kane plus ?

LAX attack*

He's not the right player for the Kings. Kane is definitely not a finished product. This team wants and needs finished products. We also don't need a one-shot scorer. If we were to acquire Kane, the only player we could trade for him is Toffoli because he is the other one-shot scorer team (other than Carter of course). Toffoli + Voinov for Kane.

I, unlike other Kings fans, am content with our forward depth right now. I think between Lewis, Frattin, King, Toffoli and Stoll we have 5 players who could comfortably play in the top-6.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
He's not the right player for the Kings. Kane is definitely not a finished product. This team wants and needs finished products. We also don't need a one-shot scorer. If we were to acquire Kane, the only player we could trade for him is Toffoli because he is the other one-shot scorer team (other than Carter of course). Toffoli + Voinov for Kane.

I, unlike other Kings fans, am content with our forward depth right now. I think between Lewis, Frattin, King, Toffoli and Stoll we have 5 players who could comfortably play in the top-6.

umm you lost me with Lewis playing top 6 Toffoli sure king umm ok i guess not worth arguing because he is playing there. Frattin ok maybe if really needed Stoll has before and in a pinch if two of richard carter and kopitar injury i guess id be ok with it. Lewis however no not a chance he plays top 6 vey peason play top 6 before lewis to me

LAX attack*

umm you lost me with Lewis playing top 6 Toffoli sure king umm ok i guess not worth arguing because he is playing there. Frattin ok maybe if really needed Stoll has before and in a pinch if two of richard carter and kopitar injury i guess id be ok with it. Lewis however no not a chance he plays top 6 vey peason play top 6 before lewis to me

While I disagree with you on that point, nonetheless you agree that the Kings have enough depth to make a trade for another top-6er unneccessary.

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008

LOLOL if two of Kopi/Carter/Richards get hurt it doesn't matter. Cause they Kings won't be going anywhere then.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
What would the Kings give up for Malkin? His performance recently has been mediocre. Would Fraser and a second get it done? We'd probably have to add a third.

Better add a :sarcasm: emoticon. Some people would take that seriously.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad