Value of: What would Quick + Doughty + Kopitar fetch to a contender in the off-season?

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
$26.8 M/year is a hard nut to swallow, even @13.4 if LAK were to retain the max 50% across all 3 contracts

Kopitar will be 35 next year with 4 seasons remaining at $10M/year Cap hit
and Quick will be 35 midseason with 3 years to go
Doughty, at recently 30, is the only one who could be seen as still near his prime and worth the Cap Hit

so best approach for Kings, to maximize return, may be sell them separately and retain on the older guys

I wouldnt wish this on anybody

Reactions: Unbiased Fan

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Taking a quick glance at the cap situations of the contending teams, I feel like Doughty could maybe work on the Jets? Feel like it would probably start with Ehlers and go from there.

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
LA is in a bad spot everyone's contract is too long to retain some sort of value you on it to move doughty you're looking at retaing atleast 3M for 7 years not worth it .

Quick has fell off like most goalies moving into their mid 30s , the magic number for goalies seem to be 24-32, not saying that their is not exceptions , but the last 2 years he has been declining. Maybe he can turn it around but hockey is unforgiving and his getting to that age turning 35 this year .

Kopitar at 10M is moveable not to a contender unless you're willing to retain 30 % for 4 years which honestly sounds terrible but if you could walk away with the right pieces in prospect who are going to be on ELC do able . The better option is a team like NJD or Blue jackets teams who desperately need a elite C who might be able to fit that 10M cap singed for 4 years and have a bunch of high end young talent.

I think you just keep quick let him retire during your rebuild doughty is a number 1 D maybe a 2 at worst on a bad contract yes but if you can fill him with some youth his leader ship and skill bring alot to him , kopitar you move . Start the rebuild boys . Burn what you can

SecretOilersFan

Jul 2, 2015
Calgary
Doubt Edm. would give up that much for Doughty, since he's aging. I thought Edm considered Nurse their best D-men, and RNH their only good player after McDrai. On the other hand, Boston's offer for Kopitar would be too low, considering that their first would be very late in the round.

No Klefbom is better than Nurse. He still is a big team guy and one of our better D-men and I think EDM wants to keep him long term that said we are going to eventually probably be trading one of our D-Men probably Larsson if Bouchard can live up to his potential.

Plus we are pretty high on Yam as well for our forward core and a lot of our D prospects/rookie players like Bear and Jones. I don't think we could do it for cap reasons though. As much as Doughty is still very good it's forward depth is our big weakness not D.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
actually the NHL is a "hard" Salary cap league,
$26.8 M/year is a hard nut to swallow, even @13.4 if LAK were to retain the max 50% across all 3 contracts

Kopitar will be 35 next year with 4 seasons remaining at $10M/year Cap hit
and Quick will be 35 midseason with 3 years to go
Doughty, at recently 30, is the only one who could be seen as still near his prime and worth the Cap Hit

so best approach for Kings, to maximize return, may be sell them separately and retain on the older guys

Kopitar is currently 32

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Quick is good insurance for a contender, in case their starter goes down in the playoffs. Plus his playoff pedigree is worth a lot in the locker room, same can be said for all 3. These are 3 proven winners who I am surprised weren't moved at the dead line.

Doughty still has many years left in him. Kopitar is pretty much finished IMO, he's a second line center on a contender. He got his cups and contract and mailed it in Fedex right after.

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
I didn't feel like having a long 3 person tag 4 paragraph response so heres a shorten version of my reply, IMO the deal was a 3 for all of that, i put Lucic instead of Ryan for Kopitar, but any team trading for 1 or all 3 would need to send forms of cap space, i had a lot of good futures in there and tons of picks for a Quick rebuild, i only gave it like 5 minutes of thought so it was rough, but I at least put an offer for all 3 of them right? Thats what the OP asked, i don't even think any one has put an offer for all 3

Reactions: kilowatt

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
A mathematical headache

Thats way too much cap space going one way. Separately is where the value comes in

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
Quick is good insurance for a contender, in case their starter goes down in the playoffs. Plus his playoff pedigree is worth a lot in the locker room, same can be said for all 3. These are 3 proven winners who I am surprised weren't moved at the dead line.

Doughty still has many years left in him. Kopitar is pretty much finished IMO, he's a second line center on a contender. He got his cups and contract and mailed it in Fedex right after.

Wtf are you talking about? Kopitar is only a year and half removed from a Hart Caliber season (finished 2nd in voting). Last season the whole Kings team gave up on the year when management brought in WD. This year he is back to his normal self at almost a PPG level. He'll get back to 70 points again while also shutting down the other teams best players. Whatever grudge you have against him is horribly misleading you on his play.

Nodoughtyboutit

May 14, 2010
There's no way were retaining much on Kopitar or Doughty. Maybe like 1 million or so, both their contracts are too long to eat a lot. If they're going to anyone I'd assume a cap dump or atleast someone with a decent hit is coming back to help swallow 10 million.

As for Quick I dont see any takers and even is we retain 50% of his cap hit it'd be for a roster spot because we wouldn't get much back even then. I rather keep him and let him retire as a King and mentor Cal.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Just curious. I think if I was the Kings I would be open to shopping them even if its for top picks and to get up in the draft. I see a lot of teams lining up for this trio if offered.
Never mind Quick who has no value. Kopitar and Doughty have their cups have their money live in Southern California and have full NMC. They aren’t agreeing to any trades.

Reactions: Homesick

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Don't listen to my fellow Kings fans, done deal

So in return for Doughty (with 20% retained) and Kopitar, you'd be okay with a late 1st in 2020, a late 1st in 2021, a late 2nd in 2022, Juuso Valimaki, Dillon Dube, Milan Lucic, Derek Ryan, and a handful of third round picks? I can't even begin to express how bad of a return that is.

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
Kopitar is pretty much finished IMO, he's a second line center on a contender. He got his cups and contract and mailed it in Fedex right after.

Kopitar career: 947 P/ 1069 GP = 0.886 PPG
Kopitar this season: 59 P/ 66 GP = 0.894 PPG

Cups: 2012 & 2014

Contract Signing date: January 16, 2016

Selkes: 2016 & 2018

He got his cups and contract and then won 2 Selkes and increased his scoring rate. Are you sure you have the right guy?

Fat Elvis

El Guapo
Dec 25, 2003
On Lebowski's rug
Visit site
I've been a big critic of Kopitar in the past, but the effort is there this year. He'd be tougher to replace than Doughty IMO. Doughty is the player I'd move over the two of them, if winning is still important to him.

Reactions: Schmooley

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad