What would it take to get Barrie extended this season?

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
The purpose of this list is to prove that it's not just elite defensemen who play both powerplay and penalty kill.
Well at least 3/4th of that list are d-men who were, or are still considered to be #1 defenseman. All of those players were likely the #1 defenseman on their team for a significant period of time too. Being a #1 means playing both PP and PK.

Barrie is not a #1 defenseman and doesn't fit into the criteria.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Letang is signed at $7.25M per.

If Barrie is a “poor man” Letang this results in the range of $6.25M - $7.00M Per.

Anything more will be overpaying. So what are we arguing about???

Talk about moving the Goal Posts!

The cap isn’t a static environment. Letang signed his contract in 2014; the cap has gone up and player values change year to year nonetheless over 4 years.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
How am I moving the goalposts? I’ve said he’s an elite offensive defenseman and nothing special defensively.

Please go back a read the comments I quoted and context. I was making an argument that the fact that he doesn't play PK shows he's not good defensively. Pierce Hawthorne considered that an insulting stupid viewpoint. I responded by giving the example of P.K. Subban, who plays both PP and PK. You responded that I'm only comparing him to top 5-10 defensemen. I posted a list of players who are not all top 5-10 defensemen who play both PP and PK. Now you're acting like you never made the argument that caused me to post the list in the first place.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Letang would likely bring in a Carlson type contract if he signed today.

Barrie should expect to be in the 7-7.75 range imo. The Avs could afford that in theory, but we'll have to see if they decide he is worth that much to them.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Well at least 3/4th of that list are d-men who were, or are still considered to be #1 defenseman. All of those players were likely the #1 defenseman on their team for a significant period of time too. Being a #1 means playing both PP and PK.

Barrie is not a #1 defenseman and doesn't fit into the criteria.

Dear lord why the hell are we even arguing then? My whole point is he should be traded if he expects to be paid like a #1 guy. If we all agree he's not a #1 quality guy, then seriously what is the argument about?

Reactions: Patagonia

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Please go back a read the comments I quoted and context. I was making an argument that the fact that he doesn't play PK shows he's not good defensively. Pierce Hawthorne considered that an insulting stupid viewpoint. I responded by giving the example of P.K. Subban, who plays both PP and PK. You responded that I'm only comparing him to top 5-10 defensemen. I posted a list of players who are not all top 5-10 defensemen who play both PP and PK. Now you're acting like you never made the argument that caused me to post the list in the first place.

Well Smiley brought up the fact that majority of that list is/was #1 Dmen or the #1dmen on said team so they would’ve had to play PP and PK. I’ve already said he’s nothing special defensively and we have players on the team that are good on the PK so it doesn’t make sense to force him out there.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Dear lord why the hell are we even arguing then? My whole point is he should be traded if he expects to be paid like a #1 guy. If we all agree he's not a #1 quality guy, then seriously what is the argument about?

We also have literally 0 clue how much money he’s going to ask for. So that’s also an argument that not only can wait but has to wait until we hear what number he wants.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'

I have no idea anymore :laugh:

We were arguing the reason why. But like TAP said. Until we know what kind of money he is asking for, we should probably just let it rest.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Well, we could put out a potential number - say 8x8 - and argue about whether that's fair value of if we should trade him if he demands it...

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Well, we could put out a potential number - say 8x8 - and argue about whether that's fair value of if we should trade him if he demands it...

I don’t want to discuss that yet, because 8mil in 2 years could be a totally different value than it is now depending on where the cap is.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I don’t want to discuss that yet, because 8mil in 2 years could be a totally different value than it is now depending on where the cap is.

So you basically don't want to discuss the topic of the thread. You're maybe in the wrong thread mate... ;)

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
So you basically don't want to discuss the topic of the thread. You're maybe in the wrong thread mate... ;)

Price is hard to talk about over long term. Sure I’d say 8x8 is too much right now but in 2 years who knows if it’ll be too much. If the cap goes up a to 8x8 could be an underpayment(highly unlikely) or if the cap stays the same it could be an overpayment.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Price is hard to talk about over long term. Sure I’d say 8x8 is too much right now but in 2 years who knows if it’ll be too much. If the cap goes up a to 8x8 could be an underpayment(highly unlikely) or if the cap stays the same it could be an overpayment.

Okay how about this. Let's pretend the going rate for a #1 defenseman in two years is 9M and Barrie wants that over 7-8 years. What do you think the Avs should do in that situation?

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Okay how about this. Let's pretend the going rate for a #1 defenseman in two years is 9M and Barrie wants that over 7-8 years. What do you think the Avs should do in that situation?

No I wouldn’t. That’s too rich for my blood. Hypothetically if Barrie were a UFA this summer I’d say he’s worth a little less than Carlson. So something like ~7 this year would be where I’d peg his value.

Reactions: MarkT

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
That's cute coming from you :laugh: Good lord. And congrats, you attempted to prove your point by comparing Tyson Barrie with a Top 5 Dman in the game, real solid evidence.

Thanks for teaching me to just ignore your posts in the future. I'm rather new to these forums so I'm still learning these things.

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
In 2 years, Barrie could already be playing for a different team. It's this time next year is that Sakic has to give an offer to Barrie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad