What would it take to get Barrie extended this season?

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
I'd give him between 7 and 8.5 at max term. Lock him down, pray for his health, and have him play for the Avs for his entire career. I would do it sooner than later.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Moved to another team most likely. With the prospects they have and the need for forwards Col doesn't have a large incentive to give him a huge deal over trading him to one of the 15 teams who would kill for him atm.

If your asking what it would take you are probably looking at both Makar and Timmins busting along with 7ish AAV for 8 years with a NTC, which I would say is unlikely.

The guy is an elite elite players but the Avs are just stacked at the position and need serious help up front to be keeping him would be purely a luxury

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
The guy is an elite elite players but the Avs are just stacked at the position and need serious help up front to be keeping him would be purely a luxury

Yes. We should move elite players because we’re stacked at that position with prospects. The predators should probably look to move Josi now since Fabbro should be coming up in the next year or two.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I wouldn't hesitate to sign him at $8M next summer if he puts up a ~60 point season again next year.

It's beyond ridiculous that people think he's expendable. Especially because the reason almost always centers around two kids who have never played a single game of pro hockey, let along do anything anywhere close to what Barrie has accomplished in his career already.

If you can sign Tyson Barrie you sign him. Trade Timmins or Johnson if it comes to it.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Yes. We should move elite players because we’re stacked at that position with prospects. The predators should probably look to move Josi now since Fabbro should be coming up in the next year or two.

The Preds had gotten rid of elite guys like Jones, Weber and Suter because they had up and coming players like Josi, Ekholm and Ellis all ready to break through and had needs elsewhere. Not sure there is a team that would prove my point more so.

Also if you want to talk current day it is a possibility that Ellis is moved at some point because of the Cap and Fabbro, although he just commited back to college which I'm sure NSH would have rather he didn't

Reactions: MarkT

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
The Preds had gotten rid of elite guys like Jones, Weber and Suter because they had up and coming players like Josi, Ekholm and Ellis all ready to break through and had needs elsewhere. Not sure there is a team that would prove my point more so.

Also if you want to talk current day it is a possibility that Ellis is moved at some point because of the Cap and Fabbro, although he just commited back to college which I'm sure NSH would have rather he didn't

Those guys had also gotten to the NHL and proved they were ready to take over for those guys. You don’t just get rid of elite players for prospects before said prospects get to the NHL.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Those guys had also gotten to the NHL and proved they were ready to take over for those guys. You don’t just get rid of elite players for prospects before said prospects get to the NHL.

I never said the Barrie deal should be right now. Although in a year I'd be surprised if at least one of those guys if not both isn't on the team. This is a long term thing and his impending UFA status, in house replacements and the upcoming ED are all contributing factors towards his eventual move.
You didn't draft Makar to play him on the 3rd pairing and Barrie is by far the most likely candidate to lose his spot to him.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Tyson is going to get paid, and paid well. I'd love for it to be the Avs who sign him, but we need to see what happens this upcoming season.

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
With OEL and Carlson signing for 8m, neither of who he is quite at their level or accomplishment probably makes him not go that high. Close to 7 would probably be more realistic.

I used to have a massive boner for oel but at this point I’d take Barrie over him if I had a choice

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Barrie also never quit on his team

Its BS takes like this that you know you are on the wrong side of an argument when you end up going there.

Like by all means you evaluate your players as you see fit, but you are in the major minority there.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I never said the Barrie deal should be right now. Although in a year I'd be surprised if at least one of those guys if not both isn't on the team. This is a long term thing and his impending UFA status, in house replacements and the upcoming ED are all contributing factors towards his eventual move.
You didn't draft Makar to play him on the 3rd pairing and Barrie is by far the most likely candidate to lose his spot to him.

And the chances that Timmins and Makar are elite by their sophomore years in the NHL are ridiculously slim. Unless Barrie is asking for 8.5+ I’d seriously consider keeping him around.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
And the chances that Timmins and Makar are elite by their sophomore years in the NHL are ridiculously slim. Unless Barrie is asking for 8.5+ I’d seriously consider keeping him around.

While it would be nice to wait in a perfect world:
1) Waiting that long would decrease Barries trade value
2) Him being a UFA and the ED wont allow the Avs to be that patient.
3) They don't need to be elite, just 1 of them needs to be ready for a 2nd line roll on a line where they will have a solid partner. Which as of now looks incredibly likely. Saying its "ridiculously slim" just shows your lack of understanding of where the players are currently at.

It be nice to wait until you were absolutely certain of everything before you made decisions but thats very much not how the NHL works and it isn't realistic in the slightest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad