What would it take to fire Bylsma?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocket of Russia

Needs more Tang
Mar 8, 2012
USA
Probably 100% true. I think the simple fact that Bylsma never played Iginla at the RW position AT ALL or even attempted to put him on Crosby's line was more baffling than taking him off the PP.

He actually DID try Iginla on Sid's RW, but it wasn't until his back was completely against the wall in the Islanders series (when it was tied 2-2). A few bad shifts later in game 6 and it was back to Duper on RW and Iginla on a wing he'd never played in his life. After blitzing the Sens, DB decided all was right in the world again and went into Boston ready to stick to his guns...that weren't loaded.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
All I have to say is this thread was 3 pages long and from 2010... and its almost closed now.. the sentiment has certainly shifted greatly against Bylsma recently... Barring a cup final he will not be with the team next season, and frankly it wouldn't surprise me if they make a move with a few more losses right now...

specialized

Jan 24, 2013
He will not be fired, the reason being is he just signed an extension. If the team fired the coach that would also mean they would fire at least 2 other assistants and I really dont think the team wants to waste all that money.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
He will not be fired, the reason being is he just signed an extension. If the team fired the coach that would also mean they would fire at least 2 other assistants and I really dont think the team wants to waste all that money.

For as much as we all like to **** on Bylsma, another team will pick him up to be their head coach. The Penguins won't have to worry about paying him to not coach at that point.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC

Same thing with MT. Fired after extension, no?

The Big Dawg*

Bylsma is 4th on the list behind Julien 3rd, Babcock 2nd and Quenneville 1st.

Bylstard doesn't deserve to be anywhere close to those guys, he's lucky he fell ass backwards into a team with Sid & Geno.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
All I have to say is this thread was 3 pages long and from 2010... and its almost closed now.. the sentiment has certainly shifted greatly against Bylsma recently... Barring a cup final he will not be with the team next season, and frankly it wouldn't surprise me if they make a move with a few more losses right now...

I know this was posted prior to a win when the mood isn't good, but people are crazy if they actually think he'll be fired before the playoffs.

MeticulouslyDishevel

Oct 23, 2012

The extension wouldn't factor in to the decision. It will cost the team peanuts when you look at team's overall finances/budget.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Bylstard doesn't deserve to be anywhere close to those guys, he's lucky he fell ass backwards into a team with Sid & Geno.

Yeah, those other guys are coaching scraps.

Isn't one of the main talking points around here (with which I agree) the Pens' lack of depth? Do you really think our roster matches Boston's or Chicago's?

Michael8771*

Yeah, those other guys are coaching scraps.

Isn't one of the main talking points around here (with which I agree) the Pens' lack of depth? Do you really think our roster matches Boston's or Chicago's?
Let me answer this if I may. Our depth (when we're healthy) isn't all that bad. IF we get Martin and Malkin back (which is very likely) and possibly at some point Letang and Goc, to go along with Bennett, our depth isn't the big problem. the coaching is.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Let me answer this if I may. Our depth (when we're healthy) isn't all that bad. IF we get Martin and Malkin back (which is very likely) and possibly at some point Letang and Goc, to go along with Bennett, our depth isn't the big problem. the coaching is.

Guess we might as well wait until the playoffs then, because right now the roster is pretty thin.

The jury's still out on this season. Madden had it right when he said Bylsma has been doing some stupid things, but Rossi also had it right when he moaned that we're picking our spots with regular season critiques. It's a double standard that shouldn't be necessary to condemn Bylsma.

I can't really tell if he "outcoaches" the other guy during a game, and I'm skeptical of anyone here who says they can. I think he's flawed. I think he plays to the vets, and he's stubborn. But, I remember Penguins teams dominating the offensive zone in every year but this one, and having their goaltender gut this team with ******** goals.

I think something's got to give after this year, and if it resembles either of '12 or '13 I'll be carrying a torch with you. But the Bruins fans were bemoaning "Clod" Julien right before they happened to win the Cup, and I will feel intense gratification if something is left in Bylsma's (and Fleury's) tank this year.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I will say this.

The team has looked like dog **** all year. So does not pass the eye test.

But is 7th overall in goals against, which is the most important stat when it comes to playing playoff hockey.

I have no clue how they got there given how many odd man breaks they give up each game.

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
Assuming Malkin and Martin come back for the playoffs, Only not getting past the first round would get DB and RS fired. Injuries and injuries is the built in excuse, both Malkin and Neal have both missed 20 games. Duper, Martin and Letang more than 1/2 the season and Beau 3/4 of a season. No other team including Bruins, Flys, Ducks, Sharks, Hawks, Blues would have the record the Pens have with injuries to their key players. Only the Wings have had more injuries to key players but they may not make the playoffs. I think RS deserves a lot more blame than DB for letting player such as Glass, Adams, Scuds and Orpik to remain on this team. These four are the weak links.

Still Apps

The New Gig
Jan 10, 2012
Home
DB stays until there's a RS lightbulb moment something like this:

13489764495_30e1fe859b.jpg

McDooRoo

Feb 24, 2013
Wyoming
Hawks fan coming in peace. My 11 yr old daughter is a huge Pens fan!

Why do people think DB should be fired?? I think he's in the top five best coaches in the league. This year the injury bug bit like crazy for the Pens. If you go back over the last couple of years' playoffs I don't think DB was the problem. Last year Flower went to sleep and the year before the team seemed more interested in stirring the pot than actually winning series or games and even last year against the Bruins the team seemed more interested in mixing it up than winning, I mean when you have Crosby trying to stir it up with Rask there's a problem.

I think the Pens will make it to the conference finals against the Bruins again, but I'm not sure anybody can beat Boston (which blows).

BTW I'll be supporting the Pens against the Avs in Denver!

ndolla

Dec 23, 2013

Why do people think DB should be fired?? I think he's in the top five best coaches in the league. This year the injury bug bit like crazy for the Pens. If you go back over the last couple of years' playoffs I don't think DB was the problem. Last year Flower went to sleep and the year before the team seemed more interested in stirring the pot than actually winning series or games and even last year against the Bruins the team seemed more interested in mixing it up than winning, I mean when you have Crosby trying to stir it up with Rask there's a problem.

I think the Pens will make it to the conference finals against the Bruins again, but I'm not sure anybody can beat Boston (which blows).

Read these 38 pages and you'll have all your heart desires as to why.

Fordy

May 28, 2008

38 pages and three years later, yeah, I don't think we've examined this at ll

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
Guess we might as well wait until the playoffs then, because right now the roster is pretty thin.

The jury's still out on this season. Madden had it right when he said Bylsma has been doing some stupid things, but Rossi also had it right when he moaned that we're picking our spots with regular season critiques. It's a double standard that shouldn't be necessary to condemn Bylsma.

I can't really tell if he "outcoaches" the other guy during a game, and I'm skeptical of anyone here who says they can. I think he's flawed. I think he plays to the vets, and he's stubborn. But, I remember Penguins teams dominating the offensive zone in every year but this one, and having their goaltender gut this team with ******** goals.

I think something's got to give after this year, and if it resembles either of '12 or '13 I'll be carrying a torch with you. But the Bruins fans were bemoaning "Clod" Julien right before they happened to win the Cup, and I will feel intense gratification if something is left in Bylsma's (and Fleury's) tank this year.

Bruins also SHOULD HAVE LOST TO THE LEAFS.

Who knows what would have happened if Boston got knocked out in the first round. We could have walked into the finals and had a much different ending.

BrokenStick

Feb 8, 2004
Ellwood City, PA

Because Bylsma is flawed coach and the Pens don't win the cup every year by winning every game 10-0.

Fire Shero*

Bruins also SHOULD HAVE LOST TO THE LEAFS.

Who knows what would have happened if Boston got knocked out in the first round. We could have walked into the finals and had a much different ending.

We likely would have lost to whoever we played in the eastern conference finals and definitely would have lost to the hawks.

The isles and sens were pretty terrible playoff teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad