Proposal: What would it take Price to the Canucks?

byrath

Jan 28, 2008
St. Louis, MO
If you would only give a 7th pick For Shea Weber , means ur know nothing about hockey which would not surprise me since this is the main board.
Injuries+contract, wouldn't claim him off waivers. Maybe someone would, if their team is near the end of their 'window' and are prepared to choke on his cap hit later.
As for the Canucks, realistically they need to draft at least 3 more core players over the next 3-4 years before making the playoffs is even a consideration. They don't have the assets to speed up the rebuild without derailing it.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
There has been discussion in Canucks land about whether we should tank or try to make the playoffs and I believe this year is a “must” year for the Canucks to make the playoffs. One way to do this is by trading this for Carey Price. The Habs seems to be in a rebuilding stage and trending downward while the Canucks are on the upswing and trending upward, looking to make the playoffs. Maybe the two teams can help each other. Montreal wants young pieces to move forward with and Vancouver needs immediate help on the back end and in goal. So Therefore I propose the following:

Markstrom
Demko
Juolevi
Virtanen
2020 1st
2019 2nd

for

Carey Price
Shea Weber

this is a perfect example of why one should not post while on drugs......canucks have zero reasons to even think of trading Demko. the team is going no where except to the lottery next spring...

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
Dont worry about the contracts nucks fans...once the contracts get whack...just give shea and Carey a fake injury like all those other teams and youll be saved.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Jim, is that you?

This is, in NO WAY a "must year", playoffs-wise at least.

The only thing the Canucks "must" do is get a high draft pick... and hopefully stockpile more draft picks as well.

Your trade proposal would cripple the team for the next decade.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
OMG.. we finally have a post where everyone agrees! lol
Yeah.. even MB wouldnt even think of proposing this to Vancouver; it would hurt his credibility even more.
Plus this has no regard for the cap.

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
Woah, no. How many times have we seen teams attempt to rush a rebuild only to have it blow up. VAN is doing the right thing currently (all Henning bashing aside) in building their prospect pool, developing, and augmenting the lineup with some key vets. Demko will be a good one, though I'm not sold on juolevi (didn't like the pick) he's not someone you sell right now. Vancouver likely won't make the playoffs this year with how much the rest of the Pacific has improved, but I also didn't expect Vegas to do anything last year either so I'll gladly eat crow if they do. The ship is headed in the right direction for Vancouver and with a healthy boeser and horvat, and even just average goaltending from markstrom they will be poised to surprise alot of teams this year. Poor fit, bad proposal for Vancouver.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
Dont worry about the contracts nucks fans...once the contracts get whack...just give shea and Carey a fake injury like all those other teams and youll be saved.
We're not the Blackhawks who are able to find loopholes in everything in the CBA- If we were to try what they did with Hossa we would definitely have not gotten the same ruling.

member 157595

Not only do the Canucks NOT need to make the playoffs this year, doing so would be extraordinarily counterproductive, given what has transpired with ownership/front office in the past.

Vancouver sorely lacks proven talent in all positions, and few (if any) teams would benefit more from the addition of Jack Hughes or Kaapo Kakko. Long-term, they will need horses to seriously compete in this race and their best chance to do so is with high picks.

Ragdoll

Feb 15, 2018
The habs would be lucky if Vancouver took those two for free let alone giving away a ton of good assets. Lock this up lol, Weber and Price have negative value. Not because they suck but their contracts are absolutely brutal. Not to mention Vancouver is rebuilding, they don’t need 30+ year old players while giving up younger assets.

Reactions: Rydgar

Richierich61

Sep 29, 2018
There has been discussion in Canucks land about whether we should tank or try to make the playoffs and I believe this year is a “must” year for the Canucks to make the playoffs. One way to do this is by trading this for Carey Price. The Habs seems to be in a rebuilding stage and trending downward while the Canucks are on the upswing and trending upward, looking to make the playoffs. Maybe the two teams can help each other. Montreal wants young pieces to move forward with and Vancouver needs immediate help on the back end and in goal. So Therefore I propose the following:

Markstrom
Demko
Juolevi
Virtanen
2020 1st
2019 2nd

for

Carey Price
Shea Weber

Why do you think this year is a must for the Canucks to make the playoffs? Its the complete opposite IMO and I dont even think Price takes them there

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Vancouver is the only place (until seattle gets a team) that IMO price would waive his full NMC for since it's close to his hometown.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Why do you think this year is a must for the Canucks to make the playoffs? Its the complete opposite IMO and I dont even think Price takes them there

Because if they don’t their young stars like Brock Boeser, Bo Horvat, and Elias Pettersson might get used to losing and develop a toxic culture that we’ve seen in Edmonton with the Oilers. They might have another year before this happens but conservatively if they don’t make the playoffs this year then it could start to happen this year too.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Too many pieces of low quality. Just start with your unprotected 2019 1st round pick and a protected 2020 1st round pick and we'll build it from there. :nod:

If that sounds outrageous, just give up.

Sam of Montreal

May 5, 2007
Fans are so weird.

Montreal definately would not do that. When I read at first the package, I thought "yeah ok good package for Price". Price AND Weber? Oh lol no.

Some love futures way too much. Two top talents for futures and top picks who have not really fulfilled their promise. Ridiculous. This is a franchise destroying move for Montreal and people think Vancouver should not do it? Wow...

Reactions: thepuckguru

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Fans are so weird.

Montreal definately would not do that. When I read at first the package, I thought "yeah ok good package for Price". Price AND Weber? Oh lol no.

Some love futures way too much. Two top talents for futures and top picks who have not really fulfilled their promise. Ridiculous. This is a franchise destroying move for Montreal and people think Vancouver should not do it? Wow...

It's mainly just the contract status for both Weber and Price. Weber's injuries have been worrisome for such a long-term, high cap hit contract. Price's cap hit and length are also huge and he's coming off a down year - not saying he won't rebound and still be a top 3 goalie in the league, but 10.5 mill is pretty damn high for any goalie.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
this is a perfect example of why one should not post while on drugs......canucks have zero reasons to even think of trading Demko. the team is going no where except to the lottery next spring...

I can think of two very good reasons.. their names are Carey Price and Shea Weber

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Fans are so weird.

Tell me about it.. Here I was worried the VAN package wouldn’t be enough.

I think the divide has to do with two different styles of management. The new school as represented by the Dubases and the Chaykas, two GMs who would never dream of giving up good futures for 30+ year old players with big contracts.

They think, make the numbers work and sort the talent out later.

Whereas the old school approaches it the opposite way - make the talent work and then sort out the numbers later.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

Markstrom
Demko
Juolevi
Virtanen
2020 1st
2019 2nd

for

Carey Price
Shea Weber
Canucks are a terrible team why would they give up their top picks? Doesn't make sense.

Price however, I would not be suprised if he goes to Seattle expansion. Weber I doubt they trade him as he is good developing young d-men.

Dylan6217

Mar 12, 2016
Thats an overpayment Montreals GM will take much less then that look at his track record. Just let montreal keep weber and offer us roussel edler and a second and Bergivain is all over it lol. He likes his over payed 3rd liners.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Here’s my thing:

IF Montreal’s GM is actually open to moving Price (which I’m not sure he is), then I do think the Canucks should consider making the move.

The Canucks’ defense is absolutely TERRIBLE and so if there ever was a guy that could bail out the team to a certain degree and give the Canucks a fighting chance in games, it’s Carey Price at his best.

Canucks Management wants the team to make a realistic push for the playoffs and compete hard all year. I think Price at his best atleast helps the Canucks be a borderline playoff team going into March/April.

An often overlooked fact is that playoff experience is crucial in a young players development, and so if prime Price could help the Canucks sneak in (even if it ends in a first round blowout), I think it could be beneficial.

I’d give Montreal our 1st for Price (zero retention required on Montreal’s part), provided that they would be willing to eat some of our bad contracts such as Gagner, Gudbranson and Eriksson (zero retention on our part)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad