What would happen if there is no OHL season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sleemans99

Nov 25, 2018
I have no idea what people expected the ohl to do here. Announce some grandiose plans that hadno chance? Put out press releases saying what exactly? Pressure the government into their position? I have no idea what leverage they had. If they haven't bowed to pressure from businesses,a substantial portion of their political base and the various chambeers of commerce, they are now going to kowtow to a few teenage hockey players, their fans and 17 ownership groups.
Has Branches perfect? No, but he was dealt a losing hand and has been trying to play it thebesthe can.

Last edited:

Sleemans99

Nov 25, 2018
The transmission of this variant is crazy. With the NHL getting so close to the playoffs, I really think teams serious about playoffs should choose to go into a strong bubble. I am really worried a team or two, right before the playoffs, end up getting their legs cut out from under them.

There is no chance the QMJHL is going to be able to restart under their protocols and this new variant.
Happened in the NCAA tournament in basketball and hockey

Reactions: Otto

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
I have no idea what people expected the ohl to do here. Announce some grandiose plans that hadno chance? Put out press releases saying what exactly? Pressure the government into their position? I have no idea what leverage they had. If they haven't bowed to pressure from businesses,a substantial portion of their political base and the various chambeers of commerce, they are now going to kowtow to a few teenage hockey players, their fans and 17 ownership groups.
Has Branches perfect? No, but he was dealt a losing hand and has been trying to play it thebesthe can.
Here’s a thought, put together a compliant plan, figure out how much it’s going to cost, and ask for assistance. The government has been clear they have money for this from the start. If it isn’t enough money then be truthful with the fans and players, let the players go play somewhere else with a plan to start up again in August/September. That’s how adults and professional organizations run things. It should have been done as soon as a season and a regular playoff schedule wasn’t reasonable.

Reactions: sudburydinnerjacket

Sleemans99

Nov 25, 2018
Here’s a thought, put together a compliant plan, figure out how much it’s going to cost, and ask for assistance. The government has been clear they have money for this from the start. If it isn’t enough money then be truthful with the fans and players, let the players go play somewhere else with a plan to start up again in August/September. That’s how adults and professional organizations run things. It should have been done as soon as a season and a regular playoff schedule wasn’t reasonable.
There is/was no compliant plan. It was close for a February start up then the virus got in the way. I don't believe anyone was stopped going anywhere as players are in various leagues in North America and Europe. Saying that I understand there was some conditions on playing in ushl. You could argue the April start date was false hope, however the plan was trying to get something in place so there could be a memorial cup. I agree now is the time to accept inevitable and announce 21/22 season. It may not start on time either

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
There is/was no compliant plan. It was close for a February start up then the virus got in the way. I don't believe anyone was stopped going anywhere as players are in various leagues in North America and Europe. Saying that I understand there was some conditions on playing in ushl. You could argue the April start date was false hope, however the plan was trying to get something in place so there could be a memorial cup. I agree now is the time to accept inevitable and announce 21/22 season. It may not start on time either

I think it is reasonably certain the 2021-2022 season will be delayed. I think they will play a full season though. With the NHL starting later next season, I think it is prudent for teams to line up properly so players aren’t leaving for NHL camps 10 games into the OHL season.

It also gives everyone a better chance of being fully vaccinated with both shots. My prediction is October by the time everyone that wants it has it in Canada. That “should” lessen restrictions to the point the League will be allowed to have 50% attendance to start (early November) with probable 100% after Christmas provided this vaccination program works at reducing risks. We may still see infections but if hospital numbers are very low, I think common sense will kick in.

The good thing is that even though Canada is lagging behind, many countries will have progressed very well, including the USA. So, we will be able to access a ton of data to support a plan even if Canada is still experiencing some lingering issues. IT will allow the OHL to have better confidence in a start date.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
The way things are is going to stay for I think another year. It is going to take people trying to figure out how to contain the virus in areas like the GTA. Vaccines may do the trick but then again we are seeing people that are vaccinated getting the bug.

People have to realize 2 important things. 1 while a mask is not popular it does help. Distancing also makes you a little safer.

But life as we jow it of going out dancing and to crowded bars is done for a while.

Unfortunately, I think the best thing for Junior hockey to do is to say ok we tried. Then get back to planning for next year. Dressing rooms are going to have to be larger. player interaction off the ice is going to have to change.

Dressing rooms are going to be the major issue. They are small and sweaty heavy breathing players without masks on their faces who are going to be in contact with each other.
Billets are going to be an issue because of the daily lives they come into contact with a lot of people.

Fans coming to games seating is going to have to be changed and that will mean that you can sit with your family but you have to distance yourself from others 2 seats 2 rows.

Reactions: rangersblues

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Once vaccines are readily available to anyone who wants them, you'll see things return to somewhat normal... at least with the OHL. You'll get partial capacity at games, at least in the early going, and the worst thing might be masks while you're at your seat.

Reactions: rangersblues

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
The way things are is going to stay for I think another year. It is going to take people trying to figure out how to contain the virus in areas like the GTA. Vaccines may do the trick but then again we are seeing people that are vaccinated getting the bug.

People have to realize 2 important things. 1 while a mask is not popular it does help. Distancing also makes you a little safer.

But life as we jow it of going out dancing and to crowded bars is done for a while.

Unfortunately, I think the best thing for Junior hockey to do is to say ok we tried. Then get back to planning for next year. Dressing rooms are going to have to be larger. player interaction off the ice is going to have to change.

Dressing rooms are going to be the major issue. They are small and sweaty heavy breathing players without masks on their faces who are going to be in contact with each other.
Billets are going to be an issue because of the daily lives they come into contact with a lot of people.

Fans coming to games seating is going to have to be changed and that will mean that you can sit with your family but you have to distance yourself from others 2 seats 2 rows.

Your post is probably going to get deleted by I will reply anyway.

Regardless of infections, the vaccines are preventing serious illness. The goal is not to eliminate the virus, that will NEVER happen. No vaccine has ever irradiated a virus. The goal is to reduce hospitalizations and death. Based on trials and early results, the vaccines have done that.

Expect a delayed return to play with cautious attendance allowances int he early stages of next season followed by 100% capacity sometime in the New Year when they feel we are out of the woods.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Your post is probably going to get deleted by I will reply anyway.

Regardless of infections, the vaccines are preventing serious illness. The goal is not to eliminate the virus, that will NEVER happen. No vaccine has ever irradiated a virus. The goal is to reduce hospitalizations and death. Based on trials and early results, the vaccines have done that.

Expect a delayed return to play with cautious attendance allowances int he early stages of next season followed by 100% capacity sometime in the New Year when they feel we are out of the woods.

Wasn't polio considered a virus and wasn't it eradicated?

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Happened in the NCAA tournament in basketball and hockey

2 teams couldn't play in the hockey tournament, only 1 game out of 63 games didn't happen in the NCAA Tournament. Like any other league they pushed through.

I will be interested to see what happens with the transfer agreement with the CHL and NHL. There have been some impressive performances this year by 19 year olds in the AHL. We may see the OHL/CHL take a huge hit for years to come.

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
2 teams couldn't play in the hockey tournament, only 1 game out of 63 games didn't happen in the NCAA Tournament. Like any other league they pushed through.

I will be interested to see what happens with the transfer agreement with the CHL and NHL. There have been some impressive performances this year by 19 year olds in the AHL. We may see the OHL/CHL take a huge hit for years to come.

"Like any other league" .. except those playing in the Province of Ontario that are not billion dollar industries.

As for the CHL/NHL agreement, there will be no change. It's all part of the CBA, and that doesn't expire for another 5 years.

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history

You're missing the point, an amendment would still need to be made in the CBA. Last I read the players would like to get rid of the transfer agreement altogether. As much as the owners may want change they are not going to give the players something they want without getting something back. There's lot more at play here than simple "make the change"

You can view a copy of the CBA here.. again, and while the transfer agreement is separate, there are still components in the CBA that would mean changes would require opening it up again

Collective Bargaining Agreement - The PA | NHLPA.com

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
I imagine everyone in here could agree that the current CHL agreement is ridiculous and hurts everyone who takes the CHL path. Every year there are players in the leagues that clearly don't belong there, but they aren't ready for the NHL yet. It's a waste of 1 or 2 development years having them put up 120 points against 16 year olds when they could be with the NHL club's feeder team playing against men with members of their NHL organization. There's also a trickle down effect in that OHL-capable players are losing opportunities because the other players in the league can't progress.

How would changing this rule effect the landscape of the CHL? While the high-end talent wouldn't be the same, it makes things a lot more interesting in how teams g0 about building contenders. A team like the Frontenacs for example would have to change their strategy of being a bottom 4 team in the league for 4 out of every 5 years and in the 5th year trying to assemble an NBA-style super team. They would have a shortened time frame with the core of players they draft and would be forced to make something out of it quicker.

Reactions: swoopster

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I imagine everyone in here could agree that the current CHL agreement is ridiculous and hurts everyone who takes the CHL path. Every year there are players in the leagues that clearly don't belong there, but they aren't ready for the NHL yet. It's a waste of 1 or 2 development years having them put up 120 points against 16 year olds when they could be with the NHL club's feeder team playing against men with members of their NHL organization. There's also a trickle down effect in that OHL-capable players are losing opportunities because the other players in the league can't progress.

How would changing this rule effect the landscape of the CHL? While the high-end talent wouldn't be the same, it makes things a lot more interesting in how teams g0 about building contenders. A team like the Frontenacs for example would have to change their strategy of being a bottom 4 team in the league for 4 out of every 5 years and in the 5th year trying to assemble an NBA-style super team. They would have a shortened time frame with the core of players they draft and would be forced to make something out of it quicker.

I think if they made NHL first rounders available for AHL for their 19 year old year, that wouldn’t be bad. At least teams would know which ones would be eligible from a perspective of roster configuration for the following season.

sudburydinnerjacket

May 28, 2019

its great that some 19 year olds have had success. That said let’s not kid ourselves that the AHL is the AHL this year. Many of the top guys are up in the NHL on taxi squads. It’s watered down this year.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
its great that some 19 year olds have had success. That said let’s not kid ourselves that the AHL is the AHL this year. Many of the top guys are up in the NHL on taxi squads. It’s watered down this year.

How many of those taxi squad guys are big pieces of a franchise?? The guys that have performed at a high level in the AHL have these NHL teams investing a lot of money into them for the present and future.

Drysdale
Perfetti
Tomasino
Byfield
Kaliev
McMichael
Harley
Jarvis
Wisdom
Foerester
Perreault
Suzuki
Robertson
Rees

This isn't just a couple players it's a list of top prospects for these NHL teams. Why is it watered down you have never had this type of prospect talent at this age ever in the AHL a lot of those guys are going to be playing in the NHL and making lots of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad